JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First off. Limited funds. Prefer to stay under a thousand, including Stamp. Lots of choices. Upon review Yankee Hill, but have order. Local shop has Silenco or Sig Sauer. Weight not as much a concern as price and performance. For .223.

There are a few companies out there that do budget cans this way. The thing you need to look out for is what does the mounting system cost. Generally a direct-thread is the cheapest, but you do need to periodically make sure the can stays tight to avoid baffle strikes. The two that come to mind are Radical Firearms, and Liberty Suppressors. I remember both were all the rage some years ago. I never got super excited about it, but there you go.

I don't have much experience with cheap suppressors, working for a Type 10, we would periodically just build test suppressors out in the machine shop when we had time, and either chop 'em up if they didn't work good, or put down the paperwork if they were good. The cheapest way to go is just a form-1 can. I dunno how handy you are, or if you have any machine shop experience. One way to cheap out without a lot of experience is to go with a "form-1 solvent trap" however, for 5.56 make sure you're getting something made of stainless steel. (preferably 303 so it's easier for you to drill).

Anyways, sorry i couldn't be of more help, but I didn't wanna leave you hanging. If you're willing to spend some coin, check out MaxFlo suppressors, You're in the ~$2k range. OSS are also well worth the money, but you're really skirting that $1000 budget number.

The one thing I'll say after shooting suppressed as much as I do, cans that don't give excessive backpressure are so much better than really quiet can. There's nothing quite like pulling the trigger and then having an injection of stinging gas come around your glasses and into your eyes. You don't really care how quiet it is at that point, because you're too busy trying to clear the tears out of your eyes.

Anyways, hope that helps.

There are a few companies out there that do budget cans this way. The thing you need to look out for is what does the mounting system cost. Generally a direct-thread is the cheapest, but you do need to periodically make sure the can stays tight to avoid baffle strikes. The two that come to mind are Radical Firearms, and Liberty Suppressors. I remember both were all the rage some years ago. I never got super excited about it, but there you go.

I don't have much experience with cheap suppressors, working for a Type 10, we would periodically just build test suppressors out in the machine shop when we had time, and either chop 'em up if they didn't work good, or put down the paperwork if they were good. The cheapest way to go is just a form-1 can. I dunno how handy you are, or if you have any machine shop experience. One way to cheap out without a lot of experience is to go with a "form-1 solvent trap" however, for 5.56 make sure you're getting something made of stainless steel. (preferably 303 so it's easier for you to drill).

Anyways, sorry i couldn't be of more help, but I didn't wanna leave you hanging. If you're willing to spend some coin, check out MaxFlo suppressors, You're in the ~$2k range. OSS are also well worth the money, but you're really skirting that $1000 budget number.

The one thing I'll say after shooting suppressed as much as I do, cans that don't give excessive backpressure are so much better than really quiet can. There's nothing quite like pulling the trigger and then having an injection of stinging gas come around your glasses and into your eyes. You don't really care how quiet it is at that point, because you're too busy trying to clear the tears out of your eyes.

Anyways, hope that helps.
Great information. Appreciate the amount of detail!

Like most of us, I'm NOT made of money however I never bought any type of firearm for protection that was Cheap. I always did my research, figured out what the Best Option was for that Gun or Suppressor and made the purchase. If it was out of what I had saved, I waited till I had enough money and THEN made the purchase. My research has shown that the SUREFIRE SOCOM556 RC Suppressor ($970) or the ADVANCED ARMAMENT SR 5 Suppressor ($849) was the Best ones for Civillian use and purchase. My research was done through friends with Law Enforcement as well as DEA that I regularly shoot with. The prices I have shown are M.S.R.P. and DO NOT INCLUDE the Tax Stamp. I understand Budget may be important however, do your research and make sure you are buying Quality.....Your Life may some day rely on it......

You answered my questions, to the point. Only problem is you will help me spend more money. Will review with strong interest. Who knows! Appreciate your efforts.

I have owned the original YHM Turbo 556 for two years now. Lost track of round count but probably 1000 or so. I know that most guys weekend but I've got a lot going on that is more of a priority right now.

So I've been out in the desert shooting and at ranges (in door and outdoor) and everyone around me has commented how quiet the thing is. I have it on a Colt 6933 upper and I'm using the YHM muzzle brake that came with the can.

Some of the people that commented had suppressors too and were surprised a "cheap" one worked so well. Not their words but that's the impression they gave.

Overall, I like it and would recommend it but would maybe look at the "K" version.

Good luck and have fun!

Not to be that guy but to be totally honest I would save my pennies and buy a silencerco suppressor. I own a omega and it is amazing and easy to switch between my rifles and it works for more than one caliber. ;)

Two local shops actually have them in inventory. Like being able to weigh my options, hands on! The prices are actually within my realm, at one particular store. Plus, the option of using on other calibers might appeal. Not apt to have barrel threaded on .270 WSM at his point of my life. Only other consideration would be something in 6.5 already threaded. Or another close caliber. Appreciate the comments from that guy, too.

I should also add that I'm using the standard Colt charging handle and gas blowback is minimal.

I tried a Geissele super duper changing handle but it actually performed horribly and allowed a lot of gas blowback.

Another thing to note, the suppressor has never ever come loose. The mounting system seems legit.

With tax stamp, it cost me $620 two years ago. They're cheaper now though.

I'm ok with not being as cool as a Delta Force operator. You have to determine if you're ok with that too.

Am a gimpy, silver haired, whiskered, cigar smoking soon to be 70 years old. Gimp comes from being hit by drunk driver in '98. Silver hair comes from number of days. Passion from cigars came from grandfather. But can still get around,have 20/15 uncorrected distance vision and can shoot well enough for not being cool. Most of the guys who thought themselves cool from my day are dead. My objective for suppression is to continue enjoying my wife's company when hunting and calling coyotes.

Well, if you like value and getting the most out of your money, I honestly can't think of any reason to buy a really expensive suppressor. I don't see the point except for bragging rights. I took a carbine class last year and the instructor had a really expensive suppressor (SureFire I think), his rifle was 16", and his was louder than my 11.5"/YHM setup. I could tell he was impressed with mine but still justified his because that's what LE/Mil use.

Well, if you like value and getting the most out of your money, I honestly can't think of any reason to buy a really expensive suppressor. I don't see the point except for bragging rights. I took a carbine class last year and the instructor had a really expensive suppressor (SureFire I think), his rifle was 16", and his was louder than my 11.5"/YHM setup. I could tell he was impressed with mine but still justified his because that's what LE/Mil use.

My silencerco is really quiet. shooting 308 subs all you hear is the click of the bolt. I was pretty impressed and the prices seem to be fair which is why I always recommend them to people. They also have a great warranty.

I was looking at the solvent traps and quiet bore kits for a form-1 approach like I did for my 9mm. All of the kits seem to be heavy. Are the form-4 already done silencers north of 2 lbs also?

I was looking at the solvent traps and quiet bore kits for a form-1 approach like I did for my 9mm. All of the kits seem to be heavy. Are the form-4 already done silencers north of 2 lbs also?

The solvent traps are cheap and fast ways to get a can, a Form-1 returns in about 2 months, a form-4 might still be a year. Form-4 cans can be almost any weight, it just depends whether you're looking at a carbon steel, stainless, inconel, titanium, etc... type can. The stronger and more high temperature the material is, the lighter the can will be. It also matters whether it's rated for full auto, SBR, etc.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top