JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to see what most of you carry on a regular basis. For me it's either my Dan Wesson CCO 1911 or a Kahr PM9 if I'm dressing lightly.

I've considered picking up one of those LCRs for quite some time now. How do you like it compared to the steel offerings from S&W?

I've considered picking up one of those LCRs for quite some time now. How do you like it compared to the steel offerings from S&W?
It is lighter than the steel by far, I almost forget it's there. I'm not a S&W fan but I would even go with it instead of the airweight on in hand feel alone.

Sometimes when I go to hike in the local National Parks, I carry a Beretta 90-TWO (type F) loaded and open. That's about the only place in CA where I can carry a sidearm under 21, so I make the most of it. It's not the best for animal protection, but great for 2-legged predators.

I got the Beretta from a great LGS for $599 (the MSRP used to be around $700). It's a bit big but very light and surprisingly easy to conceal with a good pancake-type holster, and very comfy in an good belt holster (with a quality gunbelt, normal belts are too flexible). The ergonomics are great, with the exception of the safety/decocker. The first double-action pull is enough that I feel fine carrying it safety-off, but I may change out the safety for a bigger one in the future.

To this day the Beretta 92F is the gun I feel I'm the most accurate with out of the box. I'm not sure what it is, I just hit what I'm aiming for. I really need to pick one up. Good to hear you can carry *somewhere* in California :)

Funny, I carried a Glock 19 for years. I need to get another one, I really miss that dumb piece of plastic! Buffet carry? Never heard that term...

The Glock definitely make nice carry guns. I got to carry a relative's G22 on several occasions and the light weight is pretty awesome. I imagine the compact variants are even better. For some reason I have never been all that accurate with it. I blame the snappy .40 in a light frame (OK, OK, and my lack of practice with .40s in general).

Honestly, I'm really not a fan of .40 in general, especially in Glocks. I prefer the high capacity, easily-well-placed 9mm or the expands-to-a-quarter .45ACP.

That's how I feel as well, but since my family is full of LEOs (issued .40 Glock 22s) I am the minority. I love 9mm, and am hoping I'll be able to shoot a .45 someday soon to see what all the fuss is about.

I almost bought a Glock 21 (.45) instead of my 9mm Beretta, but the Gen 4s are not on the California Handgun Roster (extortion scam) so it's not available easily, and if I was going to put down that much money I wanted the best I could get. The Beretta was a one-in-a-million, since it's not on the roster either but was available through a private party at the perfect time.

Glock 26 with 124 gr JHPs and a S&W 638 airweight for town/ Glock 20SF with 200 gr for the woods/mountain and desert.

I've never been a fan of the baby Glocks until last week when my brother had me handle the one he carries. I was really surprised how comfortable it was with the pinky extension. I need to go try it out.

By the way, welcome to the site :)

IIRC, to sell handguns in CA, the company must pay a large fee to the govt and supply several test guns, pay a ridiculous sum to a state-chosen lab (usually owned by whoever payed off the governor that election cycle) to test them for "safety", and then pay an annual fee. If any fee is not payed, the gun is deemed "unsafe" and cannot be sold by gun shops (but still but private parties) or imported into the state. This often leads to stupid stuff like a 2006 gun being OK but a 2007 gun of the same exact model being "unsafe". It also makes many new guns impossible to get on the roster at all if they lack any newly-devised "safety" requirements.

The Gen 4 Glocks are not on because they are deemed different enough from the past Glocks that they need a new test, and cannot be put on by the annual fee. Since they lack the now-needed stupidity (mag safeties and other nonsense) they cannot be gotten here unless Glock pays some bribes to get the stuff waived (and I don't think they will) or makes a CA-specific model (with a lot of nonsense built in). The Beretta isn't on because it lacks just about everything that's required (no mag safety, the reason I liked it so much, and no trigger safety).

It's an extortion racket that I hope will disappear soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Pena v. Cid is in the works to challenge it, but it's been in judicial limbo since late 2011.

Here, this about sums up how stupid it is, and whats being done to get it ousted from the books: http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=293

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top