JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really, I've been maybe getting too old and cynical. I've been doing a fair amount of solo camping (something that used to kinda freak me out in my younger days) and I've just been very DNGAF.

I've been trying to find more weird stuff, but just haven't seen much lately. Most of my trips to/from WA have been on the back-side via I-395, which compared to I-5 is a really nice road. Sure the CA portions are all screwed up, but the NV/OR/WA parts are in great shape. I have a number of different routes I've been taking, most of the time I'll do LA->Bishop and then I'll take Route 6 into NV and meet up with 95, which goes through Hawthorne NV (which is a recommended stop BTW, check out the Hawthorne Ordnance Museum). From there I can either cut west and get into Carson City/Reno (kinda've a back-track) or I can keep headed north, go through Winnemucca, and head either through Idaho or through Burns. Mostly it depends on the weather.

I kinda scared the crap out of myself last time I was headed down. I cut from LaPine over to Valley Falls (I-395) and caught a snow-storm. It was a very-much sub-optimal time, and with a little bit of luck, I cruised in to the truck stop in Lakeview and was able to crash out in my jeep for the night. The roads in that area are not very forgiving, and on both sides had steep shoulders going into the ditch. Crashing out ASAP was high on my list of things to do.

Heh good answer. As I age I understand why the older folks in my life weren't generally as worried or afraid (not to say they weren't prepared). I imagine with all the solo travel you do you'd be an especially good candidate to see some strange things, though you don't seem the type to blow things out of proportion.

I would love to get a jeep and go explore the superstition mountains. Rumor has it there is gold up in the hills and there is a tribe of old Indians protecting it. supposedly there have been a lot of guys that have gone looking and never came back.

Not saying I'm going for a treasure hunt just think it would be cool to go explore and find some old Indian artifacts or something. Just in case I will be armed to the teeth and my head on a swivel. ;)

I've been through the superstition's, it's rough country, really what you want is a horse, or even better a couple of pack mules. Cutting cross country is damn difficult, and 100 years ago it might not have been too big a deal to just go plowing across open country in a vehicle, these days it's part of a federal national forest and they want you to stay on established trails. Moving on foot with pack animals is probably the least impactful way to move off-trail, and isn't going to attract the ire of the local constablary.

If you really want to get "off into the nothing" these days, SE oregon, SW idaho, northern nevada, and even central nevada are about as remote as you can get. The area is full of mountains and playas, and in a lot of places there are only dirt roads. Look up Jungo road, it runs from Winnemucca through the nothing until it meets up with 447 just south of Gerlach. There's a mine, and a few geothermal developments, and some open range nearby, that's literally about it.

I've been through the superstition's, it's rough country, really what you want is a horse, or even better a couple of pack mules. Cutting cross country is damn difficult, and 100 years ago it might not have been too big a deal to just go plowing across open country in a vehicle, these days it's part of a federal national forest and they want you to stay on established trails. Moving on foot with pack animals is probably the least impactful way to move off-trail, and isn't going to attract the ire of the local constablary.

If you really want to get "off into the nothing" these days, SE oregon, SW idaho, northern nevada, and even central nevada are about as remote as you can get. The area is full of mountains and playas, and in a lot of places there are only dirt roads. Look up Jungo road, it runs from Winnemucca through the nothing until it meets up with 447 just south of Gerlach. There's a mine, and a few geothermal developments, and some open range nearby, that's literally about it.

If I went exploring up there I would stay to the trail's. If I did leave the jeep I would go on foot and still stay heavily armed just in case. I have heard there are some really cool places up there. I just like to explore and with my bad knee It would have to be by jeep or quad for the most part.

Sooner or later we're going to hear some Yeti or Bigfoot stories I'm sure.
I've spent a good chunk of my life in the sticks hunting, fishing and hikeing and my answer to the question that sometimes gets asked, (ever seen a Bigfoot?) is
Well, not yeti:D

Sooner or later we're going to hear some Yeti or Bigfoot stories I'm sure.
I've spent a good chunk of my life in the sticks hunting, fishing and hikeing and my answer to the question that sometimes gets asked, (ever seen a Bigfoot?) is
Well, not yeti:D

Dad joke :s0113:

You should scroll back and read my first entry, about the desert yeti.

