JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now it's my daily carry: a cheapo Kershaw Oso Sweet. Made in China, but holds a nice edge and the action is smooth. Plus, I won't fret over losing it compared to my auto Benchmade.

I definitely know the value of having a range of knives of different values for different situations. I usually carry a Benchmade Infidel, but there are times I leave it at home.

002.JPG

Yep, there it is. Yours looks like it's in much better condition than mine, though I did get it for $150 :)

For EDC I've got a CRKT M16-13LE. Smooth opening that's adjustable, cheap enough that I won't lose sleep over abusing it, and comfy in my hand.

My other carry "weapon" is a Surefire 6PX Pro. It makes a decent pseudo-kubaton but doesn't freak people out, letting me carry it to places where even my pocket knife could cause issues. The bright 200 lumen light has come in handy on a few occasions as well, and not just for looking into dark places.

When hiking, I'll carry an OKC-3S bayonet. Rugged and durable, it also wasn't too pricy. It makes a good camp knife.

I have very little to contrast them with, since I've lived here all my life, but from my research I would say they are actually pretty bad.

Pocket knives are legal to carry as tools, but if you let it slip that you carry it for self-defense (even if it was said as only one possible reason among many), you are in some deep stuff unless you have a CCW (which covers concealed knives).

Most fixed-blades are acceptable as long as they are on the belt and "openly visible", which is up to the discretion of the LEO. Theoretically, a shirt or jacket covering the top half could make it concealed (again, requiring a CCW) if the LEO had a bad day.

"Dirks and Daggers" are legal to own but illegal to carry at all. This unfortunately includes my Gerber Mk2 (a personal favorite), which I didn't find out about until a LEO told me while I was carrying it hiking (and I verified, he was right). I'm glad the LEO who told me was a good one; the Fish and Game "cops" are known to regularly arrest for that sort of thing.

Batons or ASP batons are absolute no-no here. In addition to being specifically illegal by law (IIRC), the LEOs see batons as "LE only" items. Even close equivalents (like a pipe wrench under the truck seat or a length of PVC pipe in a car door pocket) have gotten people into big trouble just for possession if they couldn't justify having it.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm not positive this is all that bad compared to some places in the US, but it seems bad to me. It largely depends on the LEOs in the area. Some are fine with people walking around town with knives the size of my forearm, others will go ballistic (sometimes literally) if they see a pocket knife clip sticking out of your pocket.

Hmm, favorite. Well, I guess it would be different depending on the context of the question. But, this is the last one I'd get rid of.
AirForceKnife.jpg

I prefer an Atlatl. (I can't find my photos, at the moment. Here's a site: http://www.atlatl.com/)

Just for clarity:
Most primitive weapons enthusiasts agree... Atlatls are dart launching devices; not 'spear' launching devices. With early discoveries, modern archaeology got things wrong, and now we're stuck with the myth of the spear thrower.

If you call it a "spear thrower", I'll pour molten lead down your throat. ;) If you ever use a "spear thrower", then an Atlatl with darts, you'll understand why the "spear thrower" concept is so stupid and wrong; and why some indigenous peoples actually developed the Atlatl and dart as a replacement for the bow and arrow, or to be used along side it (contrary to popular belief that the bow and arrow replaced the Atlatl). All it takes is about 5 minutes with an Atlatl, and your understanding of the device and its evolution become crystal clear.

Sorry... I had to get that out there, early. Too many people are misinformed about the Atlatl.

Wow, that's awesome. Are there any modern versions available?
"Atlatl Bob" makes a 'Warrior' Atlatl that would be considered modernized by purists; but the design is still pretty basic. He sells them (and more traditional versions) through his website. There are several other people that sell them, as well; but I prefer Bob's work. He doesn't take any short cuts.

I have seen some home-built aluminum and steel (rod) Atlatls in the past, but most people are finding that the traditional materials, shapes, and construction methods are best. (Those "primitive" people really did know what they were doing.)