JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which caliber for next AR-15 build??

• .300 Blackout

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 6.8 Remington SPC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7.62 x 39

• .458 Socom

• .50 Beowulf

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
The build I just finished and the one that I am working on now both have .223 Wylde barrels. I am looking for input on which caliber to use for my next build.
This will be on a .223/5.56 lower, so I think there are a few choices. Let me know which caliber you like and why. Also, please make a selection in the poll above.
Thanks.

I voted 7.62x39
I like the availability of cheap ammo, and I don't shoot this caliber much past 200 yds. Of course, to shoot cheaply you have to run steel case ammo. Mine will be receiving a thermal NV setup instead of the current red dot. FMJ, Soft tip, or Hollow Point ammo is all the same price too.

Mine is built from Palmetto parts and has been flawless.

+1 on the .300 B.O. suppressed! I did mine as an SBR, so I didn't have to worry about unjust laws!

Next one was going to be a .458 but got a smoking deal on a PSA .308, so now I don't know what i'm gonna build!
might twist together a .243 top end Coyote wacker for the Wife!

300 blk pistol because everyone needs one concealed in there truck for shtf situations.
I had that same thought but decided on a 12 inch 6.5 Grendel in case I needed more reach. Still fits in a tennis racket case just fine.

6.5 Grendel.jpg

Since this will be a rifle, I think I am going to go with either the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC. I want something with a little more punch than a 5.56. Eventually I will build an AR-10 (off of an 80% lower), but that won't be anytime soon.

6.5 Grendel is about the same as you already have in the 6.8 so that does not make sense. I would lean suggesting to go with your plan to build a nice 20" 5.56. You could also consider a 300 Blackout, but not a caliber that I have or wish to have.

Wouldn't mind a grendel but if I did that I think I would build a rifle so I can reach even farther :D
I have the "reach even farther" covered with Styers in 308, 300 Win Mag, and .50 M-2. I wanted something a bit smaller to carry that hit harder than 5.56 and with the "poison" bullet design (from the 5.45x39) loaded in 6.5 Grendel by the russians, it was a sure thing.

I have the "reach even farther" covered with Styers in 308, 300 Win Mag, and .50 M-2. I wanted something a bit smaller to carry that hit harder than 5.56 and with the "poison" bullet design (from the 5.45x39) loaded in 6.5 Grendel by the russians, it was a sure thing.

Nice!! That makes perfect sense to me. But then with guns it doesn't take much to persuade me! ;)

My wife and I both have .300 blacks and they are good deer getters, two years out, 4 deer in the freezer and I reload so it is no problem for us. Light recoil, nice shooting guns, but where we hunt we are rarely presented with a shot over 150 yards.

At lot of people hooting and hollering about the .224 valkyrie right now, but I have not had time to really check it out.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top