I didn't assume it was a "Bigfoot" running @40mph, if it was he'd of tripped over his big feet, besides that I heard they also were packing heat these days too.
Your just lucky he didn't pull up and blast a few caps back in your directions for letting fly homie.
Up in the N/W they call those Sasquatch (run by shootings).
Though not as fleet of foot AMproducts, I hear their much more accurate than their southern brethren due to the fact that they evolved and hold their Sasquatch sidearms straight up instead of Sasquatch gangsta sideways:D
Just jerkin ya:s0108::s0094:

Towards the end of my tour in the ATL...not woods or desert, but jungle nonetheless.

Traffic was stopped in the HOV on the 75/85 southbound just before the peachtree underpass...dude in the rear passenger seat of a Hyundai was just sitting there pointing a semi-automatic pistol at passing drivers, me included.

A couple of buddies and I were out in the Superstitions riding our quads, exploring trails and generally enjoying the beautiful desert and our freedom to go there. We happened upon an old mine that looked like we could get into it to further "explore" things. We were all armed, had our riding gear on and thought of ourselves as he-men and kings of the desert. We were bad ombres - just ask us.

So we get our flashlights and slide under a fallen beam on our bellies to get into this mine. There's just enough room to squeeze under the thing, and it's a pretty small opening, but we go for it anyway. One guy at a time. Going from bright sunlight into a dark mine means it takes awhile for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. Even with flashlights it still looked dark. So all 3 of us are inside by this time and slowly making our way back into this mineshaft. There in front of us was a big pile of scat. We're wondering what animal it came from as we stumble past it in the dark. Of course, the only illumination is from the flashlights - that resemble about .05 watt candles at this point. Are the batteries any good in these things? We slowly make our way into a bigger "room".

Then we hear a very low growl.

Huh? We're inside this mine. We're armed, but firing a gun means a ricochet could probably kill us if the noise causing a rockslide didn't do us in as well. At this point we're frantically sweeping the room with our .05 candlepower dim bulbed flashlights, while trying to figure out where this noise came from. Is it a Bear? Mountain Lion? Wolf? Yeah, we're all badasses, but we're also thinking maybe we should leave about now.

Then somebody sees a pair of "glowing" eyes back in one of the shafts leading away from this bigger room. Picture 3 full grown men, more like picture the 3 stooges crashing into each other trying to get outta there!! What was that? By now we know that if it's coming after us - not all 3 of us are leaving through the small opening at the same time. We better figure out what's "after" us before we turn our backs on the thing to run away!!!!!!

So we all point our flashlights in the direction of the "glowing eyes".
There, crouched in the dark.....
Was this little Ring Tailed Cat.
Probably 18" long including the tail, which was probably half of the length.
The thought of the 3 of us bumping into each other trying to get away from this little kitty cat still make me laugh!!! Hahahahahahahahaha

We left that poor little kitty to his own private mineshaft, and slide back out and into the bright sunshine.
Another beautiful day in the desert!!!

A couple of buddies and I were out in the Superstitions riding our quads, exploring trails and generally enjoying the beautiful desert and our freedom to go there. We happened upon an old mine that looked like we could get into it to further "explore" things. We were all armed, had our riding gear on and thought of ourselves as he-men and kings of the desert. We were bad ombres - just ask us.

So we get our flashlights and slide under a fallen beam on our bellies to get into this mine. There's just enough room to squeeze under the thing, and it's a pretty small opening, but we go for it anyway. One guy at a time. Going from bright sunlight into a dark mine means it takes awhile for your eyes to adjust to the darkness. Even with flashlights it still looked dark. So all 3 of us are inside by this time and slowly making our way back into this mineshaft. There in front of us was a big pile of scat. We're wondering what animal it came from as we stumble past it in the dark. Of course, the only illumination is from the flashlights - that resemble about .05 watt candles at this point. Are the batteries any good in these things? We slowly make our way into a bigger "room".

Huh? We're inside this mine. We're armed, but firing a gun means a ricochet could probably kill us if the noise causing a rockslide didn't do us in as well. At this point we're frantically sweeping the room with our .05 candlepower dim bulbed flashlights, while trying to figure out where this noise came from. Is it a Bear? Mountain Lion? Wolf? Yeah, we're all badasses, but we're also thinking maybe we should leave about now.

Then somebody sees a pair of "glowing" eyes back in one of the shafts leading away from this bigger room. Picture 3 full grown men, more like picture the 3 stooges crashing into each other trying to get outta there!! What was that? By now we know that if it's coming after us - not all 3 of us are leaving through the small opening at the same time. We better figure out what's "after" us before we turn our backs on the thing to run away!!!!!!

The thought of the 3 of us bumping into each other trying to get away from this little kitty cat still make me laugh!!! Hahahahahahahahaha

We left that poor little kitty to his own private mineshaft, and slide back out and into the bright sunshine.

