JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as Arizona being a, "Right To Work" state. That in itself does not necessarily mean low wages, or a lower standard of living. In fact I would argue the exact opposite. In the last 10 years liberal Democratic, unionized states like Illinois, Michigan, and California have seen massive layoffs, along with companies moving out in droves. The reason is because taxes are too high, and the cost of doing business has become too great.

On the other hand, right to work states like Arizona and Texas have seen major increases in both wages, and the amount of jobs available as more and more companies move there. Also property taxes are much lower, and that alone makes living far more affordable. Places like Cook County, Illinois have some of the highest property taxes in the nation. Making it almost unaffordable to live there. I don't care what you're getting paid.

To give you an example. The house we sold in Lake Zurich, Illinois back in 1991 had property taxes of $4,000.00 a year back then when we left. Now the same house has seen the property taxes increase to over $10,000.00 A YEAR TODAY! That's $833.33 a month just in taxes. Who can honestly afford that? Especially after you pile on everything else needed to live.

Here in Glendale my taxes are only $1,000.00 and change a year. So the bottom line, is there's far more to consider than just wages when moving to a right to work state. There is no benefit in being the highest paid unemployed person on your block. And that is quickly becoming the case in a lot of these over taxed, unionized, liberal Democratic strongholds, that are busting these companies right out of their states. Leaving a trail of layoffs and unemployed people in their wake.

Another thing to consider if you're older, is health care, along with it's affordability. I'll be 65 this coming November. And today I just came from a meeting with my insurance agent. As it turns out Maricopa County, (Phoenix Metro Area), is the absolute best county in the state for Medicare insurance. Both for cost and best coverage offered.

That means a lot when you get old and retire. These smaller towns and counties have much fewer options, and far worse coverage. In many areas the Medicare Advantage Plans cost far more. So you wind up paying more, and getting far less coverage. That stinks on ice when you get old. Not to mention you will end up traveling further to get it. Rural living is nice and peaceful, I'll grant you. There is nothing quite like shooting in your back yard. But as always, there is more to think about. Especially as you get on in years.

Tucson has some good doctors, just not enough of them. Biggest problem here is the administrative staff. Its like theyre barely literate, don't know how to help patients and don't follow through. That's a harsh generalization, but I've changed several doctors because the staff were total losers. I think I know why, but I'll let you figure it out.

I don't like Phoenix for a lot of reasons, but except for the VA facility there, medical care isn't one of them.

Wrong side of the border! Going from OR to CA would like getting out of the frying pan to get in the fi

Backpage has lots of land at every price point
No matter where you buy your land, I have learned you hafta
do your due diligence and make sure what you are buying is a
buildable piece of land with access (a road to it) and available utilities
It took me a couple of years of active searching to find the lot I now have
I have changed realtors many times, when I found folks eager to sell me
something I didn't want, just to collect their commission

I just missed buying a lot that was 'Hillside Ordinance' which I learned
means that everyone who does work or delivers anything there get's to charge extra

Across the line near Yuma there is a huge medical facility my buddy goes too. American trained Mexican Doctors that have everything you need there at a fraction of the cost. It caters to retired Americans from what he says.

If you're going to buy raw land, WATER is the absolute first on your list. I wanted to build near Seligman, but water was near extinct. They did have a free water source in town for hauling your own water, but what a pain in the bubblegum..

Across the line near Yuma there is a huge medical facility my buddy goes too. American trained Mexican Doctors that have everything you need there at a fraction of the cost. It caters to retired Americans from what he says.

don't know that I'd want to trust the med facilities on the other side. too many horror stories about infections and problems. One nasty case is too many for me!

don't know that I'd want to trust the med facilities on the other side. too many horror stories about infections and problems. One nasty case is too many for me!

I once worked with a co-worker who went to Mexico to have his dentures done. All he talked about was how much money he was going to be saving. He ended up getting a horrible oral infection that took over 3 months to treat, (here). And was extremely painful and expensive. It ended up costing him almost a month total off work as well. He also ended up having the dentures redone because they fit so poorly, and were painful for him to wear.

If you're going to buy raw land, WATER is the absolute first on your list. I wanted to build near Seligman, but water was near extinct. They did have a free water source in town for hauling your own water, but what a pain in the bubblegum..
Do you know of any good website that show well logs or water tables for the various regions?

Do you know of any good website that show well logs or water tables for the various regions?

you might want to start with the ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF WATER RESOURCES which regulates and compiles data on water resources and wells in the state. Probably easier than checking with a bunch of drilling companies!

I live in Maricopa now, Lived 6 years in Gila Bend Thought it be nice to get to a small town. Jump on my quad and be in a shooting area less than 5 minutes. It was great, but Obama didn't support boarder patrol and the drugs moved in, then crime, been shot at riding my quad, illegals, Sheriffs on the take. I moved east to Maricopa I like it here, lots of police. Towns clean, crime is low people are soso. But I keep to myself and my 2 dogs and shot about 20 minutes out from my house.

I like TRC. A Lot of folks drive out from Tucson to shoot. Really low key. No range masters. Common since and cooperation among shooters. A five minute indoctrination and off you go.
Been a while since last Iogged into this site and found your post about the TRC, as in the TRC out near Three Points. There is a Tucson Mountain Park Shooting range, too, but that's another topic/place that is a PITA in its own right.
Unless they have changed the procedures, they DO have Range Masters and DO insist on following safety regs closely (at the Three Points range, that is).
I used to shoot there on a regular basis and we'd have "Night Shoot" every 2nd Saturday starting mid to late afternoon then shoot into the darkness, depending on the course of fire for the day. Lots of good fun and practical shooting experience to be gained.
If you want to shoot on the 1,000 yard line, you need to call and reserve it in advance and shoot during the week. Most weekends have range conflict with the 1K range due to proximity and/or previous reservations for the 1K range.
We also used to be able to shoot our .50BMG rifles on the 1K range, but, again, making reservations well in advance and checking multiple times a week or two prior on a regular basis is a MUST.
Plus, unless they have changed the rules, there is ONE person who can "qualify" you to shoot your .50BMG rifle there and that person is ME. Again, contact them and ask for specifics and IF you can still shoot a 50BMG there.
Long story and a PITA to post why and etc. here and now but if you PM me and REALLY want to shoot your 50 there, contact me.
But DON'T bug me if you are only kicking tires or wanna know just because.
Anyhow, before heading out to the TRC out near Three Points, call them ahead and ask questions to get answers about the range(s) you want to shoot on.

I live in Maricopa now, Lived 6 years in Gila Bend Thought it be nice to get to a small town. Jump on my quad and be in a shooting area less than 5 minutes. It was great, but Obama didn't support boarder patrol and the drugs moved in, then crime, been shot at riding my quad, illegals, Sheriffs on the take. I moved east to Maricopa I like it here, lots of police. Towns clean, crime is low people are soso. But I keep to myself and my 2 dogs and shot about 20 minutes out from my house.
Man, I wish I still had MY quad so I could load it up with guns, ammo and fluids and go out into the middle of nowhere to shoot LONG ranges without being pestered.
Ah, the GOOD old days, eh? :-/

Lots of good places to shoot out that way. Just make sure you steer clear of the reservation.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top