JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a half-bottle of Accurate 4064 powder; hasn't been opened for several years. I was rummaging through all the shootin' crap I have, and found this bottle of powder to have solidified into a brick of sorts. The humidity is very low where I live, and the cap has been screwed-down tightly for these past several years. No other bottle of powder I have has solidified like has this bottle. Anybody ever seen anything like this in their experiences?

Humidity is a problem for powder as it absorbs the moisture from the air. I'm guessing it opened when you had higher levels of humidity. As you said it had been several years and once it begins to become a solid lump the composition changes, best to dispose of it safely.

It might have experienced high temp at least once. This is from the MDS for Accurate 4064..

Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities Store at 21°C (70°F), 50% relative humidity (decomposition becomes measurable above 50°C (122°F). Store in original container. Keep container tightly closed. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place away from all sources of ignition. Store away from incompatible materials (see Section 10 of this SDS). For additional information regarding handling and storage guidelines, see "Properties and Storage of Smokeless Powder" published by the SPORTING ARMS AND AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS

While 122 degrees seems impossible, it doesn't have to get that hot for decomposition to start.

This is from the NRA...

Most smokeless gunpowders are coated with graphite so they will flow through powder measures and funnels. Smokeless powders are also coated with various chemicals to make them more water resistant, to control burning and reduce muzzle flash. Because smokeless powders can deteriorate over time—due to the generation of nitric acid—small amounts of stabilizers are added to absorb acidic byproducts.

While no one can be absolutely sure what happened to your jug of Accurate 4064, it appears to have had a bad day whether at the factory or somewhere down the line. Please post what you decide to do with it. Several pyros on the forum will enjoy watching the fireball.

This reminds me a story often told at the campfire...This "person's" significant other wanted to help organize the reloading area so "he/she/they" combined all the partial jugs of powder into one big container so it takes up less space. Yikes!

Please post what you decide to do with it. Several pyros on the forum will enjoy watching the fireball.
If I wanted to burn it, I'd have to rig-up some sort of long arm to hold the match while keeping my person a safe distance from the fuel. I think it best to just fill the bottle with water and destroy the powder that way.

Filling it with water would destroy it. If you have some cannon fuse you could place 8-10" in the bottle and light it you want to see what would happen. You know so you could report back what happens when something like this happens. I suspect it will be a big roman candle. Jon

I gave the bottle a really good shake, and the powder escaped the "dried block" status. It's still no good because the smell of the stuff is nowhere near what fresh powder smells like. Soon as I generate the ambition, I'll throw the stuff down the toilet...

Is your waste water system connected to the fresh water system in any waym in your city

I have seen waste plants that expel water which is then cleaned and treated to be injected back into the aquifer.
Powder broken down might not be filtered out.

Did one of those in Pleasanton Ca. While finishing up the commissioning I asked the superintendent if the people knew that they were going to be drinking "bath room water"
A quote that stuck in my head from All in the Family.
He was laughing when I walked out to finish my work.

I gave the bottle a really good shake, and the powder escaped the "dried block" status. It's still no good because the smell of the stuff is nowhere near what fresh powder smells like. Soon as I generate the ambition, I'll throw the stuff down the toilet...
I would just fill the bottle with water and once it's not longer a solid dump it out onto some newspaper to dry and toss in the trash.

I would just fill the bottle with water and once it's not longer a solid dump it out onto some newspaper to dry and toss in the trash.
Then you would have a nitrocellulose base sheet of paper that may have the same ignition point as the powder.
Layout the sheet of paper on a NONE windy day on a solid surface. Tear one side a 2-inch strip, pour the powder on the rest of the paper (I pour it on the ground and put a short paper roll in it and light the paper, and walk away) Wrap the paper over it to make the thinnest pile you can, light the paper and step back. Only BLACK powder is explosive and will flash.
We even destroy HIGH explosives this way with a time delay (Fuze) even crystalized dynamite has never exploded.

