JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought a old style safety razor and 100 double edged blades today. I'm just tired of spending $14 every month for a razor or $23 for blades.

Those multiple blade razors are too light weight and don't shave as close as the old style razors.....

100 blades for $7...

Initial cost -

Parker 99r heavyweight razor - $68
Parker silver badger shave brush - $65
Shaving Soap - $3
Bay Rum aftershave - $0 made my own!! :)

I use an cheap electric, and some disposables when it gets too long for the electric. It does only a mediocre job, but it is required for my part-time job. I also seem to be fine using the same disposable for months, so it isn't expensive.

Disposables are too light and "bounce" when I shave. That causes numerous micro cuts and irritation. Loving the safety razor, but have to be careful at the start! :)

Loving mine. Just have had it a little over three weeks and can now shave without nicking myself. The plastic multi-blade disposables are set at a preset angle, a safety razor isn't. a good shaving brush is nice for a change from the 25 year old boar bristle brush I was using....

I had a beard for years but gave it up I've used all the various razors but since I shave once a week (when I shower) the cost of the disposables isn't too high

I had a beard when I was in my thirties. It attracted food particles and was generally more of a pain to keep looking presentable than shaving. So one morning I got out the barber shears and it was gone forever. Not to say I don't allow myself to get a two week scruffy going once in a while, but mostly I'm clean shaven daily!

Not exactly great if you don't get the blade locked down. I managed to remove some hide the other day. Took me a half hour to stop the bleeding!

I have a few safety razors and a box of blades from back in the day. For the past 30 years my choice has been an electric razor. Never a nick with an electric, and yes the first few shaves with a new blade have been known to leave a nick, or two. A cheap harbor Freight solar battery charger will keep the little electric razor battery charged and rechargeable batteries can be replaced if you stock them.

I have been using a straight razor for years now - no buying blades at all. Just a few hones a year and a few laps on the strop daily. I do use disposables on occasion when I don't have the time for enjoying a shave with the straight!
Lately I've been picking up old straight razors here and there to restore them - amazing how clean of a shave you can get once you learn how to use it without slicing yourself ;)

I have to get some nickel silver rod stock to put the latest one back together and I have to order in some greaseless compound to do the final buffing on the blade - still some minor pitting but way better than when I started with it - the current project is a 1920s western cutlery I picked up at a pawn shop for $8

So looking through the threads list, I saw this one, and kinda got to thinking, I also switched over to a safety razor about a year ago. I bought one of those ones from walmart, apparently it's the "van der hagen", It was like $15, and they also sold a big tube of "shave butter" for a few more bucks. I ended up buying 1000 replacement razor blades for about $12 on amazon. I shave 1-2 per week, and replace the blade about every 3-4 times. Which means this is roughly a 10 year supply of razor blades.

The shave isn't quite as close as some of the fancier razors, but it's more than adequate, it's quicker, I cut myself less, and it doesn't have problems with my shaving cadence which causes clogging of the multiple-razor blades.

I need to get better about shaving regularly. If that happens I'm going to look into a safety razor setup :D

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top