JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out hunting in Cali 5 days ago and missed an opportunity on a non typical deer BUCK because the binoculars I was using were not clear enough to decipher horns from burned vegetation at 100 yards. I don't have a bank at my disposal but gotta have some thing better than the Burris 10 power I have now.

All my binoculars are Swarovski
There not cheap but when it comes to glass you get what you pay for.
I bought my first pair in 1990 and they are still as clear as they were when I purchased them.

A decent pair of Barska Bino's would fix your situation with out breaking the bank, or you could step up into a decent pair of Nikon Monarch's and still only be a few hundred bucks!

I have a pair of Steiner's and wouldn't even think of looking at another pair, but they were not cheap!
It all depends on your budget!

My dad still has them, but I'll get them one day. They are 12x50 Yashicas from about 1968-69. Not a scratch or ding on them. The leather case is still essentially pristine. I'll guess they are heavy by today's standards, but how long do you really have to hold them up to your face to see what you want to see? I'll deal with their weight-- because they're a gift from my dad...

You can watch Amazon from time to time, they have U.S. Mil surplus Miratuo Binos for sale, usually for around $40 or so, a stunning pair of binos for any money and they have a built in Mil-Rad reticle for quick ranging if you want! it's on the second focal plane too which makes it super slick and easy to use! Plan to have them cleaned and serviced if you get a pair!

100 yard may be more about your field of view and power than the glass you have. I have my fathers B&L something like 7x35 great for football or baseball. Not much else. I have a Swarovski 12x50 they glass out to 3-400 yards. I traded for mine otherwise they are out of my budget. Also have a Steiner 12 x 40 that is clear. Lots of good glass out there.

My dad still has them, but I'll get them one day. They are 12x50 Yashicas from about 1968-69. Not a scratch or ding on them. The leather case is still essentially pristine. I'll guess they are heavy by today's standards, but how long do you really have to hold them up to your face to see what you want to see? I'll deal with their weight-- because they're a gift from my dad...
You obviously are not a hunter. I spend hours looking through my binoculars when I hunt.

the very reason I have my dads binos. Remember games at Soldier and Wrigley Field with him.
There are tripod adapters for binos. I have a spotting scope so I have not gotten a tripod for the binos yet. May do that when I move out to my acreage where I have photoed mt lion, bobcat and other assorted predators.

Grand Dad swiped a pair of officers Zeiss binos off of a couple German Tankers who no longer had need of them during WW-II, and we always used them when out hunting! They are really compact, yet stunningly bright and clear! They are a 7X25 and mostly made of brass, yet they are surprisingly light! My Uncle got them after Gramps passed!
I have beem searching high and low for a matching pair, so far no luck, the ones I do find are fetching serious coin, so im not biting!

These are the 12x Steiners I bought for a deployment with 10th SF GP in 03 just before they told me to buy everything for the team. 3 different models of Steiners and Leica for our use with two laser range finders went with us. I have gone through many brands and have (as I have been told often) The glass is more important than the firearm. I really like the Steiners and have had to replace a couple of pairs due to theft and breakage (Bad treatment). I just bought a pair of SIG Sauer® ZULU7 10x42 Binoculars for a hunt when I couldn't bring the Steiners with me and they are great.

Work tools.jpg

My latest is a Vortex Diamondback 10 X 32, a rugged little thing. Light weight, very clear at low light levels, fast adjustments.
Since I wear glasses, I especially like the twist up rubber eye peace, or down for me, so I can extend them out when I remove my glasses for longer surveying sessions. It came with a very nice strap but not fast at removal or install. Most of the time it's in my pocket, the strap is in the way, so I added quick clips to the strap, and shoelace tabs to the binocular for fast removal and reinstall.
I'm too wobbly for anything over 10 power held by hand. It'll show an ear length spike next to a shadowed forest backing @ 100 yards up to about dusk.
Great value for the money, I believe.
IMGP0401.JPG

My latest is a Vortex Diamondback 10 X 32, a rugged little thing. Light weight, very clear at low light levels, fast adjustments.
Since I wear glasses, I especially like the twist up rubber eye peace, or down for me, so I can extend them out when I remove my glasses for longer surveying sessions. It came with a very nice strap but not fast at removal or install. Most of the time it's in my pocket, the strap is in the way, so I added quick clips to the strap, and shoelace tabs to the binocular for fast removal and reinstall.
I'm too wobbly for anything over 10 power held by hand. It'll show an ear length spike next to a shadowed forest backing @ 100 yards up to about dusk.
Great value for the money, I believe.
View attachment 5502

Plus a lifetime warranty ta boot !

I was out hunting in Cali 5 days ago and missed an opportunity on a non typical deer BUCK because the binoculars I was using were not clear enough to decipher horns from burned vegetation at 100 yards. I don't have a bank at my disposal but gotta have some thing better than the Burris 10 power I have now.
I have a Nikon Action EX waterproof 10 X 50 setup that has served me well for years now.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top