JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This issue is one thing I find hard to believe, in Israel just like anywhere else if the citizens don't have access to guns it only means that only criminals and cops do & there are never enough cops to protect the citizenry

You'd think in a country that is literally under constant attack by terrorists that everyone should have a weapon to defend themselves. I've always had a lot of respect for the Israeli government but this restriction on ownership has me scratching my head.

I've always had a lot of respect for the Israeli government, but this restriction on ownership has me scratching my head.
I suspect arms in the hands of the common Israeli citizen is problematical because the opportunity for someone of nefarious intent to steal a legally-kept firearm is so very present.

Israel is a small country, and is surrounded by enemies. Given the viciousness of those enemies, it's not a hard thing to imagine that they might mount missions to invade the homes of Israelis and steal their guns. It doesn't matter how a terrorist gets his weapon, just that he get one. In a small country where there is a mountain of fiery political opinions, seems the only way to keep some semblance of peace is to keep the populace disarmed and the military in place as a police force.

I suspect arms in the hands of the common Israeli citizen is problematical because the opportunity for someone of nefarious intent to steal a legally-kept firearm is so very present.

Israel is a small country, and is surrounded by enemies. Given the viciousness of those enemies, it's not a hard thing to imagine that they might mount missions to invade the homes of Israelis and steal their guns. It doesn't matter how a terrorist gets his weapon, just that he get one. In a small country where there is a mountain of fiery political opinions, seems the only way to keep some semblance of peace is to keep the populace disarmed and the military in place as a police force.
While I agree with you in theory, I am uneasy about leaving the populace unarmed. It just seems like an invitation for the terrorists to come in and murder as many as possible as they have sworn to do.

Myself as well.
As I understand, civilian firearm ownership is controlled stringently, limited to one firearm and one- 50 rd box of ammunition is all you get. Ever.
They are quickly learning that they are shacking the greatest protective force their country has...it's own people.
One of the MANY reasons that we must NOT EVER ALLOW that here...

Interestingly enough for folks who are worried about theft there are precautions that can be taken to stop it--Like locking up unused weapons in a safe

Myself as well.
As I understand, civilian firearm ownership is controlled stringently, limited to one firearm and one- 50 rd box of ammunition is all you get. Ever.
They are quickly learning that they are shacking the greatest protective force their country has...it's own people.
One of the MANY reasons that we must NOT EVER ALLOW that here...

'Instead of a license limited to "one gun and fifty additional bullets," an active sportsman/woman may qualify for a license for possession of a firearm that is recognized by the licensing authority as a firearm approved for sporting purposes, and for ammunition as determined by a shooting association.; Similarly, a license may be issued to a licensed hunter for a firearm recognized by the licensing authority as one used for hunting purposes, along with 700 bullets, or to an authorized person for possession and use of a firearm that was similarly approved for "treatment of agricultural harm" and 700 bullets."

Bascially, those citizens must be > 21 if served in military; > 27 if no military service; resident for over three years; work in security environment or live in a dangerous geographical area of heightened national security. Be trained on issued firearm and undergo extensive mental health evaluation as well as acquaintance's blessing. Oh and be fluent in Hebrew.

Firearms-Control Legislation and Policy: Israel | Law Library of Congress

'Instead of a license limited to "one gun and fifty additional bullets," an active sportsman/woman may qualify for a license for possession of a firearm that is recognized by the licensing authority as a firearm approved for sporting purposes, and for ammunition as determined by a shooting association.; Similarly, a license may be issued to a licensed hunter for a firearm recognized by the licensing authority as one used for hunting purposes, along with 700 bullets, or to an authorized person for possession and use of a firearm that was similarly approved for "treatment of agricultural harm" and 700 bullets."

Bascially, those citizens must be > 21 if served in military; > 27 if no military service; resident for over three years; work in security environment or live in a dangerous geographical area of heightened national security. Be trained on issued firearm and undergo extensive mental health evaluation as well as acquaintance's blessing. Oh and be fluent in Hebrew.

Firearms-Control Legislation and Policy: Israel | Law Library of Congress

Hah--I knew there was a catch:eek::eek:

How about carrying them? Every able bodied person in Israel should be able to carry a long gun and sidearm.
If more, then store. Visual deterrence is key.

I don't understand where this liberal position has come from? There is certainly a way to determine the ability to allow ordinary civilians to carry concealed weapons. Israel is in a situation as bad as Chicago, surrounded by enemies who'd just as soon see it disappear. They have superior weapons for their military, and should have a solid percentage of their citizenry be armed.

Are their former military allowed to carry? If so, that might be a mitigating factor.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top