JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the girlfriend and I are 90% sure we're going to move to either Phoenix or Las Vegas when our lease is up next February. I've never lived anywhere but Portland, so it'll be my first time relocating. She's lived in Vegas before, and she's desperately trying to convince me to move there rather than Phoenix. I've visited Phoenix and I really like the city (Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area), plus I'd feel better about moving someplace I know a few people.

What do you guys think?

Vegas is one of the most disgusting, crime-ridden, dirty, expensive, and over-hyped places to live, on the planet.
In addition...
They have no water, but pretend they do ...and make the situation even worse.

Phoenix is in my top 15 places I don't want to live, but Las Vegas is at #2. (Atlanta, GA is #1)

I have spent a lot of time in both cities, over the last 20 years. I would live in Detroit or Cleveland, long before I seriously considered Vegas.
If you like Phoenix, that's definitely my vote. I wouldn't live there, but it's my recommendation out of the two.

Why are you considering the move?
Change of scenery?
Job? (What kind of work do you do?)
The girlfriend?
Why are those two cities most appealing? Why not Flagstaff (AZ), St. George / Cedar City (UT), Reno, Albuquerque, etc?

Yeah.. when I lived there in '96, and visited a few times in the early '00s, it was crazy how much Phoenix has sprawled. Like Pink said, sorta mini-LA. You got a really dense urban area, and then it just spreads out from there. Not too sure where the good places to live in Phoenix are anymore. Probably have to live out in Apache Junction or Chandler nowadays...

So I vote Las Vegas. Probably not any better, but the housing situation there gotta be pretty straightforward (they burst bad and pricing has come down signficantly)..

Good to hear from people about this, keep the comments coming guys.

Why are you considering the move?
Change of scenery?
Job? (What kind of work do you do?)
The girlfriend?
Why are those two cities most appealing? Why not Flagstaff (AZ), St. George / Cedar City (UT), Reno, Albuquerque, etc?

Part of it is because of this site, part of it is because of the weather, and part of it is because I've never lived anywhere outside of Portland. I work in IT and I'm currently a Service Advisor for BMW/MINI, but I plan on focusing on my websites when I get down there rather than looking for work. Jen and I both like big cities at this point in our lives, before we settle down with some land.

Yeah.. when I lived there in '96, and visited a few times in the early '00s, it was crazy how much Phoenix has sprawled. Like Pink said, sorta mini-LA. You got a really dense urban area, and then it just spreads out from there. Not too sure where the good places to live in Phoenix are anymore. Probably have to live out in Apache Junction or Chandler nowadays...

So I vote Las Vegas. Probably not any better, but the housing situation there gotta be pretty straightforward (they burst bad and pricing has come down signficantly)..

Yeah, Phoenix is huge. All our friends down there live on the East side in the Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area, which is where we'd be living.

I've spent a lot of time in both cities, family in phoenix, business in LV, I don't know that I would call phoenix a mini-LA, it's more like an Oakland, crime is really out of hand there. LV, yea it does have crime, but it's of a strangely different character there, and doesn't have quite the same third-world standard of living you will come to expect living in places near phoenix.

Neither of these cities would top out my list of places to go, Flagstaff is a great city, kingman is another I would recommend at least looking at. Cedar City, UT is a beautiful place that I would highly recommend at least looking at. However, I think moving from portland to cedar city might be a bit of culture shock, as Cedar City is a rather conservative mormon town. Flagstaff might be a better place to check out.

I've spent a lot of time in both cities, family in phoenix, business in LV, I don't know that I would call phoenix a mini-LA, it's more like an Oakland, crime is really out of hand there. LV, yea it does have crime, but it's of a strangely different character there, and doesn't have quite the same third-world standard of living you will come to expect living in places near phoenix.

Neither of these cities would top out my list of places to go, Flagstaff is a great city, kingman is another I would recommend at least looking at. Cedar City, UT is a beautiful place that I would highly recommend at least looking at. However, I think moving from portland to cedar city might be a bit of culture shock, as Cedar City is a rather conservative mormon town. Flagstaff might be a better place to check out.

I've been living in Arizona for the past 21 years. The first 6 of those were in Lake Havasu City. The remaining 15 were in Glendale, on the west side of the city. Work here is good. A lot better than some places that have been devastated by the bad economy. The Summer months are hot, but from November until May the weather is all but perfect with little to no rain. The gun laws couldn't be better, with both concealed and open carry allowed without a permit. There are also no "waiting periods". Overall I wouldn't live anywhere else. We were considering moving back to Lake Havasu when I retire in a couple of years. But I think we'll stay right here. Everything is convient, and there are plenty of places to shoot, both indoors and out.

So the girlfriend and I are 90% sure we're going to move to either Phoenix or Las Vegas when our lease is up next February. I've never lived anywhere but Portland, so it'll be my first time relocating. She's lived in Vegas before, and she's desperately trying to convince me to move there rather than Phoenix. I've visited Phoenix and I really like the city (Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area), plus I'd feel better about moving someplace I know a few people.

What do you guys think?

Watched a guy actually fry an egg on the sidewalk in phoenix once.
Don't wear gum rubber soles.:D:D

Hah geez. Well, needless to say this isn't happening. I'd still like to live in Phoenix at some point in my life, just won't be soon.

Hah geez. Well, needless to say this isn't happening. I'd still like to live in Phoenix at some point in my life, just won't be soon.

Its a nice place to visit, but I dont do heat. Comfort zone is 40 to 80 , but they can have that 115 to 120 degree stuff. I'll cook over a fire or stove vs the sidewalk. :D:D

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top