JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mine's a custom 6mm Rem built by Portland OR gunsmith, Wes Reynolds, on a Czechoslovak commercial Mauser action! Butter knife bolt, custom made trigger guard and floor plate! It's very accurate! I'll never sell it! :)

No, I wish, that was made by LAGS Custom Gunsmithing in Mesa, AZ, no, he doesn't have a website. ;) Do note, it has a spare mag holder in the butt, so if I am out woods walking, I have the VERY custom 10 round mag he made, (prototype, that why it looks weird), and the extra five in the butt, perfect for what I call the CZ 527 M/CSR, for Camp/Scout Rifle.

Making magazines?? That man sounds like a true craftsman.

Mine's a custom 6mm Rem built by Portland OR gunsmith, Wes Reynolds, on a Czechoslovak commercial Mauser action! Butter knife bolt, custom made trigger guard and floor plate! It's very accurate! I'll never sell it! :)

What's the 6mm round compare to recoil-wise?

Making magazines?? That man sounds like a true craftsman.
He is. He rebuilds Mausers into practical works of gun smithing art. The stock was hand carved, inletted, bedded and pillared. The magazine retention setup on the bottom of the butt is hand made and works flawlessly. He's been rebuilding firearms for decades. Small example photo of some work he's done on non rifles, as well.

<broken image removed>

These two Suicide Specials were part of a box of broken and "demilled" wall hangers out of a bar. The British Bulldog had never been fired, as it's barrel was actually .34 caliber, not .38. Larry rebuilt them all to working condition, which included making the hammer for the Bulldog our of bar stock, and many other parts on these two and three other little revolvers. The ammo he hand makes by hammering a 9mm cast slug through a .34 cal hole in a steel sheet, loading it into a necked down .38 Smith and Wesson brass loaded lightly for a 100 year old revolver.

<broken image removed>

This IS full recoil. I kid thee not.

<broken image removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the 6mm round compare to recoil-wise?

Similar to the .243. Greater case capacity, so good for reloaders.
When they came out the public went with the .243 instead of the 6mm. Remington flubbed the advertising by pushing the 6mm as a combo medium game/varmint rifle, which it is but not with the factory rounds and twist rates of the time. With the hand loads the 6 is a great varmint round! It can pretty much turn a yodel dog into a head, tail and red vapor! They just didn't sell, so today factory loads are very hard to find! I'd just go with a .243 today and just avoid the hassle! :)

He is. He rebuilds Mausers into practical works of gun smithing art. The stock was hand carved, inletted, bedded and pillared. The magazine retention setup on the bottom of the butt is hand made and works flawlessly. He's been rebuilding firearms for decades. Small example photo of some work he's done on non rifles, as well.

<broken image removed>

These two Suicide Specials were part of a box of broken and "demilled" wall hangers out of a bar. The British Bulldog had never been fired, as it's barrel was actually .34 caliber, not .38. Larry rebuilt them all to working condition, which included making the hammer for the Bulldog our of bar stock, and many other parts on these two and three other little revolvers. The ammo he hand makes by hammering a 9mm cast slug through a .34 cal hole in a steel sheet, loading it into a necked down .38 Smith and Wesson brass loaded lightly for a 100 year old revolver.

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

It's incredible that people have the skills to do this. You could give me a manual and everything else I'd need and I'd still be completely lost.

Similar to the .243. Greater case capacity, so good for reloaders.
When they came out the public went with the .243 instead of the 6mm. Remington flubbed the advertising by pushing the 6mm as a combo medium game/varmint rifle, which it is but not with the factory rounds and twist rates of the time. With the hand loads the 6 is a great varmint round! It can pretty much turn a yodel dog into a head, tail and red vapor! They just didn't sell, so today factory loads are very hard to find! I'd just go with a .243 today and just avoid the hassle! :)

Very cool info. You sure don't hear much about it.

Last Edited:

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

Great revolvers! Talented guy! :D

It's incredible that people have the skills to do this. You could give me a manual and everything else I'd need and I'd still be completely lost.

Very cool info. You sure don't hear much about it.

SIGAHOLIC is absolutely correct about it's flubbed introduction.
At that time Americans also held anything that ended in "mm" in low regard. It denoted a European measurement that was at that time held in distaine by us here in the states.
Since that time the cartridge has began a bit of a resurgence, with the rate of twist changes and bullet designs it has came into its own, and as a reloaders cartridge it leaves the .243 in it's wake.
Using IMR 4831, it pushes a 100 grain bullet 3150 FPS, which comes very close to the much praised 240 weatherby magnums top 100 grain load (3206 FPS) and leaves the .243's top 100 grain (2869) slightly lagging.
It's not uncommon of late to see them even at the local BI-marts due to its recent rise in popularity
As folks have began to take notice once again of this little cartridges capabilities.
With the use of 105 grain bullets, this little demon really comes into it's own as a hard hitting flat shooting medium game cartridge that I for one as a reloader would give the nod over the .243 any day.
I have a really nice little Mannlicher schonauer that came to me with a .6mm barrel with a 1-in-9 inch twist that is a tack driver, I'll try and remember to get and post a pic later.
If your looking for great medium game, light recoiling, fast and hard hitting cartridge Joe you won't go wrong with the .6mm.

Nothing against the .243 mind you, as it is a proven little game getter that does just fine.
But if you hand load, why not go with the superior round?

Winchester model 70 short action in .308 with a 26" heavy barrel. Up top? A cheap but very accurate Tasco 3-12 power Mil-Dot scope left on 10x all the time. I use the Mil-Dots and the military math equations for judging distance. If you look through the scope. You could not tell if it was a cheap Tasco or a Luepold mark IV. But when I leave it on 10x it shoots just like the expensive scope. The Mil-Dots and cross hairs look the same. I have taken 8 of my 9 deer with this rifle. I hunt the wheat fields of eastern Washington and have reached out as far as 450 yards to take a deer with one round. At 100 yards I can easily put 6 rounds in a 3" circle. That's me moving tryin to hold a steady and not the way the rifle shoots.

<broken image removed>

Well I'm down to one bolt action rifle, a Winchester M70 in 30-06, so I guess that is my favorite bolt action rifle, though my USGI .30 Caliber M1 Carbine is a close second.

Well Mr. Hook, if your going to have just one hunting rifle, the m-70 is the one I'd have! Damned hard to beat.

That's cool, AM! Any chance of photos of his Mauser's? :)

This is him with a Spanish Mauser 1916 he converted from .308 to 8MMJS. He gave it to me, and I use it all the time now with cast loads. It was his first "rebuild rifle" and has been rebuilt so many times he can't remember what it originally looked like.

<broken image removed>

This is a Mosin he modified into what he calls the AKMN.

<broken image removed>

This is him with a Spanish Mauser 1916 he converted from .308 to 8MMJS. He gave it to me, and I use it all the time now with cast loads. It was his first "rebuild rifle" and has been rebuilt so many times he can't remember what it originally looked like.

<broken image removed>

This is a Mosin he modified into what he calls the AKMN.

<broken image removed>

I like that Mosin -- unique!

Last Edited:

New Resource Reviews

Back Top