JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My next rifle build is going to be a mildcat affair in a chassis. The action at this early date looks to be a Zermatt Arms TL3 which is offered in a left-bolt, right-ejection configuration. The underside of the action can be cut for AICS magazines, and the mysterious "AW" magazine. I looked around a bit for what is an AW magazine, but no joy was experienced. Can any of you fine gentlemen inform my inquiring mind as to what is an AW magazine? Thank You for your help...

AW is a stagered mag that feeds from both sides. The AICS mag is staggered and feeds from the center. The AE mag is a single stack.

AW - Arctic Warfare
AICS - Accuracy International Chassis System
AE - Accuracy Enforcement

AW is a staggered mag that feeds from both sides. AW - Arctic Warfare
Thank You for the information. Is Arctic Warfare the brand name of the maker? What would be the alleged advantage to having such a magazine on an action like the BigHorn TL3?

Last Edited:
They are made by Accuracy International.
The advantage to them is that they give a higher capacity in a shorter magazine.
The disadvantage is that in some guns they do not feed properly.
In some receivers , if you put pressure on the magazine ( rest the gun on it ) they can hang up or not feed at all.
You need to make sure they will work properly in your gun before you have the receiver cut to accept them.
Also it can not be reversed. Once your receiver is cut to accept them you are stuck with them.

Also it can not be reversed. Once your receiver is cut to accept them, you are stuck with them.
Maybe I should surrender and have the receiver cut for AICS magazines. Or... just leave it uncircumcised and keep the action as a single-shot. The end product is going to be a target rifle that's used out in the desert at a leisurely pace chosen by me, not by the time-constraints of a 1000-yard tournament. I can always have it cut at a later date if I so decide...

My next rifle build is going to be a mildcat affair in a chassis. The action at this early date looks to be a Zermatt Arms TL3 which is offered in a left-bolt, right-ejection configuration. The underside of the action can be cut for AICS magazines, and the mysterious "AW" magazine. I looked around a bit for what is an AW magazine, but no joy was experienced. Can any of you fine gentlemen inform my inquiring mind as to what is an AW magazine? Thank You for your help...
They are AI Mags designed for "Artic Warfare" and have a longer overall internal seating length. Not always cross compatible with AI Mags in some guns, especially Rem 700 and clones.

The AW magazines are metal. I'd prefer they be MagPul-type polymer. Polymer is a tad more flexible than steel. If I had any sense, I'd contact Bighorn Arms and ask if the receiver can be cut to fit a MagPul mag that fits the MagPul Pro 700 chassis. Bighorn is a custom manufacturer. I'd assume they can cut any magazine opening a customer would want if the dimensions are to be made available to them...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Prescott Valley, AZ
Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top