JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What were you carrying when we started the 21st century and what changes have you made since then?

Looking back to the Year 2000, I've made many changes in my choice of handguns to carry. I only owned two handguns at the start of this century. My duty weapon, a Smith and Wesson model 19-4, and a Colt Detective Special for off-duty. My first carry semi-auto was a Walther PPS40 which I still use but only on those rare occasions when I wear a suit or sport coat. Otherwise, it has been many S&W Gen3s in either 9mm or .40S&W. I like metal guns and seem to be a brand loyalist. I've owned other brands but keep coming back to the Gen3 S&Ws.

I seemed to rotate into a different model every year until two years ago. I've carried a 908, 6904, 6906, CS40, 3913LS, 6946, 3953, 4053. I favor the double action only single stack semi-autos today. A model 3953TSW I picked up on New Year Eve day may be next in line. I seem to be stuck in the 20th century.

What about you? What have you been carrying?

KelTec PF9....Oh Oh...Here comes the hate... Face bigsmyl.gif

hmmmm... so many firearms so little time! Pistol-wise, no real changes, still carry the BHP 9mm.. Added a Glock 21 and semi-retired my old favorite .45 Combat Commander. I do like the Glock 21 but wonder how it will last compared to the all-steel Colt autos.. Shouldnt matter to me, my heirs can worry about that...
Revolver, still have the ol Python, again semi-retired and use a S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman for .357 carry. I forget when exactly but around then added a .44mag Ruger Redhawk for "woods carry"- love the stainless as opposed to beating up my Py or Highway.....
Shotguns, same ol 870's tricked out for work, 20" barrels, extended mag tubes, one in original wood, the other in more modern black synthetic. Despise pistol grips on shotties so one of those went down the pipeline. Still have my old work Mossberg "riot gun" which retired with me a few years ago. That one stays by my bed loaded with "screamers" and airburst flares (used for runnin off bears, a useful thing where we live). Not that I need one, but a lightwieght 20 ga or a .410 double would be nice.
Rifles...... hmmmm... Same BLR Ive used all my adult life- (early version) .308 for hunting.. Picked up a 1950's heavily-gunsmithed example of a sporterised K98k in real nice shape. Someone put a lot of work and $$$ into turning a combat rifle (Steyr, 1938-marked on receiver) into a Europeanised hunting rifle. I may add some personal touches to it by mounting a 2X7 scope and jeweling and reconfiguring the bolt and handle and swapping the wood stock for a black synthetic.. just cuz I can :cool:.
Have gotten rid of some arms in the last 20 years as part of my PDP- personal divestment program. A lot of the military-style firearms have been sold off cuz the reason I got most of them in the first place no longer holds, in part cuz Ive been "aging out" of the active mil-spec scene:eek:. Can't carry more than one at a time anyway.
No new black powder guns, I maxed that out a long time ago and have a bit of everything in flint and cap N ball- EXCEPT, I'd like to have a double bbl flint fowling piece (fat chance). Seen an original gunsmith-built example in Michigan many years ago, it was @ 20 or 16 ga, built light for carrying in the field all day and was a genuine piece of Michigan history from around 1820 or so...

Last Edited:
Pistol wise, it was a 1911 series 70 Colt SXE while on leave, or M-9 while serving. Switched to a Delta Elite for a few years in the service, then back to the Beretta!
Usually carried ether a PPK or a CZ -82 when the weather was really nice, or as a back up to the 191 when traveling the hood!
Still rock the 1911, but now it's a hand built 2011 series double stack in 10 mm and the back up is ALWAYS a Para Wart Hawg double stack compact 1911 in 9 mm!
I also started carrying a carbine close at hand and always a full size/full power fighting rifle near by! For a truck gun, it's usually a 1903-A-4, or a 1895 Winchester, both in .30/06 and the carbine is a 5.56, ether a CAR-16 SBR, or a H-K mod 53 SBR!

My friends, brothers, and cousins always joke that sadly, what we used to carry every day is now what we carry as back up!

Personally, I find the need to carry abhorrent, you would think that in this day and age it wouldn't be like it IS, but it IS how it is, so, I carry like my life depends on it, because it very well might!
When they find my body, let them find it atop a smoking pile of brass with a spent rifle and pistol and a bloody Bowie near me!

I did recently ( in the last few years) start carrying a big magnum wheel gun again of some sort, usually my Dan Wesson 5 inch .44 Magnum, or my new fav, one of my Ruger Old Army's that's been seriously massaged and tricked out and fits somewhere between .44 mag and .454 Casull, ( closer the the later ) as my woods gun! Really like the Wesson for it's dependability and accuracy, but man, that Ruger is a powerhouse and accurate enough to be scary, plus, it's Old School and it shoots so naturally, makes me look a hell of a lot better then I actually am with a pistol!

Pistol wise, it was a 1911 series 70 Colt SXE while on leave, or M-9 while serving. Switched to a Delta Elite for a few years in the service, then back to the Beretta!
Usually carried ether a PPK or a CZ -82 when the weather was really nice, or as a back up to the 191 when traveling the hood!
Still rock the 1911, but now it's a hand built 2011 series double stack in 10 mm and the back up is ALWAYS a Para Wart Hawg double stack compact 1911 in 9 mm!
I also started carrying a carbine close at hand and always a full size/full power fighting rifle near by! For a truck gun, it's usually a 1903-A-4, or a 1895 Winchester, both in .30/06 and the carbine is a 5.56, ether a CAR-16 SBR, or a H-K mod 53 SBR!

My friends, brothers, and cousins always joke that sadly, what we used to carry every day is now what we carry as back up!

Personally, I find the need to carry abhorrent, you would think that in this day and age it wouldn't be like it IS, but it IS how it is, so, I carry like my life depends on it, because it very well might!
When they find my body, let them find it atop a smoking pile of brass with a spent rifle and pistol and a bloody Bowie near me!
I like the part about the bloody bowie... I have several good ones myself, but my pyre-knife might just be one of my kukris- can't stop getting "just one more"... ya know how it is Im sure...:p

In 2000 I carried a Glock 23 since it's what I qualified with, once I shot a friends Glock 19 I changed to 9MM as I'm more accurate and get better groups at speed. Now it's either my G26 or G19 depending on what I'm wearing. I'll occasionally carry my SW 686plus when I'm feeling fancy or the G20 if I'm in the woods.

In 99 I was living in a county that would not give permits. By 2000 I had moved to a pro 2a county, But had not yet gotten a permit. When I did get a new permit I was carrying pocket guns. PPK and a Beretta 70. These days I mostly EDC a S&W 642 in 38 SPL. Again in the pocket. The pocket guns just fit my lifestyle best. They are easiest to always have on me. DR

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top