JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For years i've used my R870 for a little of everything, including my trap/skeet a couple times a year. I always wanted to purchase an O/U and couldn't justify it. I shot with some buddies last week and i've got the itch again. I'm hoping we will be going enough that I can justify it to myself to purchase one. My question though is how do I know where to start? What do you guys look for in a trap gun? Where is the biggest price break for quality etc. I've shot a handful of them but never had one I loved/hated (other than the one with a comb set up for a lefty, ouch). Any and all info is appreciated. Don't know what my budget is but let's call it under $1500...and I love buying used. :)

I'm watching this thread. Aside from a buddy with a clay flinger, I've never really shot trap or skeet. It sure looks fun!

If you have never had the chance to shoot some skeet, trap or sporting clays you are missing out! Over the years I have the opportunity to do all three. It's a completely different game, you can be a A+++ shooter with rifle and pistol and be completely humbled shooting at moving clay targets. It's very addictive! I used to shoot clays with my Remington 1100 with a 26" barrel and improved cylinder fixed choke. At local gun show I made the mistake of stopping at a table with high end shotguns. I shouldered a Franchi superimposed(over under) and took it home about $1,000.00 lighter. It was by no means the top line of shotguns he had to sell but it just felt right. Anything above that price point was mostly for engraving and fancy wood. As for what to look for in a trap or skeet gun is who makes it(check reviews) barrel length, shorter is better for skeet(26 to 28") longer for trap and make sure that it's has screw in chokes. Remember buy once cry once.

If you have never had the chance to shoot some skeet, trap or sporting clays you are missing out! Over the years I have the opportunity to do all three. It's a completely different game, you can be a A+++ shooter with rifle and pistol and be completely humbled shooting at moving clay targets. It's very addictive! I used to shoot clays with my Remington 1100 with a 26" barrel and improved cylinder fixed choke. At local gun show I made the mistake of stopping at a table with high end shotguns. I shouldered a Franchi superimposed(over under) and took it home about $1,000.00 lighter. It was by no means the top line of shotguns he had to sell but it just felt right. Anything above that price point was mostly for engraving and fancy wood. As for what to look for in a trap or skeet gun is who makes it(check reviews) barrel length, shorter is better for skeet(26 to 28") longer for trap and make sure that it's has screw in chokes. Remember buy once cry once.

I've never shot either, and this post makes me nervous! Yet another firearm-related sub-genre to sink money into :s0114:

For years i've used my R870 for a little of everything, including my trap/skeet a couple times a year. I always wanted to purchase an O/U and couldn't justify it. I shot with some buddies last week and i've got the itch again. I'm hoping we will be going enough that I can justify it to myself to purchase one. My question though is how do I know where to start? What do you guys look for in a trap gun? Where is the biggest price break for quality etc. I've shot a handful of them but never had one I loved/hated (other than the one with a comb set up for a lefty, ouch). Any and all info is appreciated. Don't know what my budget is but let's call it under $1500...and I love buying used. :)

I will be shooting my first trap probably this weekend. It's not the gun that got me started.It was a real good deal on a skeet shooter for 20 bucks I have 4 12 gauges, 2 pumps a double barrel and a and a pistol grip Mossberg 500 with an 18 inch barrel. I think I'll try the Mossberg first just cause I can. I don't like killing what I don't eat so does anyone have a good way to cook up these disk??

I will be shooting my first trap probably this weekend. It's not the gun that got me started.It was a real good deal on a skeet shooter for 20 bucks I have 4 12 gauges, 2 pumps a double barrel and a and a pistol grip Mossberg 500 with an 18 inch barrel. I think I'll try the Mossberg first just cause I can. I don't like killing what I don't eat so does anyone have a good way to cook up these disk??

Sorry, no recipes :s0112:

Be sure to let us know how you do!

New Resource Reviews

Back Top