What sort of critters do you deal with shooting outdoors in the desert?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Joe Link, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

I've fired a round in Arizona, Nevada, or Utah, let alone outdoors in the desert, so I'm curious what you guys run into and what you have to prepare for. Snakes? Spiders? Scorpions? How common is it to encounter these things when you're out there?

2. MadDuner

MadDuner
    Anywhere I Want

Actually, not very common at all.
    Only flying insects are a bother.
    Bees, wasps and flies.

PDub and Joe Link like this.
  3. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

That's good to hear! Definitely opposite of what I assumed :)

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  4. AZOutdoorGear

AZOutdoorGear
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Silver Vendor

None. When the shooting starts, they just go back in their holes and hide....

Joe Link likes this.
  5. Ambiguous

Ambiguous
    Gilbert AZ

This time of year ... Spring ... on a 8 mile hike around Usery Pass park SE of Phoenix i can count on seeing an average of 2 rattlesnakes. There are many you pass by but don't see.

DunRanull, SIGAHOLIC and Joe Link like this.
  6. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

The girlfriend read that and nope'd about five times :s0114:

jsparky747 likes this.
  7. Belevolk

Belevolk
    Southern Arizona

I spend an hour or so shooting .22 and .45 and when we were picking up to leave the area. Up shows a rattler. Now this idiot was coming directly at us. I shot twice with the .22 to shoo it off, nothing doing. The dogs were about so my buddy walks over with is new colt .45 and dispatched it.
    I get them in the back yard. Usually hanging out under the tree in the corner and being cool. One last year made it the 40 feet to my patio and decided to be obnoxious. I dispatched him with a shovel. There is no accounting for snakes in the desert. Be careful of what you step over and what you sit on. Snakes are just part of the issue. There are ants, bees, wasps, spiders and the occasional lizard that need to be considered. Mexican Beaded and the Gila Monster are both protected and poisonous. I have not seen either in the wild for several years. Does not mean they are not out there.

8. AZOutdoorGear

AZOutdoorGear
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Silver Vendor

Joe Link and SIGAHOLIC like this.
  9. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Do most folks down there know how to handle these things? I had no idea you had poisonous lizards down there :confused:

10. AZOutdoorGear

AZOutdoorGear
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Silver Vendor

I've been in AZ for 5 years and all over the desert and backroads. I have only encountered two gila monster (got to admit though they were pretty cool to watch) and 3 snakes. I know that they are there because you can see where they have crossed the road or trail I am on..... but I am always vigilant where I walk and step. Maybe we could teach the snakes to read the "Beware of humans" signs....

Joe Link likes this.