This is the TNT I burned after a job (Can't transport it anymore without a DOT approval) by spreading straw with it on top and lighting it then walking away to watch it burn.

IMG_0256.JPG

I worked with a Class 10 FFL - manufacturers License holder last year as an RP and investor in his gun store . Unfortunately we closed but while doing ammo manufacturing and reloading we encountered some rifle powder that was sold as new, but had small clumps in it suggesting moisture had gotten into this product. The clumps were tiny so take that for what its worth vs. your solid lump. The gunsmith for whatever reason decided to use it anyway because of shortages and the extreme cost off gunbroker we paid . This Stuff was manufactured by F.S.A.A.P. and sells on Gunbroker FSP-747 for .223 , 556 and .308 as well as several others . Also note the above load was 70% of the recommended load density as we were uncertain as to this products true burn rate. Upon test firing out at a test range using my Scar 17 . ** SEE ATTACHED PIC ** It cleanly blew out the primer from the brass and I was fortunate no damage was done to ME or my firearm. Dispose of that ASAP . I prefer to burn it in piles so that it will not be an issue to anyone ever again o_O:s0007:🔥🧯

primer blow out.jpg

I worked with a Class 10 FFL - manufacturers License holder last year as an RP and investor in his gun store . Unfortunately we closed but while doing ammo manufacturing and reloading we encountered some rifle powder that was sold as new, but had small clumps in it suggesting moisture had gotten into this product. The clumps were tiny so take that for what its worth vs. your solid lump. The gunsmith for whatever reason decided to use it anyway because of shortages and the extreme cost off gunbroker we paid . This Stuff was manufactured by F.S.A.A.P. and sells on Gunbroker FSP-747 for .223 , 556 and .308 as well as several others . Also note the above load was 70% of the recommended load density as we were uncertain as to this products true burn rate. Upon test firing out at a test range using my Scar 17 . ** SEE ATTACHED PIC ** It cleanly blew out the primer from the brass and I was fortunate no damage was done to ME or my firearm. Dispose of that ASAP . I prefer to burn it in piles so that it will not be an issue to anyone ever again o_O:s0007:🔥🧯

View attachment 18188
Oh sure, use an expensive $3000 SCAR-17 rifle instead of a cheaper $500 PSA AR-15 to test some possible dodgy powder……

:s0112:

Oh sure, use an expensive $3000 SCAR-17 rifle instead of a cheaper $500 PSA AR-15 to test some possible dodgy powder……

:s0112:
Well, it's his gun. He can use it within the law however he pleases. He could even do a "Rittenhouse" and chuck it into a metal shredder-- although I never would. You did read that Kyle Rittenhouse opted to shred the AR he used to defend his life against the three walking piles of sewage solids. He said he didn't want the rifle to become a souvenir or trophy to someone who might come to own it in the future. I'm not sure I agree with Kyle: there's never a good reason to destroy a functioning firearm. Best to use it until it can no longer function safely and reliably...

I'm not sure I agree with Kyle: there's never a good reason to destroy a functioning firearm. Best to use it until it can no longer function safely and reliably...
When it does wear to becoming unreliable you get new parts, install them and use that gun for another fifty years...

Are you sure Brandon Jr. didn't just snort all of your powder??

:p
I'd never let that turd near my front door. A son is what his father teaches him to be. We know enough about BiteMe's son to know the father is also a worthless smear of intestinal product...

About 10 years ago an older friend of my group passed and left us with a god awful mess of stuff, including this 20mm cannon powder that wouldn't meter through a spoon. It was valuable, and could be used, but it was such a pain to try to do anything with one after another, we all just gave up trying to do anything with it, and we probably had 50lbs.

Last year, a bunch of us were out at the Bat Farm, one of us is a commercial blaster and had the remaining stuff in a few kegs. We were cleaning out the magazine and he was like "hey, does anyone want this stuff?" We all looked at one another and said "isn't that Al's old powder? Yea, no thanks". So instead we wrapped the container with det cord, and blew it up. Totally went high order too.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top