JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I uhh... I ummm.... crap... I took a nap today...
I keep my loading pretty much up to 100%, or really close to it... I think I might have 22 45 ACP cases from shooting yesterday, but they'll get done soon... just not today.
I have allot of complete 100 % prepped and primed brass for my rifles, but they aren't in my shooting rotation yet, and everything that is, is loaded.
I have a box or 2 of 30-30 that I am waiting to load. I ordered a bullet mold etc for it as ill be casting bullets for this rifle. Got an email today, hoping to see that mold some time next week.
Also, I cast for 45 ACP, and 44 magnum, but those are all loaded up.. well except for the 22 45 ACP I mentioned earlier.

Yesterday evening I was testing a new bullet and lube in 2 of my 45's. Both the RIA ones. That's why only 22.

100 rounds for my .45 Colt[Henry rifle], 250grLRNFP, 8.0gr Unique, Starline brass, OAL is 1.580"
100 rounds also of .357[my other Henry rifle], 158gr LRNFP coated Missouri bullets, 6.0gr Unique, mixed brass. OAL is 1.585"
50 rounds .357, same rifle, 158gr Hornady XTP-FP, 13.5gr 2400, mixed brass. OAL is 1.585"
Sure do like shooting those, especially that .45 Colt.

Have the cases ready for forty each .300 Nevada Desert Magnum rounds. Going to load them with 63.0 grains of a mixture of 1963-vintage H4831 and 2006-vintage H4831SC. I have no idea what is the ratio of 1963:2006 but because it's essentially the same powder, I'm not overly concerned about it. Have already fired a bunch of it on June 23 when my buds from Stockton came over Donner Pass, and we spent the afternoon sending lead downrange in Liberty and Justice for all. My friend from high school hit my ten-inch gong from 509 yards with his first-ever shot from my rifle with this mixture. That's a shot of around two MOA, but good enough for me with an untested powder and undeveloped loading. I just grabbed the 63.0 grains out of the air because I have some experience with what's too much and what's too little powder in the cartridge.

Also have about two dozen .358 Sierra Stomper brass ready for loading. I use medium-rate powders in the Stomper, such as RL-15, IMR-4320 and AccArms-4064 with 250-grain bullets. I estimate the Stomper is good for 250 to 300 yards. Beyond that, I suspect the bullet will have lost too much energy to lay too much of a hurt on a moose, elk, caribou or some sort of other large Alaskan game. I'll never go to Alaska to hunt-- or anywhere else-- because I do not hunt. I'm too out of shape to climb hills and I have no desire to kill, dress and carry-out the meat. I'll leave that to 61 year-olds who weigh two-thirds of what I do.

7F7225A0-9A2F-4453-8106-86B4AACB1EAE.jpeg

338 Lapua Magnum.

I have been slowly building up my reserves or loaded ammo to comfortable levels, SO far so good!
10 mm auto I now have 4K loaded labeled and vac sealed. It's all full nuke'um power and one of three bullets, 180 gr Remington Golden Sabers ( 2000 worth) 200 Gr Buffalo bore solids, and 220 Grain Hard cast solids from a Colt #9 Mold swagged to .40 cal and lubed and crimped! All using blue dot at max pressure!
.30/06 is up to 3000 rounds loaded, all hunting/general use from 150 gr to 220 grain! Second batch of Black Tip's pulled and loaded in both .308 and .300 win mag!
.308 is up to 6000 rounds, all 150 to 168 gr hunting also including the 3000 Black tips!
.300 Win Mag, S-L-O-W-L-Y building up my stash, so far I have about 1100 total loaded and 400 empty brass cleaned and prepped! Need to step it up soonest!
.338 Lapua Mag, just over 1200 rounds of 300 Gr Bronze Solids custom made by me in a top secret Alloy and profile, Lubbed, loaded and crimped! Several are also "Black TIpped" for those heavy days!
.375 Weatherby Mag, 440 rounds loaded with ether 265gr Oryx or 278 gr Norma P.H. or 300 Gr Swift A-Frame Heavies, and some custom Norma P.H. in 325 gr Soft points!
.405 Winchester, 260 rounds of 465 gr Hornady Hard Cast, or 500 gr Woodleigh Jacketed solids
.45/70 260 rounds of 365 gr Hornady great plains 430 gr Norma P.H. solids, and 500 gr Lyman semi hard cast! All lubbed and set in a hand press!
.45/90 120 rounds 500 gr Lyman extra hard cast solids Mini Ball profile
.500 Jeffery .240 rounds of 570 gr Barns TSX 100 rounds of 535 Barns BND, and 100 rounds of 725 gr Hornady A-Max for killin Peterbuilts!
Still looking for a 600+ gr bullet that isn't .50 BMG!

Not all in one day, more like the last two years! LOL

Have the cases ready for forty each .300 Nevada Desert Magnum rounds. Going to load them with 63.0 grains of a mixture of 1963-vintage H4831 and 2006-vintage H4831SC.

Also have about two dozen .358 Sierra Stomper brass ready for loading.
Still waitin' on that tsunami of ambition to sit down at my reloadin' table, get my schumer together and get it done...

Been going thru rifles one at a time wiping them down and swabbing out the barrels, then re applying light coat of oil, before I put them back away.
I do this once a year in the summer when I'm not shooting them, usually I find one that needs a little extra cleaning.

