JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to clear up something I posted here. I mentioned two of my rifles are "customized". Not by a high-end gunsmith, but, by a late friend of mine. Both got Timney triggers, he re-finished both stock and re-did the recoil pads. That is what I meant. Thanks.

"Favorite" is an elusive bird since for me it requires quantity and familiarity. I have shot a few fine rifles belonging to others but though they were Cadillac's for sure, never spent more than a few rounds with them.
Of the accessible, more generic end, I have many years leaving my sweat print on a wood stocked Ruger M77 from the 70"s in .270 and am very fond of it. I would recommend one in a heart beat and likely be the last gun I sell. My newly acquired (2 years ago) older Remington 700 in .243 is a real pleasure and a little purdier than the Ruger but mechanically difficult to separate.
I have not experienced the Ruger Precision, Do not like things that can get entangled in my beard, and after raising two daughters in the dark ages do not care for the color black.
That said, I have owned and sold a few Ruger Pistols and rifles, with high praise and zero complaints excepting maybe the disassemble of my MK1 22 pistol.
All in all, I don't believe you can go wrong with a Ruger.
(If you put a wood stock on it:))

I have a combination of the two rifles you mentioned, a Ruger M77 in .243 :D One of the rifles I inherited from my grandfather. I'll never sell it.

I have actually thought about buying the one with the bull barrel. Every place I have checked are sold out :(

That's a good thing, right??

I have a combination of the two rifles you mentioned, a Ruger M77 in .243 :D One of the rifles I inherited from my grandfather. I'll never sell it.

That's a good thing, right??

One of my favorite bolts ive ever shot was a Ruger M77 Target in 243. They do a number on rock chucks and the gun barely moves after each shot. Wouldn't want to pack it around though.

One of my favorite bolts ive ever shot was a Ruger M77 Target in 243. They do a number on rock chucks and the gun barely moves after each shot. Wouldn't want to pack it around though.

I haven't shot it in years. I'll have to take it out soon.

image.jpg I've had the absolute pleasure of owning several very fine units that were and are excellent rifles, these have all been passed down to my kids and Grandkids,, all but one.
That one will eventually go to my oldest son, who I'm sure will pass it on to his own kids.
Sorry about the long winded response but this is the game gettingest, light weight, most accurate some bum that I've had the pleasure of fondleing in the hills.
Between the kids, wife and friends that have packed and shot it, there have been many tons of deer bear and elk taken with it (throw in a couple cougars for good measure) they've dubbed it the "magic stick".
It's a pre 64 style model 70 Winchester stainless 30-06 in a beautiful walnut stock.
I'm especially fond of her, she's not the most expensive critter in the stable, but she is the my favorite!

My first deer rifle was a M70 in 30-06 although it was a newer one. I no longer have it but replaced it with a different lighter weight M70 again in 30-06. Neither one had any sentimental value but i've enjoyed them both.

Not sure what either of them weighted, but I can sure tell a difference packing them around! The one I own currently has a shorter, "pencil" barrel on it compared to my old one. Probably wouldn't do too well once it was blasted more than a couple times in a row and got hot but I love it for hunting.

The m-70 classic feather weight
Comes in at just over 6 pounds!
Add rounds and with a decent scope it comes in around 7-1/2.
That's under what most are shipped at dry.

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to weigh my Ruger M77 and Weatherby Mark V when I get a chance and see what they're at.

Favorite bolt? CZ 527M/CSR, modified a wee bit.

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

Not the worlds greatest shot, by ANY means.

<broken image removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite bolt? CZ 527M/CSR, modified a wee bit.

<broken image removed>

<broken image removed>

Not the worlds greatest shot, by ANY means.

<broken image removed>

That's a beautiful stock, did you make it yourself?

Last Edited:
No, I wish, that was made by LAGS Custom Gunsmithing in Mesa, AZ, no, he doesn't have a website. ;) Do note, it has a spare mag holder in the butt, so if I am out woods walking, I have the VERY custom 10 round mag he made, (prototype, that why it looks weird), and the extra five in the butt, perfect for what I call the CZ 527 M/CSR, for Camp/Scout Rifle.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top