JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I am far from a pro. I just want to get started. I have always liked shooting (more than most people). Some people know when they talk to me I like to talk about firearms. Recently I have decided to go a step further and am going to make weekly trips to the range. Most of the time I will be working on fundamentals and testing builds. Other than that where are the best places to start for a newbie? Websites, training, information? Whatever you care to talk about let me know Thanks.

Awesome I will be there once school is out. Then figure it into my schedule once it starts again. Have to juggle wife, kids, work, and guns. Haha! Thanks for the reply.

Rio & Tues. Night Steel is a very good starting place... If. your closer to the South Mountain range? they also have some simuliar programs..... ALL stress "safety", It's a 9mm game for most participants. Lot's of high cap pistol's from Glocks, S&W's, etc. (1911 fan's too). You will see just about every style from semi autos to revolvers. Most ranges will require you to graduate from a safety course... Which is good for all of us!. Good advice to come and watch (safety glasses and ear protection). The next higher level is USPSA competiton, running and gunning, who knows?, maybe that too????...

I'm another that will talk guns till my wife is blue in the face!
What is your favorite gun sport? Do you like pistols, rifles, shotguns, cannons, etc???
Do you like speed games? Or more into the slow and deliberate sports? How about long range, or even military matches?
Think about it awhile... Do you like tactical games that involve strategy, Speed games where the only consideration is how fast I can knock down targets, or games where wind and weather play a big part? Also where you live may play a part in what you can shoot weekly!

Also think about your budget. Sometimes finding a match that you can shoot with a gun you already own is the way to go.

Good Luck DR

Yes, 22's are used in some match's... Rio steel plate (4th. Sunday)... Each stage has 5 strings of no more than 10 rds. per string x 5 strings (it's nice to have at least 5 mags for your pistol, goes a lot faster). 40 grain CCI mini mags or CCI Blaizers work very well Then there is USPSA Steel Callange match's ( Same format worldwide). This is a pure speed shoot, There is also a 22 carbine match @ Rio 2 x a month after Tues. night steel...(Mostly S&W AR style 22's with the 50 rd. Black Dog drum and a few Ruger's with the 110 rd. drum).. I'm sure you could shoot some kind of competition every night of the week idf you wish.. C2 tactical also hoats the indoor GSSF Glock matchs....and on and on....

I bounce between Portland and Tucson and just started shooting 600 yds recreational class with a .243 Win. It's what I had so "I brung it" Fortunately there are a lot of 6mm goodies out there. A couple of weeks ago the Portland club (Tricounty Gun club in Sherwood actually) competed with the Tucson gun club (Ajo range I believe). I was hesitant about trying this because I wasn't so much into competition as I was looking to get past 300 yds. What I found was a great group with very good shooters mixed in with people who like shooting their guns, so I fit right in.

I haven't shot at Ajo yet so I can't speak from experience, but it is encouraging to know there's a range in Tucson setup for 600 yds. It isn't all cake and ice cream though, reading the wind is a real skill that needs to be mastered. That is part of the challenge along with your equipment and skill. This is a great chance to work on your shooting skills is where most of us start anyway.

Watch out for the slippery slope of gear, bullets, brass, and of course custom rifles. It's hard to hang around with experienced long range shooters and not convince yourself you "need" it too.

Hey if someone knows about how to get started at the Tucson range, please chime in.

Update: Uggh I just saw the date and realized I warmed up an old post. Mea Culpa.

I think what maybe got missed...

What KIND of competition shooting? I've shot NRA Small Bore, High-Power, Service Rifle, Palma, 3-gun, 2-gun, biathlon, tactical rifle, tactical pistol, tactical shotgun, skeet, trap, IPSC, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.

I currently shoot rifle golf, and run a long-range tactical match.

Fabulous backstop in the first video; second video, too...

Per knocking the cone off the target, why not set the cone several feet to the right or left of the target? Advise players as to where the cone is relative to the target, and you'd not suffer the cone falling off and making target acquisition difficult. Pink is a color that does not occur too frequently in nature. Spraypaint the targets pink; they should be easy to see and no cones to fall off...

Last Edited:
Fabulous backstop in the first video; second video, too...

Per knocking the cone off the target, why not set the cone several feet to the right or left of the target? Advise players as to where the cone is relative to the target, and you'd not suffer the cone falling off and making target acquisition difficult. Pink is a color that does not occur too frequently in nature. Spraypaint the targets pink; they should be easy to see and no cones to fall off...

So this was the first outing I ever did with rifle golf, I expected to be putting targets much further out, however a lot of my shooters couldn't even pick the target out much past about 150m (getting out of that flat-range mentality and into the deep end) I used the cones to note where the targets are. Since then I've started painting the "head" portion pink, or orange (whichever I have more paint in) sometimes I'll also use flags. I've since had to re-work the frames. As they were not perfect. Here's a primer on building them:

The Tucson range is called the Three Points range they are online and have a website with all the events etc.They also have a 1,000 yard range which has to be reserved.

So this was the first outing I ever did with rifle golf, I expected to be putting targets much further out, however a lot of my shooters couldn't even pick the target out much past about 150m (getting out of that flat-range mentality and into the deep end) I used the cones to note where the targets are. Since then I've started painting the "head" portion pink, or orange (whichever I have more paint in) sometimes I'll also use flags. I've since had to re-work the frames. As they were not perfect. Here's a primer on building them:

Charlie before you let your buddies shoot your steel make sure their gus have been sighted in on paper.Its very time consuming when they shoot your stands to get them fixed.Just from experience.

Charlie before you let your buddies shoot your steel make sure their gus have been sighted in on paper.Its very time consuming when they shoot your stands to get them fixed.Just from experience.

We are usually sighted in well in advance. We also don't use stands we actually use a lag into a stump and hang the steel from it so there is not stand to shoot up. Its kinda nice having clear cuts to shoot too. It does take a lot of research to make sure you have a good back stop and to make sure we aren't shooting over any roads or anything. Those things get easier the deeper we go into the hills.

Another great place to shoot competition is Ben Avery Shooting Facility. There are matches in just about every dicipline
My favorite are the Steel Challenge Matches hosted by 2 different clubs on the Second and Third Sunday of each month at the Practical Pistol Range. There are also USPSA matches the First Sunday and a Paper/Steel match every Thursday Night.

Bring your gun, ear and eye protection and a positive attitude and you will have lots of fun. Bring about 5 magazines for any gun you shoot in Steel Challenge.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top