JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What standard do you hold for stranger to strange sales or trade. Assuming you are not a FLL with a retail sales license.

Proof of ?
- Residence
- Carry permit
- Professional License, ie Doctor, Lawyer, Pilot etc

Just because AZ no longer requires a carry permit, my standard is higher, my expectations of responsible ownership are higher
Given the current climate, what is you responsibility? What gives you piece of mind?

Since I don't want to be "that guy", I have walked away from deals that didn't pass my "smell test"
How about you?

Mine would be "how I feel" about the potential buyer. I'm never one to substitute mercurial emotion over intelligent thought when taking a decision, but sometimes you have to go that route when you do not have immediate access to the FBI database to run your own background check. My protocol is to never sell a gun; you never know when the Criminal Left might decide that the American People have warmed-up to being totally disarmed and are willing to let tyranny replace Liberty...

I won't sell another gun, I always regret it. The last one I sold is now unavailable. I sold it to an FFL, which would be the way I'd advise someone to make a transfer. Meet at a dealers place of business and make the transaction. Until the gov't gives access to the NICS system that would be the best way to avoid becoming 'that guy''.

Mine would be "how I feel" about the potential buyer. I'm never one to substitute mercurial emotion over intelligent thought when taking a decision, but sometimes you have to go that route when you do not have immediate access to the FBI database to run your own background check. My protocol is to never sell a gun; you never know when the Criminal Left might decide that the American People have warmed-up to being totally disarmed and are willing to let tyranny replace Liberty...

You points are well taken, but trading guns gives one the opportunity to try out different guns with out paying rent to a range, etc. That said my standard for how and who has gotten stricter over the years to the point of getting a little gun shy, LOL!
It should be noted that felons can't have thing like professional licienses or voter registration cards, which adds to my comfort level

As for the criminal left, I expect a natural death of old age before I let that happen

On my local forum, I place heavy reliance on the members feedback and overall reputation. I'm the one who is usually buying, so if the seller asks for my CCW license, I have no reservations in showing it.

I can determine a lot about the buyer / trader through written conversations. If their command of the WRITTEN English language is poor, we never usually get as far as setting a time or place for a meeting.

What I've found interesting in the many transactions that I've done is how many of the folks I meet with are either uniformed or plain clothes LEO's. I can tell the plain clothes LEO's by their vehicle tags.

I would guess that 25% to 50% of the folks I've met with are LEO's or active military.

As for the criminal left . . .
The Criminal Left is the Tyranny-crat Party-- Chucky Bullschumer, Pelosi, Feinswine, Eric Swinewell and all the others who believe the Constitution would make better tailwipe than it does a sacred document for limiting the power of the federal government over the American People. I used to call them the Evil Left in these pages, but Criminal Left just sounds better to me. The Criminal Left Media is the alleged "mainstream media." We all know who are that bunch of liars and deceivers. The Criminal Left is not your garden-variety hood, although I'd not doubt many of them might surely vote that way...

On my local forum, I place heavy reliance on the members feedback and overall reputation. I'm the one who is usually buying, so if the seller asks for my CCW license, I have no reservations in showing it.

I can determine a lot about the buyer / trader through written conversations. If their command of the WRITTEN English language is poor, we never usually get as far as setting a time or place for a meeting.

What I've found interesting in the many transactions that I've done is how many of the folks I meet with are either uniformed or plain clothes LEO's. I can tell the plain clothes LEO's by their vehicle tags.

I would guess that 25% to 50% of the folks I've met with are LEO's or active military.
If you are running into that many LEOs it is apparent that big brother is watching.

My standard for sales is simple- I don't sell very often at all... at my age Ive owned or own about all I intend to get.. and hang on to the ones I have chosen over the years... that could change as I age I suppose but for now.. it's "Guns? What guns? I ain't got no steenkin guns"...
FWIW if I was to sell or gift a firearm, I would either know the individual personally or get some state ID. Nowadays I understand that all sales have to go thru a licensed FFL dealer to run a background check per state law. But I havent sold or given any firearms to anyone for a very long time, nor am I likely to.
Some years back I offered a rifle to a Jewish (Reform, practicing) fellow I once knew "In case they come for you and your family" and he was annoyed at the offer and snorted an emphatic "No!". As a student of Nazism and the Holocaust I personally found this attitude hard to understand but let it go, as that was his right as an American.
Anyway I never sell or gift anything in my collection, including some black powder repros.

Last Edited:
I just finished my will. I own just enough equipment to make every paper and tv station in the west. During the conversations I had with attorneys I asked point blank is a firearms trust a good idea. Most contacted said yes. Which I disagree with VIOLENTLY. I found a practitioner that understood the detail listing of ones possessions could have very negative effect on the people receiving said possession. The people who will receive the possessions already have keys to my home and know where everything is.
I found the process unsettling but the days ahead are far less than the days behind at least for me. So as long as Arizona does not join the nuts o's of the planet. All is taken care of when I pass.

I just asked if the other person is a felon and take a picture of their driver's license. If they balk at either of these no sale.
I don't personally believe a background check is constitutional. I actually believe the second amendment as it was written and clarified by the writers in their own documents. That being said the person I'm selling to still has to pass the sniff test. If I don't like the way it smells I walk away.

You would have to be on drugs to think I would let you take a picture of my drivers license.

The law says " you can not knowingly sell to a prohibited possessor " .

When I sell guns , they give me the money and I give them the gun.
That is all you have to do.

If you have a bad felling about it , then don't do it.

I just asked if the other person is a felon and take a picture of their driver's license. If they balk at either of these no sale.
I don't personally believe a background check is constitutional. I actually believe the second amendment as it was written and clarified by the writers in their own documents. That being said the person I'm selling to still has to pass the sniff test. If I don't like the way it smells I walk away.
I actually started a very similar thread to educate folks so they would quit making up their own rules--taking a pic of a driver's license is def making up your own rules, bud

It never ceases to amaze me that people who have a govt issued id and forum presence online and a smartphone peacock up at showing said ID for crap. It's laughable that you think your privacy rights are being violated. The 2nd amendment applies to govt not to me.
Every bought from an FFL? You think the govt doesn't have your info? I wouldn't ask for ID from a forum member. It would be so easy for law enforcement to track that down if one of my former weapons showed up at a crime scene. Your bristling cracks me up! 🤣

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top