JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a chance to visit the South East Regional Park shooting range and wanted to test my Ruger PCC takedown with and without suppressor. The pistol caliber carbine is not for everyone however I was very attracted to the PCCs that take Glock magazines. 50 yards is a very long shot with a hand held pistol but pretty easy with the PCC. Extended capacity magazines will certainly fit in a Glock pistol but the PCC is where they fit right in so to speak.

I tested Tula steel cased ammo at 25yards unsuppressed and went through several magazines, both factory Glock and ECI.
The group on the center target shows a nice group for casual aiming. I observed some of the KCI magazines were very tight in the Ruger PCC mag well and functioned fairly well with a few failures to feed/chamber. The Factory Glock mags functioned much better. I'm not a fan of steel cases, so I'll retest the magazines with brass.

The top left target was fired with the suppressor and a warm barrel. The point of aim is lower and the group has started to open up. The group on the top right was fired with the suppressor and a hot barrel showing the opening up a little more.

Conclusions?
1) The red dot was elevated enough to "see" over the suppressor even though it meant for a rifle (Hybrid 46)
2) After firing several magazines, steel cased ammo was less reliable in the PCC than brass.
3) Taking down the gun made it very easy to inspect the barrel after any failure to fire/ feed etc.
4) The ETS mag loader is very handy for loading a 33 round magazine.

Summary? Keep testing :) this is a fun rig.

25yard PCC target.jpg Ruger PCC Takedown.jpg Ruger PCC Front with suppressor and brass catcher.jpg Ruger PCC Left side with suppressor and brass catcher.jpg

What loads were you using? I ask because the web page only indicates 2 calibers. I have found that hotter, heavier rounds do better in the carbines I own. Maybe some day I will luck out and find someone at the range with chronometer.

I have the TNW Aero rifle. in 10mm. I have found that I can shoot hotter, heavier loads than I would ever shoot in a 10mm pistol. I like the take down feature and the back pack that it fits in. I also have the dreaded Hi Point .45 acp carbine, ugly and crude. I reload all of my .45 ammo and make the rounds that I use in the carbine a bit hotter than I use in my 1911. The hi point is always a range favorite and even the lady's like shooting it. Some day I will take it apart and "adjust" the trigger. 100 yards is a stretch for the .45 acp. They get there but a bit more rainbow arching

What loads were you using?
The Tula ammo was the 9mm 115gr FMJ and very very old. I was getting rid of it.
When I sighted in the red dot, I shot 124gr and 115gr brass ammo with it but not enough to make observations. I do have a Caldwell Chronograph and need to graph my velocities so I can build a ballistic table.
Maybe a range day in our future?

I have the TNW Aero rifle. in 10mm.
Oh I am envious. I grabbed the Ruger when it was on sale and Sportsman's finally updated my rewards account so it was very affordable. I really like 10mm and 45 cartridge though.

I also have the dreaded Hi Point .45 acp
I have looked at these and while I agree they aren't pretty, there's something magical about carbines.
How do you like the HK in 45?

Add a brass catcher if it's feasible, it will give you time back normally spent hunting for brass like a chicken.
Currently I'm not reloading 9mm as I can find it for $.28 or less per round for FMJ.
I plan to reload for +P velocities and JHP bullets at some point as well as heavy subsonic loads.
Good to know the carbines tolerate hot loads. (subject to caution and testing)

Ruger also makes the PCC in 40SW and takes Glock mags.
That model is being made with "Unobtanium" at the moment. Some day maybe.

Never had the pleasure of the HK.

I do not reload ball ammo. All of my rounds are jacketed HP. One round for defense and shooting. Keep it simple. I say that, but the 45-70 I reload are solid lead projectiles.
I have a recipe for the .45 that uses I believe 800x, same power I use for the 12 gauge and 185 grain JHP's. I have a friend that has done pistol shooting for 30 years, mostly the .45. He has convinced me accuracy is more important than speed in for the .45. My WW11 escapee Remington 1911, (fathers)
would not do well with hot rounds.
I have a 9mm Luger, just do not shoot it much any more. The PPKS and the .45's get all the play these days.

Lots of different thoughts on ammo. I have a round that works and I can put rounds on target consistently.

I agree with your philosophy on sticking with a round that works.
I'll spend the time needed with rifle reloading but prefer keeping things simple for pistols.

I have a SW52 that feeds 38 special wadcutters and by tuning the velocity, you can shrink or expand the groups.
It is finicky but a pleasure to shoot so it is worth it. I imagine 45s are similar to an extent.
My Kimber 1911 seems to like target ammo. I picked up a couple of cases of PMC when I bought the Kimber and haven't shot much else with it. I'm setup to reload 45 and have been hoarding brass for decades.
Now that I am running low on ammo and won't pay current prices, I'll be exploring the 45 reload recipes very soon.

All of the parts have gotten expensive. I share a Dillon 850 with my partner I found a deal years ago for 185 JHP, I think I bought 20k of them. Had the post worker so pissed off at me I had to go talk to the postmaster about the attitude. I was not my fault the vendor used USPS. My partner was not at all happy but after we reloaded a couple of hundred of them he was a fan. His Colt 1911 can take just about anything you can chamber in it. Not at all picky.

I like his .327 revolver (not a mistype) Fast and not much recoil. It is his protection piece. I have looked at the .327 carbines but do not especially want another lever gun. The 10 mm carbine fits the need. There comes a time when you own to many calibers, IMO.

Maybe someday I will luck-out and find someone at the range with chronometer.
Buy one; they're pretty cheap. I forget which make is mine, but it never failed to register once I devised a way to aim it at the target. The golfclub shaft is pointed right at the target; the binder clips are where I want the crosshairs in the scope to fall. The blue line is about where the bullet will go. Works like a charm...

aim-my-chrono.JPG

I picked up a Caldwell kit on sale and once I figured out what it liked and didn't like, it worked well.
BBs, Arrows, Pistol Rounds all worked perfectly but some of my rifle rounds gave it fits and one of the guys at the range said it could be powder kernels following the bullet but I can't be sure that's true. For rifles I switched to the Magnetospeed and haven't looked back. The classic chronograph is still essential for pistols.

The kit I bought is at Sportsmans Warehouse
Other sites show it as well.

They have replaced it with a newer one that looks upside down but may be improved. G2 with Bluetooth

Caldwell 721122-2.jpg Caldwel G2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top