JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As much as I try to consolidate calibers, I find it much more difficult when it comes to rifle calibers.

I'll be adding either a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore once I get my Ruger Precision Rifle. Leaning toward the 6.5 because I'd like to get into distance shooting, but the 308 is such a solid universal round that I'm on the fence. Maybe I need both? :s0114:

I'd have to say my favorites are probably the .243 for how flat it shoots or the .30-06 for it's hard hitting and the history behind it.

Curious to hear which rifle calibers are your favorite and why :)

Good question. For now, my rifle calibers are:

.223/5.56
7.62x39
7.62x54

Does .22lr count too??

How about .50 cal round ball for the Hawken?

From what I've heard from many folks, .308 is a great all around caliber - hunting, long range, paper punching. Works in bolts and semi-autos like the AR-10 and M1A. And, it's available in 7.62x51 NATO in bulk to help save some $$ when you just want some 'plinking' ammo. Plus, lots of established loading data for .308 if you want to reload.

From what I've heard from many folks, .308 is a great all around caliber - hunting, long range, paper punching. Works in bolts and semi-autos like the AR-10 and M1A. And, it's available in 7.62x51 NATO in bulk to help save some $$ when you just want some 'plinking' ammo. Plus, lots of established loading data for .308 if you want to reload.

That's the dilemma right there! :)

In no particular order:
7.62X63,
7.62X51,
7.62X39,
5.56X45,
7.92X57.
All are well-proven cartridges in their class which have been around for decades, often available in "bulk" or case-lots in mil-surp, and a variety of rifles are available for each of them. All make useful hunting calibers out of the case or handloaded.
A couple more wherein one or another of the above criteria may not necessarily apply are:
.303 British,
7.62X54 Russian,
6.5X55 Swedish.
I use each of these calibers with the exception of the .30-06, for which I no longer have a rifle chambered altho in the past I have had several and still sit on a small supply of hunting ammo.
Thinking about it, all my hunting rifles are chambered in a current or former military round.

As much as I try to consolidate calibers, I find it much more difficult when it comes to rifle calibers.

I'll be adding either a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore once I get my Ruger Precision Rifle. Leaning toward the 6.5 because I'd like to get into distance shooting, but the 308 is such a solid universal round that I'm on the fence. Maybe I need both? :s0114:

I'd have to say my favorites are probably the .243 for how flat it shoots or the .30-06 for it's hard hitting and the history behind it.

Curious to hear which rifle calibers are your favorite and why :)
man thats a tough one. i really like:

5.56 for little recoil and theyre cheap to load/buy. i love the AR platform. i kinda want a bolt gun because why not.

300blk for how quiet it is suppressed :D

308win because mine, for a hunting rifle is a tack driver. it doesnt have that much recoil, i can reload it to perform to 30-06 velocities(but usually stick around 2750fps for hunting) the guns are generally lighter so that when hunting, it doesnt start digging into your shoulder.

30-06 because i inherited a 1903-a3 and it makes me think of my grandpa.

300win mag for the power behind it.

im generally a .30 cal guy.

love the 30-30 too.

I have a number of calibers on hand, but for the past couple of years my favorite plinking rifle has been my 5.45x39 Olympic Arms AR. I shoot most all of them fairly often, but the 5.45x39 usually goes with no matter what.

I have a number of calibers on hand, but for the past couple of years my favorite plinking rifle has been my 5.45x39 Olympic Arms AR. I shoot most all of them fairly often, but the 5.45x39 usually goes with no matter what.

How's 5.45x39 ammo cost/availability been? I remember when the milsurp stuff was everywhere for cheap.

The 5.45 ammo cost and availability remains on par with the 7.62x39 steel cased ammo. I watch for guys dumping ammo and buy up a bunch when it's cheap.

Ah that's not bad at all then. Is the 5.45 you shoot steel cased as well?

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top