JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll be a rectal aperture and post-up my hiking and camping smokepole...

hiking & camping weapon.JPG

Mostly a .44 Redhawk or Mod 28 Smith .357. A 12ga 870 or Mossie 500, both tricked out for night security work. Of course I might have an AK handy, or an FAL.. depends on my mood. But the shotties Ive used to good effect on more bears than I can remember while employed as a park ranger, usually non-lethal rubber buck/ball and flash-bang rounds.

460 Rowland on 1911 frame with CM 10 shot mag. Or my Springfield XD Sub that I shoot 45 super in , more bbs than the 1911.

Last Edited:
I have a Taurus 247 in .45 and a green laser that I carry almost everywhere. Inexpensive enough that I would not be crying if I "lost it"

I have an Aero 10mm survival rifle that frequently throw in the back seat. I believe it is capable of 100yd shots. If necessary. Small compact, wanted a Camp Rifle could not find one for less money than I paid for the Aero.

Handgun, the same one I carry all the time, CZ P-10C. Long gun, this one. CZ 527M/CSR 7.62x39mm with custom 10 round mag. That's what it's called - Camp Scout Rifle. Other than that perhaps my AR15, but chances are if I am out bebopping in the woods it will be the handgun. 9mm can take down dang near all wildlife in Southern AZ if need be.

View attachment 4795
The last Grizzly killed in Alaska that I knew of was by a fishing guide and it was shot (a lot) with an S&W 9mm. That said, I normally carry a 12 Ga or my .457 WW Co-Pilot when out on the farm or fishing with a 10mm or .44 Mag when I don't think I need a gun up there.

P9121177 (3).JPG
This guy was on the farm.

Down here normally a .357 with birdshot upfront.

Last Edited:
The last Grizzly killed in Alaska that I knew of was by a fishing guide and it was shot (a lot) with an S&W 9mm. That said, I normally carry a 12 Ga or my .457 WW Co-Pilot when out on the farm or fishing with a 10mm or .44 Mag when I don't think I need a gun up there.

View attachment 17831
This guy was on the farm.

Down here normally a .357 with birdshot upfront.
Nice…. you sportin' an Aimpoint PRO?

. . . AR-15 pistol with brace. Overall I think an AR pistol is a good compromise, it's small and light (I think mine is ~3-4lbs) and packs an immense amount of firepower. Unless you need to duke it out with an army of bears, the AR pistol is going to solve those problems fairly definitively.
A nice one about which I know NNNNNOTHHHIIING!

AR-15 handgun - small.JPG

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top