Great story! :s0112:

seen a very tall man right at dusk when heading in from deer hunting. plain clothes just standing and staring at me. gave him the "guy nod" and continued on my way.

never saw him again

Was coyote hunting with my uncle once and found a rotting yote skull shoved onto a stake in the ground. Also found a double barreled shotgun with the chamber area peeled like a banana and a rather human looking bone not 4 feet away. Got the hell out of there. The most terrifying was while hiking in Idaho with the same uncle. Found a dead monkey (no you aren't going blind) that was hanging from a tree with it's throats slit and the remains of a fire beneath it. Total WTF moment for both of us.

Last Edited:
Just jerkin ya:s0108::s0094:
IMG_1557.JPG
You been watching too much finding Bigfoot :p

That is so cool! I would love to see a ringtail!

<snip>

Some years ago (geeze... 12+ or so) I was working graveyard so I was often up at weird hours with nothing to do. One night I decided to drive out to the Hawes Bunker Complex, that used to be located off HWY 58, about 18 mi east of Kramer Junction. I had never been there before, but had a good idea where it was, I think I left around 3am or so, and since I was living in Pasadena at the time, I think I decided to take the "back way" up, which meant route 2, to angeles forest hwy, then up to 14, and eventually 58 (btw, this is the most terrible way to get there, I think it took 4 hours).

Anyways, I got there just after daybreak, looked around the site, exploring things, and eventually started to go inside. As usual, people had started fires inside, and the walls were covered in black soot, going from the warm desert morning inside even with a good flashlight really limited visibility. Same kinda story, heard weird sounds, and since I was alone I didn't want to invest a lot of time stumbling around in the dark, especially in the middle of nowhere desert.

I did eventually get back to visit the site with friends a few times before the government came in and bulldozed the site, it was a neat place, not as extensive as you would think a government communications bunker would be.

Not something I saw or found, but plenty weird nonetheless!

Back in the early '70's, my wife and I joined a REI backpacking lake cleanup in the Three Sisters Wilderness. All went well, the lake got cleaned and we all had a great time! Hiked back to the trail head and found out from the bus driver that two outlets up the highway, about a mile and 1/4, an axe murderer had killed two young women in they're tent! The guy had run over the tent and finished the job by hacking them up with his axe!
I was unarmed on this trip, but I never went to the woods again without a 6" .357 mag.

As kids, my cousin and I both had Honda 3-wheelers; a 200 Big Red and a 250X (or something like that). Used to ride them dawn till dusk.

He lived wayyyy out in the sticks of North LA, right near the AR border. We decided to ride out to the swamp, which must've been 20 miles away via logging paths, high-lines, and deer trails. Was a creepy place but uneventful.

That's about it.

LOL, but on the way back, I ran out of gas, and switched to reserve. Looking to the right (had made it back to a Parish road at that point), there was this old house about 100 yards away. We decided to take a break and investigate it; under the carport was a 1959 Ford Custom 2-door sedan, black, with LA plates that had 1977 registration on them (this was like 1984). It had a 223 six with column shift 3-speed manual tranny. Anyway, it was clear that the place was unoccupied. My cousin said a very old man lived there, but had not been seen in several years. We knocked, and opened the door after a few minutes of waiting. He called out "hello" several times, only to be greeted with a slight echo. You see, the house was fully furnished, but was somewhat musty from a few leaks that had developed in the roof. There was rotten food in the fridge, dishes in the cupboard, and clothes in the closet. A few dishes were in a disused sink. It just looked as if someone stopped living there, and time was taking the place and car back to the earth. Both of us got very cold chills, like we were being watched or something, and at almost the same time sprinted out the door, back to the road and ATV's. As we sat on them, we looked back at the house and just got this feeling it was "looking" back at us.

The next summer, we went back there. The house and car were gone. Just a grassy clearing was all that was left.

In the mid '80's a coworker and I were varmint hunting at China Hat and Newberry Crater in Central OR. We were taking a break, parked in some shade, when a small plane slowly flew over, did a slow circle then flew straight and low, right over us, parallel to the road! About 300 meters from us big, stuffed trash bags were dropped from the aircraft! IIRC, three bags! We skyed on out of there, reported it to the ranger at Paulina Lake, then went on with our hunt! We never heard back from the LEO's, but I'm guessing that the smugglers were out of there almost as fast as we were! I don't know how heavily armed they were, but we had enough weaponry to fight a small war! We also had young family's that needed us, so.......:)

New Resource Reviews

Back Top