Welcome to SouthwestFirearms.com!

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Hello everyone, and welcome to SouthwestFirearms.com! Many of you know me from the other firearm site I created a few years ago for the residents of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, NorthwestFirearms.com. I set out with the goal of creating a community for firearm owners where they could discuss various topics, organize events, buy/sell/trade firearms, and band together to fight anti-gun legislation. Since the beginning of that site a few years ago it has grown to be the largest 2nd amendment site in the Northwest. We now have almost 19,000 members, and the site has become a cornerstone of the Northwest firearm community. My goal is to do the same for the residents of the Southwestern United States.

As I'm sure most of you know, there are many other excellent other forum-based websites for SW firearm owners to choose from. I myself hold most of these sites in high regard, and it is not my intention to 'compete' with them. I do believe people are best off when they have as many choices as possible, and this is all I hope to offer. Better or worse, that is a matter of opinion. Those who know me know I favor honest, upfront communication and fairness above all else, and I expect the same of my staff. I have no doubt that one of the reasons my other sites have been so successful is because I hold myself and my staff to very high standards, apply the rules evenly across the board, and I prefer open communication with our members.

At some point I'm sure you'll ask why a guy from Oregon would create a site for a region other than his own. The answer is that I've simply fallen in love with the Southern states over my many visits to the region. My girlfriend lived in Las Vegas for a few years and has been trying to convince me to move there and see for myself. I've been to Arizona quite a few times, and each visit has been better than the last. Though Oregon will always be home, my plan is to spend a couple years living elsewhere, which I've never done. My guess is I'll be bouncing between the NW and SW quite often in the next ten years.

As you can see, this site is in its very early stages of development. As with all successful sites which grow into thriving communities, the creator (me) needs to convince members (you) that the site concept is worthy of their time and the effort it takes to spread the word. I hope you'll take the time to get to know me, get to know the goals of this site, offer your feedback, and help this community grow into something of which we can all be proud.

Thank You,
    Joe Link

2. pinkhamr

pinkhamr
    Altus, OK

Great, Avatar is working ....... Thanx Joe!

3. 1911fan

1911fan New Member

Joe--

Before moving to Vegas, I'd go on over to Nevada Shooters and hang out for a while. The site is about 85% SoNV folks who aren't afraid to give their opinions about the cops, the gun restrictions (have you heard of the dreaded "blue card"?), living conditions and everything in between.

That being said, it looks like you've got yourself a pretty nice little forum here. Good luck and I hope any one geographical area doesn't end up monoplizing things.

ed

4. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Funny you should mention that, I actually registered there just yesterday. I'll definitely have to quiz them on their opinions of the place. It'll be good to get opinions from like-minded individuals.

5. Squidgie

Squidgie
    Utah

Why aren't Colorado and New Mexico considered part of the South West for this site? They are easily (and frequently) considered part of the South West.

If the idea is to keep the membership more localized and specific to the region, I still don't think it's set up right. If the idea is to keep "similar" states within the region grouped together, then California needs to be kicked out, while CO and NM are added. It's unfortunate, but CA's gun laws put it in a world of its own, when it comes to firearms. Often, they're better off keeping to themselves (for accuracy of information, alone), rather than being included with UT, NV, AZ, NM, CO, and WY.

Which brings us to Wyoming...
    I know Wyoming is not part of the South West, but the citizens of WY, and states surrounding it, consider them to be our brothers. Between the terrain, weather, laws, and general experience, WY belongs to the South West; even if it's geographic location says otherwise. ;)

And if you don't like the idea of orphaning CA, just officially add NM, CO, and WY. It will be beneficial to the site's future. I don't like leaving CA behind, any more than the next guy, but their laws make them more unique than any other state in the South West.

I know I'm voicing a lot of concerns and/or complaints, but I'm trying to help. :D

6. CFletch

CFletch
    California

I agree that CO and NM would fit the definition of Southwest. Texas might be as well, by many historical definitions. I'm not so sure about WY, they seem pretty solidly NW but if they want to join in I see no pressing reason why not.

CA is definitely part of the SW, even if we are different when it comes to laws. Hopefully, any CA residents on this site are smart enough to know that they have special rules they have to comply with (as if that's not constantly made clear to us). Unfortunately, many of the CA-specific sites (CALguns in particular), while being good for information, can be a bit of a drag for socializing and just chewing the cyber-fat with fellow gun enthusiasts.

7. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, this really helps. One of the most difficult things I had to do when I created this site was figure out which states we would focus on. While both NorthwestFirearms.com and this site allow anyone to join, we definitely have specific states we focus on. I agree with what both of you said. On the topic of California, I originally wasn't going to include it at all, and the primary focus was going to be Arizona, Nevada, and Utah. I've since decided that excluding regions really doesn't serve any good purpose for us, and many Californians are looking for a different/better site than the ones out there now.

There really aren't any state-specific areas of the site yet, aside from the review section and the prefixes which will be added to the classified section. I think we'll be crossing this bridge again in the future, but at our current size I don't think we should be turning anyone away.

8. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

I am not into it my self, but the Cowboy shooting sport is pretty popular around here. Maybe a section for that would attract those so inclined

9. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Great suggestions! I'll mention that when creating the category descriptions under competitive shooting.

10. Tokarev Czar

Tokarev Czar New Member

I am the Tokarev Czar. There is a company that will be producing a 12 round magazine that fits existing romanian and Russian Toks! Who likes this??

11. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! And that is awesome news, great guns those are. You should post an introduction thread ;)

12. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

Joe do we not have emoji's? dang really could have used a frown face right there LOL

13. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

We do, should work the same as on NWFA. Is it not working?

SKrueger likes this.
  14. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

nope

15. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

I'll message you.