JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Dad took my sister and up in the mountains in CA, I was 3 and my sister was 13. He was a LEO at the time and felt it was necessary for her and I to learn, I agreed. It was a .25 cal. semi automatic pistol, I can't remember the brand, but I know she still has it. I think he finally gave it to her a few years ago. I took her shooting about a year and a half ago when she visited us in OR. My Dad instilled firearm safety in me at a very young age. I got my hunting license when I was 10 or 11 I think; I've been shooting almost my entire life and absolutely love it. Shot archery competitively when I was 14, my Dad would take me around. to various competitions in CA. Ah those were the days...

I took hunter safety when I was 9, the age was supposed to be 10 but they let me in early. Shot first dear the following fall, a small spike horn. Hunted most of my life since then and now at 68 get to the range here weekly when weather permits. Most of the summer don't as it's just to HOT to be out there. Have a variety of rifles/handguns. Everyday carry is a hellcat with 15+1. We used to take 22's out all the time in the 60's and walk the railroad tracks hunting woodchucks, they used to come out and lay on the tracks soaking up the sun. Farmers hated them and were more than glad to let us hunt them all the time, cows would step in a woodchuck hole and break a leg, a costly thing for a farmer. Dad would take us out at night and just ride around the countryside looking for them, would rotate who got to shoot. Such fun we had riding around!
Anyhow.................

I have no kids. I fired my first round at about six years old. My dad had me sit on his lap, he held his Model 70 and I squeezed the trigger. That was around 1963 or '64. I bought my first rifle in April 1983; a used Colt AR-15 Sporter II. I was 25. I now own "a few" more firearms than I did forty years ago. Never had any formal training, schools or even ad hoc instruction. My dad told me when I was maybe seven or eight to "never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy." One time. That's all it took. I have never pointed a gun at anything I do not intend to destroy, such as an inanimate target. I have never pointed even an unloaded gun at another person. I don't know how Nicholas Cage and John Travolta did it in their movie, Face/Off. Pointing a gun at someone who is not threat to me is something my mind will not allow me to do. Pulp Fiction would be another movie with lots of guns pointed at other people.

In my forty years of owning guns, I have never had an inadvertent discharge. My finger is off the trigger and the safety is on until I'm at the line and ready to send lead downrange...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top