It's picked up some at work and I'll be working the next few weekends so I won't have much time. Monsoon is here and soon fire bans will be lifted. Once I do get started back shooting, the hand loading will recommence.

Still waitin' on that tsunami of ambition to sit down at my reloadin' table, get my schumer together and get it done...
Got every case annealed today at around 0300 PDT. Got 'em in my air dryer at 160 degrees; they dry really fast in that thing. Will prime them once they are certainly dry and get the show on the road. No need to worry about the brass getting too hot and becoming excessively annealed. Takes up near 750 degrees to anneal brass; 160 will have zero effect on it.

air fryer.JPG

1200 PDT: Finished-up loading the thirty-nine .300NDM mildcat cases that have been bugging me to get at them for the last several days. Load is 63.0 ±0.1 grains of the mixed H4831 propellant from 1963 with H4831SC from 2006, Remington 9½M primers and the Sierra MatchKing bullet of 190 grains in mass. I'm anticipating a muzzle velocity of around 2850 fps. I loaded these a little under what I usually do because you get a little better accuracy when you don't push the load to its limit. We'll see how these do when I shoot them in September, when my buds from Stockton come over the mountain for a day of fun & excitement in Nevada's boundless deserts. I'll set-up the chronograph to capture the velocities; I just like to know how fast the bullet is moving in relation to how much powder was consumed.

Didn't stuff any cartridges toady but am working up my loading chart for a 22-NXS and my new 243 LBC. I'll start loading them tomorrow. I've been fighting getting some range time and have some 17-223 and 20 Practical I need to wring out. With luck early next week will see me making noise and smoke.

Greg

Got every case annealed today at around 0300 PDT. Got 'em in my air dryer at 160 degrees; they dry really fast in that thing. Will prime them once they are certainly dry and get the show on the road. No need to worry about the brass getting too hot and becoming excessively annealed. Takes up near 750 degrees to anneal brass; 160 will have zero effect on it.

View attachment 5059
Dude, you can't fool us, THAT'S a Mac-n-Cheese maker! What time should we stop by, I'm hungry enough to eat a full growed bear?? :p:D

I don't normally load 9mm. It's cheap enough that I usually buy what I shoot. But My kids and I have not been able to find any at all. So I dug out a set of C-H steel dies, and started turning out 9mm. The first 50 I turned out had a bulge where the bullet was resizing the cases. But they all passed the plunk test, and all shot just fine. So the next batch I'll be lifting the sizing die up till I get a nice taper instead of the bulge. Once I'm happy with the look I'll do a production run. DR

Yes, like dangerranger I recently dug out a set of 9x19mm reloading dies I had not touched since the early 1990s. For the last week I have been working on a large pile (300?) of 9mm brass, de-priming, re-sizing, etc. while also researching powders and loads for 125 grain RN lead bullets.

Been going thru rifles one at a time wiping them down and swabbing out the barrels, then re applying light coat of oil, before I put them back away.
I do this once a year in the summer when I'm not shooting them, usually I find one that needs a little extra cleaning.

It's picked up some at work and I'll be working the next few weekends so I won't have much time. Monsoon is here and soon fire bans will be lifted. Once I do get started back shooting, the hand loading will recommence.

I like your optimism!
I fear it will never rain again...

I went by Lester's yesterday and picked up another 1000 9 MM bullets to add to my stash. I shoot indoors about once a month with a friend and we go through 150-200 at a session. I 'll try and do these in the next week or two. We shot last week and my net gain on cases was 275 so that was nice. Made up for some I lost at a different range two months ago. This morning I picked up 8 pounds of CFE 223 for a friend and a couple more Wilson knock out rods for my Lapua cases.

I'm in the process of depriming
the remainder of my 243 LBC cases as I did the 22-NXS yesterday then it is to the stainless media for a heavy shine. I got in my Unique magazine from France for my 32 S&W match pistol so I will be in the 32 loading game soon. I'll have to locate a good source of wadcutter bullets for that one.

Greg

Last Edited:
Well this should be a busy thread...
There is a lot to do in the south west besides reloading. Plenty of things to keep us busy.
Today I fought through all the distractions and reloaded some 38 special wadcutters for my SW 52.

Everytime I thought the coast was clear, my phone would start blowing up usually right before I was pouring powder. I had to double check cases for powder all morning as I was getting distracted and needed to make sure I didn't double charge a case. Eventually I turned off the phone and started to get a rhythm.

I'm still learning my AZ setup which is largely pistol calibers and basically more manual. Instead of using an auto throw setup and trickling up, I'm going more old school and manually throwing a charge, then trickling up by hand. Trying to get by with what I have versus buying all new.

The SW52 is a dream to shoot provided you have a load the fits in it's narrow window. Medium velocity 38 special with flush wadcutters and a slight roll crimp. I finally got around to loading 2 recipes for testing. 148gr double ended wadcutters to start as they tolerate hotter loads than hollow base ones.

Load 1 is 3 grains of Titegroup and
Load 2 is 4.5 grains of Ramshot Silhouette

I'll chronograph them and look for any feeding or ejection issues at the range tomorrow.

PXL_20221208_213436787.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top