JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the process of building one of those right now. The Zermatt Arms TL3 action will be at the FFL's place in about a week; will be just over $1400 by the time it's in my hands. I assembled a cost estimate for the rifle today: It will be just a few dozen dollars short of $4000 without a scope. Add a nice Nightforce and the first shot will have the cost at about $6400. I could save about $2000 if I built the rifle as a standardized cartridge, but of what fun is that? I'm building a mildcat round that is pretty much the 6.5mm Creedmoor lengthened by 0.266 inches. I have calculated the case volume to be 70 grains of water, sans the neck.
The above-described rifle will not be built. A series of circumstances and events in my life, rooted in the Coronavirus Decade, has canceled any further progress. The rifle would have employed one of those MagPul Pro 700 stocks, an X-Caliber barrel in 6.5-284 and a very light trigger in the $250 range. Wondering now what to do with a left bolt/right port short action with a bolt face for the .308 Winchester...

Pic rail is 20 MOA, if anyone wonders...

TL3 action 01.JPG TL3 action 02.JPG TL3 action 03.JPG

Last Edited:
Would putting the bolt handle on the right side (short of getting a new bolt) be feasible?

"The above-described rifle will not be built. A series of circumstances and events in my life, rooted in the Coronavirus Decade, has canceled any further progress. The rifle would have employed one of those MagPul Pro 700 stocks, an X-Caliber barrel in 6.5-284 and a very light trigger in the $250 range. Wondering now what to do with a left bolt/right port short action with a bolt face for the .308 Winchester...

Pic rail is 20 MOA, if anyone wonders..."

"Favorite" is an elusive bird since for me it requires quantity and familiarity. I have shot a few fine rifles belonging to others but though they were Cadillac's for sure, never spent more than a few rounds with them.
That said, I have owned and sold a few Ruger Pistols and rifles, with high praise and zero complaints excepting maybe the disassemble of my MK1 22 pistol.
All in all, I don't believe you can go wrong with a Ruger.
(If you put a wood stock on it:))
Yeah the Ruger MKI takedown... ain't it fun? Took mine down ONCE in 40 years- no joke. Probably won't do THAT again unless I drop it in mud or something...

Would putting the bolt handle on the right side (short of getting a new bolt) be feasible?
Doubtful, without so much money spent to do it that it would be a better investment to buy a right bolt/right port receiver. Hardly matters now, anyway. Joe BiteMe and Camelface Hera will issue an order that outlaws all privately-owned firearms, such firearms to be immediately surrendered to members of the local Crips and Bloods street gang members. Failure to surrender your grandfather's 1910 Model 94 in 32 WinSpcl will be a capital offense.

...............any and all BIDEN & CAMELTOESHARRIS THINK they can legally take away from us, THIER EMPLOYEERS, INCLUDING, all of the politicians in this entire countries system.

Muchadovboutnuffins here, "They" can make all the laws they want, unless they Grow-a-set, and actually try and enforce anything, their laws are toothless! How many mags were turned in in N.J? How many of those evil bump stocks? How many folks were caught and prosecuted in Colorado or Komiforniacation land? spoiler, None!

Which is your favorite bolt-action rifle?

This one is tough for me as I haven't had a chance to spend much time behind bolt-action guns. I hope to resolve that with a Ruger Precision Rifle in the near future, once I can decide on the caliber :)
Have owned and fired many bolt rifles, none compare to my 721 in .270, has gotten me through 42 seasons, successfully.

0699_n.jpg 505CA9BC-48CF-4B3F-9BD2-DA8B6D0785A2.JPG IMG_3665.JPG

Usually it would be which ever I have in my hands at the time! Right now its ground squirrel season! So todays favorite is a Marlin 25 M, rebarreled to a 17 HMR. I used a Green Mountain bull barrel for a Ruger and recut the stub end, and added a second action bolt. After some trigger work this has become my favorite squirrel getter! DR

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top