JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was starting out it was mostly pop cans but I've recently stepped up my target game a bit with steel gongs and wood/pvc/cardboard stands. What do you guys like best?

I like a gong out at far distances so I don't have to walk out there and repair them.

For handgun distances, I prefer my cardboard on stands. If I'm on my game - I don't have to do much more than replace the little 4"x4" pieces of paper.

Just for fun I will fill plastic quart or liter bottles with water and set them out at uneven spacing and distance to watch them explode while seeing how quickly I can dispatch them.

To decide who buys lunch, we have a 100 yard handgun milk jug challenge.
We'll fill a 1 gallon milk jug with water and set it out at 100 yds. The least experienced shooter goes first with his pistol of choice. He gets 3 shots at it. If he hits it, we buy his lunch. If he doesn't hit it - the next guy gets his turn. We keep that up until somebody hits it. It's awefully darn funny to hear the other guys yelling stuff while the guy is shooting to try and distract him. LUNCH IS AT STAKE!!!! It's a hoot.

I have won the challenge enough times now that I only get a single shot at it for my turn.....and they decide which handgun I get to shoot at it with. It's all in fun, but they've pretty much disallowed my 5.25" Springfield. The Canik has won it a few times too. Lately, I've had to shoot at it with my Sig P290RS. There is NO CHANCE of my hitting it with that thing! I'm lobbying for 3 tries with it for my turn. So far, I haven't even come close.

I like a gong out at far distances so I don't have to walk out there and repair them.

For handgun distances, I prefer my cardboard on stands. If I'm on my game - I don't have to do much more than replace the little 4"x4" pieces of paper.

Just for fun I will fill plastic quart or liter bottles with water and set them out at uneven spacing and distance to watch them explode while seeing how quickly I can dispatch them.

To decide who buys lunch, we have a 100 yard handgun milk jug challenge.
We'll fill a 1 gallon milk jug with water and set it out at 100 yds. The least experienced shooter goes first with his pistol of choice. He gets 3 shots at it. If he hits it, we buy his lunch. If he doesn't hit it - the next guy gets his turn. We keep that up until somebody hits it. It's awefully darn funny to hear the other guys yelling stuff while the guy is shooting to try and distract him. LUNCH IS AT STAKE!!!! It's a hoot.

I have won the challenge enough times now that I only get a single shot at it for my turn.....and they decide which handgun I get to shoot at it with. It's all in fun, but they've pretty much disallowed my 5.25" Springfield. The Canik has won it a few times too. Lately, I've had to shoot at it with my Sig P290RS. There is NO CHANCE of my hitting it with that thing! I'm lobbying for 3 tries with it for my turn. So far, I haven't even come close.

Shooting games are my favorite and that game sounds like a lot of fun! Believe it or not we have a hard time finding places to shoot at 100 yards around here. What would you consider a 'far distance'?

Shooting games are my favorite and that game sounds like a lot of fun! Believe it or not we have a hard time finding places to shoot at 100 yards around here. What would you consider a 'far distance'?

Since walking out to fix or place new targets means that everybody has to stop.... Anything past 100 yds seems far because of the time it takes to go out and back.

I generally don't shoot much past 300 yds, but it's mainly for that reason.

While we keep shooting handguns at longer distances, one of our favorite jokes is about how we would try to convince a judge and jury that a guy holding a knife at 100 yds "looked like a threat!"

I've only shot tannerite once, but it was awesome! I love the delayed shockwave.

I use pop cans for BB guns and am getting a small 5" AR500 gong for rimfire and my airgun. I also like shooting clays for small arms because it adds an extra challenge and it is hit and see feedback. But let's be honest, everyone's favorite is tannerite.

I shoot a lot of steel, however I've been doing a lot of work with plastics lately working on automatic target systems. For indoor ranges and "tactical shooting" matches, a target system that keeps track of the hits without needing to be patched/taped so people know what the score is, is a much better way of running faster matches. I know this is the Southwest Firearms, but for the crossover NW people, if you ever go out to FNRL, a lot of shooting time is taken up by patching targets.

Personally, I really wanna start doing a lot more 2, 3, 4 gun challenge work, but it takes a lot of optimization to be able to get a lot of people through the shooting course, without needing a lot of people to run the match/stage, moving over to electronic scoring is a great way to solve it.

Or... maybe whatever it is they use on TV for the big >explosions< when a vehicle hits a guard-rail after taking a couple hits from the Good Guy's 9mm pistol... I want one a them pistols! :eek: Just JOKIN, Mr BATFE Guy!:D

Or... maybe whatever it is they use on TV for the big >explosions< when a vehicle hits a guard-rail after taking a couple hits from the Good Guy's 9mm pistol... I want one a them pistols! :eek: Just JOKIN, Mr BATFE Guy!:D

I want one of those Hollywood "self-aiming" pistols that always hit their mark no matter what position they are fired from. 6 guys with rifles at 100 yds vs 1 guy with a pistol? No problem. Ammo to spare.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top