JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Shooters,

My buddy, who's a general contractor, found this under the floor of a Victorian he was remodeling. There was corrosion, and it was froze up, but seems to function OK now, after soaking in some Kroil for a week. Iver Johnson 5 shot top break .38 in nickel (?). It's a pretty cool find even if it isn't worth much. PAX

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

One of our extended family used to bid on demolishing old houses. Before starting, he would thoroughly check all of the walls, basements and the attics, then he would check the fireplace for loose bricks. After he finished the demolition, he would dig up and screen the loose soil under the porch. Sounds like a lot of work, but he had quite an extensive collection of old guns, watches and coins.

Hi Shooters,

My buddy, who's a general contractor, found this under the floor of a Victorian he was remodeling. There was corrosion, and it was froze up, but seems to function OK now, after soaking in some Kroil for a week...

View attachment 14876

Why do people have to store handguns in leather holsters? Just bought one recently that was next-to-new (original owner probably put less than 50 rounds through it), BUT it had been stored for over 40 years in a leather holster. Sad!

I know serial numbers were not mandatory until the 1960s? I may be wrong there. I have an old h&r in some weird caliber I think its in 38 s&w short or something. Anyways its a model 1902 or 1904. Its been broken for years and Its a wall hanger now. It does not have serial numbers to my knowledge

20210414_125622.jpg 20210414_125612.jpg 20210414_125551.jpg 20210414_125544.jpg

My owlheads are in that other state. I have a Winchester shotgun made in 1907 that has a serial number. Also noticed my lemon squeezer S&W (late 1800) has a serial number, too.
Maybe H&R didn't serialize until the 1960s, but Colt, S&W & Winchester were numbering their guns long before it was mandatory.

576351CB-DA12-42FD-B3FD-A73823207FAA.jpeg D69A8982-129E-4502-BD96-0B2515999474.jpeg

Last Edited:
Why do people have to store handguns in leather holsters? Just bought one recently that was next-to-new (original owner probably put less than 50 rounds through it), BUT it had been stored for over 40 years in a leather holster. Sad!
The shoulder holster is felt lined, It and the cartridge holder are for display (not storage) when it's out. PAX

I once worked with an Iron Worker who used to take his vacations digging around old farm houses in the mid west. o_O

He said he would try to time his digs to the first snow and look for places that snow didn't stick. (spots warmer than the surrounding areas) He told me often these were the locations of old outhouses and he would dig in the spots looking for old bottles, coins and whatever else may have been tossed, or inadvertently dropped into the hole. :s0093:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top