JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which alloy for AR-15 upper??

• 6061-T6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7075-T6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
I am starting to gather parts to build an AR-15. I already have an 80% lower on the way, along with a buffer tube, butt stock, and grip. I am looking at a Veriforce Tactical upper/handguard set. The reason is because they are white, which will match the other parts I have ordered. The AR is basically a Star Wars theme, which will be white with black accents (forward assist, charge handle, safety, trigger, etc.).

They have the upper/handguard set in white, but the upper is 6061-T6 aluminum. Now, their website says it is machined from billet, but I don't know any more than that. In my reading, most places say to get a 7075-T6 upper. So my question is, will the 6061-T6 upper be okay?? I can just order the handguard, then purchase a different upper and have it cerakoted. If anyone has used a 6061-T6 upper, let me know what you experience has been (the 80% lower is a Cerro Forge 7075-T6 part). Thanks in advance.

My guess is that you would be just fine. I know that when I built my last one on a 80 the upper said a specific lower should be used as well. When I called the manufacturer to inquire about that I got lucky. The person I talked to actually told me that was because they were trying to sell there lowers with it.

Marketing gimmick. In my experience ( there are others way more qualified than I ) most uppers fit 80% lowers.

My guess is that you would be just fine. I know that when I built my last one on a 80 the upper said a specific lower should be used as well. When I called the manufacturer to inquire about that I got lucky. The person I talked to actually told me that was because they were trying to sell there lowers with it.

Marketing gimmick. In my experience ( there are others way more qualified than I ) most uppers fit 80% lowers.

Thanks for chiming in. I actually did some more reading and the owner of Sun Devil Manufacturing here in Mesa says that he actually prefers to build AR-15 rifles with the 6061-T6 uppers. They are easier to machine and they tend to be safer if you have a chamber explosion. The 7075-T6 will have more of a tendency to fracture and create shrapnel, whereas the 6061-T6 will usually just crack and expand some.

Thanks for chiming in. I actually did some more reading and the owner of Sun Devil Manufacturing here in Mesa says that he actually prefers to build AR-15 rifles with the 6061-T6 uppers. They are easier to machine and they tend to be safer if you have a chamber explosion. The 7075-T6 will have more of a tendency to fracture and create shrapnel, whereas the 6061-T6 will usually just crack and expand some.

You know I have read that some where. Well at least you got your answer. Good luck with your build and post up some pics when you get it done.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top