JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a gaggle of 22 caliper rifles. Who doesn't?

Within the last year I've become attached to the 17HMR. My first was just a Ruger American. A very nice rifle for the money. My second was a Browning T-Bolt. I returned the Ruger to stock and used the rimfire scope on the Browning. Actually the Ruger is fun to shoot with open sights. I can't bring myself to mount a bipod on the Browning so I'll shoot it off a bag.

I was actually surprised at the chart posted below.

203F5F58-454D-4D7E-88E3-A4AE62D02BC9.jpeg

14D09398-24A5-49B9-AF40-69D5E5C997A7.jpeg

D24B4EF9-E25D-49A1-8D14-63ECAF96A8CE.jpeg

98B2460E-CE65-439F-91B8-440694610D5C.jpeg

D96350E0-C56E-4EEC-B8C2-ED1C7E2E9371.jpeg

That chart is cool. But I gotta say I'm not going to be shooting any of them at 200 yards. Shoot I'm not sure I would be shooting it at 100. If I have to go to that distance then I am going to bring a bigger hitter.

I still own a .22 Just never use it. Basically sits there for a SHTF scenario and future grandchildren.

I shoot .22's more than any other gun.
I have lots of .22's both rifle and pistol.
Bolt action , lever action , pump action , semi auto , single shot.
Some are over 100 years old and some are modern.
All are fun to shoot and are used all the time.
Every time I go shooting I have at least one 22 with me.

I will say this. I was really interested in 22 at one time. Now that I reload I can shoot .223 almost as cheap and can crank them out pretty fast on my progressive so I usually go with that.

That chart is cool. But I gotta say I'm not going to be shooting any of them at 200 yards. Shoot I'm not sure I would be shooting it at 100. If I have to go to that distance then I am going to bring a bigger hitter.

I still own a .22 Just never use it. Basically sits there for a SHTF scenario and future grandchildren.
I understand but surprised how much better than a 22 mag. 100 yards is about right for me, maybe a little further. Wind is the enemy.

On a day without too much wind I'll reach out to 200 yds with my 17HMR. Still enough energy to do a number on ground squirrels! I still shoot my .22's a lot where I need to be more quiet, But the 17's have taken over as my squirrel guns!

My wife wanted to shoot NRL22 matches so I stated with a Colt(Walther) M-4 in .22LR, did OK for Base class. Then I dug out my old (1980s) 10-22 with a Volkerson barrel, trigger pack, and Hogue stock I built for squirrel hunting. Changed the scope, worked out the right ammo, (SK Standard +) and started holding my own at Gunsite matches in the open class. Just got one of the Tippman Arms Appleseed Pro's in but haven't broken it in yet. Will have to see which one does best.

10 22 Volkerson.jpg

My wife wanted to shoot NRL22 matches so I stated with a Colt(Walther) M-4 in .22LR, did OK for Base class. Then I dug out my old (1980s) 10-22 with a Volkerson barrel, trigger pack, and Hogue stock I built for squirrel hunting. Changed the scope, worked out the right ammo, (SK Standard +) and started holding my own at Gunsite matches in the open class. Just got one of the Tippman Arms Appleseed Pro's in but haven't broken it in yet. Will have to see which one does best.

View attachment 3314

That's a sweet setup! I bet you're happy you held onto it :)

Have a Ruger with one of those carbon fiber barrels. Upscale trigger group. Ambidextrous, cut-out stock. Some kind of scope that escapes me now. Nikon, I think. Very accurate, even for a .22LR...

Wow, now that's a scope!!
That's the way they were back in those days. I have an uncle who shoots a .22-250 with a Unertl scope very similar in appearance to the one shown. I last saw the rifle in 1968. I'm going to guess the scope is of "vintage" manufacture. Modern technology has shrunk them to where we now have 3-9X scopes of lesser size than a soda can...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top