JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My dedicated 22 conversion I just rebuilt recently. Custom turned GM blank by Tactical Ordnance. I have swapped to a different lower from Tennessee Arms going to a gray vs. clear as the magazine well was a little tight on the new Black Dog magazines I just ordered in. This upper runs sweet on my M 16 lower too.

LoGjpqi.jpg

Greg

My dedicated 22 conversion I just rebuilt recently. Custom turned GM blank by Tactical Ordnance. I have swapped to a different lower from Tennessee Arms going to a gray vs. clear as the magazine well was a little tight on the new Black Dog magazines I just ordered in. This upper runs sweet on my M 16 lower too.

View attachment 9867

Greg

I like that clear lower :s0155:

They are kind of cool. They sent me the two to try out severel years ago. I need to put more rounds through both of them. From what I have shot they work fine.

Greg

I've retired my centerfire guns and have started shooting .22s exclusively. Glad that I bought a lot of ammo over the last few years.

Here are my Volquartsen Black Mamba and 22/45 with custom barrel.

Both are for shooting Steel Challenge. I mostly shoot with a C-More red dot on the guns but I'm playing with iron sights for a bit.

Mamba and Mark IV with Irons.jpg

I've retired my centerfire guns and have started shooting .22s exclusively. Glad that I bought a lot of ammo over the last few years.

Here are my Volquartsen Black Mamba and 22/45 with custom barrel.

Both are for shooting Steel Challenge. I mostly shoot with a C-More red dot on the guns but I'm playing with iron sights for a bit.

View attachment 9882

Nice! I've upgraded my 22/45 with a Volquartsen trigger and a few things from TandemKross. It makes the range bag every time and always puts a smile on the face of whoever shoots it :)

I don't shoot much .22RF because the accuracy is all over the ballpark, at least it was with the Walmart ammo I was using. I'd get six-inch groups from fifty yards. I decided it wasn't worth the cost of the ammo and the effort to clean the gun after the day's use in the desert. So now I have two .22RF rifles that are nudging $1700 - 2000 each and they just set, unused...

I don't shoot much .22RF because the accuracy is all over the ballpark, at least it was with the Walmart ammo I was using. I'd get six-inch groups from fifty yards. I decided it wasn't worth the cost of the ammo and the effort to clean the gun after the day's use in the desert. So now I have two .22RF rifles that are nudging $1700 - 2000 each and they just set, unused...
Try some of the new ammo, NRL22 has made the companies come up with much better ammo. One 1/2 inch hole at 50 meters is the standard and some are better. Here are a 100-meter and 50-meter target from the 1980s 10-22 shot last month with good ammo even the 100-meter group was under .5 inch. Yours should do better.

22 100 m target.jpg 50 m target (2).jpg

Those are some spendy dust collectors!

I'd definitely try different ammo as @Old18C suggested. I've qualified for my Appleseed Rifleman badge a couple times with a fairly basic 10/22, but quality ammo was key. I prefer this stuff, Aguila Super Extra (yes, partly because of the awesome name) :D

I agree about the 10/22. Great gun, how ever i managed to find a Remington (model 24) build SA22 which is a Browning Patent rifle.
The SA 22 is lighter especially on the trigger and more accurate than my 10/22. The youth group likes the volume of shots from the 10/22. I like the simplicity and the down ward ejecting of the Remington. The Brownings are just to expensive for me to though in the back of the truck, even in a case.

I agree about the 10/22. Great gun, how ever i managed to find a Remington (model 24) build SA22 which is a Browning Patent rifle.
The SA 22 is lighter especially on the trigger and more accurate than my 10/22. The youth group likes the volume of shots from the 10/22. I like the simplicity and the down ward ejecting of the Remington. The Brownings are just to expensive for me to though in the back of the truck, even in a case.

I don't think I've ever seen one, let alone shot one. I'll have to add it to my list :)

I'm shooting a $40 marlin 80 with a $60 scope that gets me sub 1" groups at 50 yards. The only thing that's been done to the Marlin is a trigger job and spring replacement. The ammo is Federal AM. [ one step above basic bulk ammo.] for .12 ea [ pre covid price] Eley team ammo I can shrink that down to 3/4 an inch at 50 yards. But for anything short of a match I'm shooting the Bulk price Federal AM.
at 6" spread I can see why it does not seem interesting to shoot. But if you spend a little time looking at other ammo you may find a low cost ammo that will make you smile!
In normal times I have a couple suppliers that send me 10 round sample packs that are listed by manufacture and lot number. When I get a new gun I'll test every bullet out there and buy cases of the best lot numbers.
I would suggest you at least try a couple different bullets , You won't do much worse than a 6" group.
One other hint, If you are shooting beyond 50 yards shoot ammo that is sub sonic. From my gun CCI stingers are very accurate out to 60 yards! But somewhere just past 70 yards they slow down past the speed of sound and that sonic crack upsets the flight! at 80 yards they start to open into a shotgun pattern. By starting sub sonic they remain stable and fly straight to the target!
If you already have the guns for it, try it again with different ammo, It might surprise you! There is a reason they shoot 22 rimfire in the Olympics! Good Luck, DR

Been shooting and tuning my Hi-Standard Super match pistol a lot lately, dosnt like Fed Auto match, and dosnt like the CCI Standard Velocity's ether, much prefers Ten-X and Elly Match, but strangely, likes Winchester X and Remington Yellow jackets! Seems to do pretty well with the Stinger's too, that's not something I would have expected!

I have a stock 10/22 (I have a BX trigger for it somewhere) with an old 3-9 scope on it, it shoots pretty danger accurate. I also have an ATI AR-22 with a dedicated .22LR upper on it that also runs decently.
I wish I bought several of the BX triggers when they were sold for around $30. Now the ones I've seen are pushing $90.

I wish I bought several of the BX triggers when they were sold for around $30. Now the ones I've seen are pushing $90.
Wow, that's crazy! I paid $30 for mine, and in my opinion that's about what it's worth. There are much better triggers for the 10/22. My favorite is probably the Brimstone Gunsmithing Tier 1, but last I heard they aren't doing 10/22 triggers anymore.

Wow, that's crazy! I paid $30 for mine, and in my opinion that's about what it's worth. There are much better triggers for the 10/22. My favorite is probably the Brimstone Gunsmithing Tier 1, but last I heard they aren't doing 10/22 triggers anymore.
Considering that the trigger that comes in a stock 10-22 lets you hang the weight of the gun on the trigger and it doesn't release made a BX trigger a big improvement. I agree that there are much better triggers to be had.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top