JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As much as I try to consolidate calibers, I find it much more difficult when it comes to rifle calibers.

I'll be adding either a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore once I get my Ruger Precision Rifle. Leaning toward the 6.5 because I'd like to get into distance shooting, but the 308 is such a solid universal round that I'm on the fence. Maybe I need both? :s0114:

I'd have to say my favorites are probably the .243 for how flat it shoots or the .30-06 for it's hard hitting and the history behind it.

Curious to hear which rifle calibers are your favorite and why :)

Good question. For now, my rifle calibers are:

.223/5.56
7.62x39
7.62x54

Does .22lr count too??

How about .50 cal round ball for the Hawken?

From what I've heard from many folks, .308 is a great all around caliber - hunting, long range, paper punching. Works in bolts and semi-autos like the AR-10 and M1A. And, it's available in 7.62x51 NATO in bulk to help save some $$ when you just want some 'plinking' ammo. Plus, lots of established loading data for .308 if you want to reload.

From what I've heard from many folks, .308 is a great all around caliber - hunting, long range, paper punching. Works in bolts and semi-autos like the AR-10 and M1A. And, it's available in 7.62x51 NATO in bulk to help save some $$ when you just want some 'plinking' ammo. Plus, lots of established loading data for .308 if you want to reload.

That's the dilemma right there! :)

In no particular order:
7.62X63,
7.62X51,
7.62X39,
5.56X45,
7.92X57.
All are well-proven cartridges in their class which have been around for decades, often available in "bulk" or case-lots in mil-surp, and a variety of rifles are available for each of them. All make useful hunting calibers out of the case or handloaded.
A couple more wherein one or another of the above criteria may not necessarily apply are:
.303 British,
7.62X54 Russian,
6.5X55 Swedish.
I use each of these calibers with the exception of the .30-06, for which I no longer have a rifle chambered altho in the past I have had several and still sit on a small supply of hunting ammo.
Thinking about it, all my hunting rifles are chambered in a current or former military round.

As much as I try to consolidate calibers, I find it much more difficult when it comes to rifle calibers.

I'll be adding either a .308 or 6.5 Creedmore once I get my Ruger Precision Rifle. Leaning toward the 6.5 because I'd like to get into distance shooting, but the 308 is such a solid universal round that I'm on the fence. Maybe I need both? :s0114:

I'd have to say my favorites are probably the .243 for how flat it shoots or the .30-06 for it's hard hitting and the history behind it.

Curious to hear which rifle calibers are your favorite and why :)
man thats a tough one. i really like:

5.56 for little recoil and theyre cheap to load/buy. i love the AR platform. i kinda want a bolt gun because why not.

300blk for how quiet it is suppressed :D

308win because mine, for a hunting rifle is a tack driver. it doesnt have that much recoil, i can reload it to perform to 30-06 velocities(but usually stick around 2750fps for hunting) the guns are generally lighter so that when hunting, it doesnt start digging into your shoulder.

30-06 because i inherited a 1903-a3 and it makes me think of my grandpa.

300win mag for the power behind it.

im generally a .30 cal guy.

love the 30-30 too.

I have a number of calibers on hand, but for the past couple of years my favorite plinking rifle has been my 5.45x39 Olympic Arms AR. I shoot most all of them fairly often, but the 5.45x39 usually goes with no matter what.

I have a number of calibers on hand, but for the past couple of years my favorite plinking rifle has been my 5.45x39 Olympic Arms AR. I shoot most all of them fairly often, but the 5.45x39 usually goes with no matter what.

How's 5.45x39 ammo cost/availability been? I remember when the milsurp stuff was everywhere for cheap.

The 5.45 ammo cost and availability remains on par with the 7.62x39 steel cased ammo. I watch for guys dumping ammo and buy up a bunch when it's cheap.

Ah that's not bad at all then. Is the 5.45 you shoot steel cased as well?

New Resource Reviews

Back Top