What's your primary carry gun?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Joe Link, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

This has always been one of my concerns and the reason I don't open carry. You should start a new thread and tell us that story!

Hook686 likes this.
  2. Tommy

Tommy
    Az

I carry a Smith & Wesson 9C.Nice little pistol carry it everywhere day and night. Whether I go to work or walk my dog. My wife has only asked me one time if I had it on me. We went into a grocery store that had a policeman as a security person at the front door. I laughed and said of course I do. We made our purchase and left no problems at all. If I'm carrying my backpack I have my Sig MPX with arm brace in there. Never give either one a thought. The S&P is usually in a smart carry or IWB holster.

3. armoredman

armoredman
    Arizona

<broken image removed>

CZ SP-01 Phantom, now sporting a complete tune up/Pro Carry Package from Cajun Gun Works. Flawless sidearm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
    Joe Link likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart
    Scottsdale

M&P40 usually with Federal 180 gr HST, or Hornady 180 gr. XTP when deeper penetration is desired.

P1000841-Edit.jpg

Carried in a High Noon Bare Asset holster
    P1000847-Edit.jpg

P1030814.jpg

If I want to really go lightweight and compact, I choose the M&P40C, shown with spare 15-round magazine.
    P1010171.jpg

5. armoredman

armoredman
    Arizona

I just completed a week of carrying the CZ P-10C in a High Noon Close Encounter hybrid rig.

<broken image removed>

The holster is actually made for the CZ P-09, but oddly enough the P-10C snaps right in. You can hear the click, and retention is perfect. Reholstering requires both hands and the P-10C hangs up on the holster mouth, but other than that, it is good to go. I found the P-10C to carry perfectly, easily and with no discomfort from the aggressive texturing...partially because I sanded down the front and back straps slightly, but the sides I never touched. No worries, felt great. After tonight the P-0C will rehouse in the safe while the Phantom will emerge again (I like two spare mags and I only have one right now for the P-10C), and await the real High Noon holster to show up. :)
    P-10C on the hotel bed - I hate hotel beds.

<broken image removed>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017
  6. armoredman

armoredman
    Arizona

Dhart, nice High Noon gear! Never fired an M&P other than the original 38 Special revolver. What do you think of the dirt cheap Shields Smith is selling right now?

7. DHart

DHart
    Scottsdale

I have looked at, fondled, and considered Shields several times. Every time, right before pulling out my wallet to buy, I realize that my M&P40C and M&P9C are pretty much just as easy to conceal (for me), have significantly greater capacity, and feel better (more palm filling) in the hand... thus... I have not spent a penny on any Shields (as nice as they happen to be).

I bought a Kahr PM9 and a SIG P938 thinking that I needed something that small to conceal. But in hindsight, both of these pistols spend all of their time in the safe. I can just as easily carry my M&P40C. And if I MUST go smaller, I go with my S&W 640 .357 magnum in the pocket of my cargo shorts or in the back pocket.

The Shields are excellent guns... but with slightly more girth, the M&P Compact models are even better! And I find them plenty easy to carry!

P1000906.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. Jammers1971

Jammers1971
    Gilbert, AZ

I bought my gf the M&P 9C for Xmas 3 years ago. She absolutely loves it. I like it too, interchangeable grips make for that perfect fit, easy conceal. Weighty enough that sub compact is pleasant.

In the compact/sub compacts not a huge difference between single and double stack for concealment at the end of the day.

Joe Link likes this.
  9. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

I have a confession -- I've been pocket carrying my Ruger LCP 2 daily for the past month or so.

At first it was because I seem to have lost my belt during a move, but I now have two new gun belts. No reason to not carry more gun, it's just incredibly convenient not having to worry about something on my waist (especially with shorts and a light t-shirt). I'm absolutely mixed as to whether it's enough gun and honestly, I've been trying not to think about it :confused:

10. Jammers1971

Jammers1971
    Gilbert, AZ

I appendix carry my P-07. Have for over a year now. No issues with shorts and t-shirts. Took a few holsters to get the one that worked best for me. Conceals VERY well.

My girlfriend thought I'd quit carrying altogether and after about a month and a half asked me why I'd stopped. I asked her stopped what? She said stopped carrying my pistol to which I pulled up my t-shirt. She laughed and just said that when suddenly I had a waistline (I typically carried at the 3-4 o'clock, mag at 8-9) she assumed I wasn't packing.

Joe Link likes this.
  11. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

I think I need to try this. How big is the P-07? No concerns over having a gun pointed in that direction? Which holster did you decide on?

12. Jammers1971

Jammers1971
    Gilbert, AZ

LOTS of concerns over having a gun pointed in that direction. But a gun doesn't go off by itself, so just typical ABSOLUTE safe gun handling which I adhere to avidly anyway. Currently I have a Rawdog IWB holster modified with a yoga mat wedge for both my Bersa and the P-07. Works great and their holsters are only $35. But they don't make one for the P-10C, I asked. So I'll either order one from Dara, Black Arch, or Black Point(Holster/Mag carrier combo) oooorrrrr I'll get my lazy butt out into the hot garage and make one. I have enough Kydex sheet out there to make a suit of armor... Have made many before and though sometimes it's a bit of R&D, I always make one that works great and is secure and comfy. lol

Joe Link likes this.
  13. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to check out their offerings and give it a shot. Looks like the P-07 is about the same size as a Glock 19?

14. Jammers1971

Jammers1971
    Gilbert, AZ

Similar in size, yup. But feels smaller to me because of the better shaped grip, softer edges, bevels, and less 'blocky' slide. Might actually be smaller too, it's been a while since I've had a G19 in my hands to look and an compare.

15. Hook686

Hook686
    Sacramento, CA

Trooper Mark Coats found that 6 .357 magnum 145 gr, Hps was not enough, while 1 shot from a .22 rim fire killed him
    ... .380 is often better than a sharp stick, but not always.

16. PDub

PDub
    Surprise, Az

My primary carry is a Sig P250 in 45 ACP. Easy to carry subcompact size, plus i can swap it to a full size if i so desire. I picked up this little gem today for a steel though, so after testing i think this will be carried about half the time when it needs to be really unobtrusive. 52142016968__50652596-1D37-4075-AB41-5AC8B436BD99.JPG IMG_0664(1).JPG

17. techieguy

techieguy New Member

My EDC is still my old Kimber 1911. I've had some work done to it to make it more comfortable to carry ( rounding the MSH for example). I know it heavy compared to what most people carry, but I shoot it well. I have a couple other choices, the first choice is another 1911 in 10mm, then either an M&P9 or Sig P238 if I need really small concealed carry.

18. Jammers1971

Jammers1971
    Gilbert, AZ

I carried a 1911 full size at the 4 o'clock for many years. Agreed, large and heavy, but still completely doable. Definitely a lot more convenient carrying a more compact polymer framed pistol. Lol. Plus I now carry at appendix. The full size wouldn't work for me there.

19. AZCNC

AZCNC
    Arizona

Sig 938 in a pocket holster the majority of the time.
    Cooler months when I wear a t-shirt with an untucked button up shirt, I will carry my preferred 1911.

20. Clem

Clem New Member

Seeing how things are in our current society, I suggest that everyone carry at home or at least have something with in arms reach at all times.

PDub likes this.