JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Res was easy the police were ok. Damn drug haulers you run into

I accidentally got in front of a 3-vehicle caravan of who I assume we're drug haulers on a long dusty road out in the desert. They were moving pretty fast, and I wasn't about to pull over at a wide spot in the road to see if they would simply drive by, or give me a parting gift as well. I can tell you they never caught me. I stayed in the throttle until I got far enough away to find a defensive spot to let them go by. I'm not sure what the outcome would have been if they followed me up the trail I took to get away... And I was quite happy not to find out too. I am just not that "adventurous". LOL

Man, I'd look long and hard before committing to buy land on ANY reservation, AZ or elsewhere. Unless the laws have changed, ALL Reservation land is considered "Federal" land and unless you fit the criteria to be considered at least 25% "Native America," you cannot "own" any Federal/Tribal land.
I'm not a Federal attorney and might be wrong on the above but I'd DAMNED sure do some serious Due Diligence to confirm in writing if you can if that is your desire.
Also, unless you qualify for Native American status you cannot hunt on Tribal lands and, again IIRC, you cannot discharge a firearm on those lands, either, unless a FEDERAL LEO in the course of the job.
Waaaay back in the day when I was a County Mounty (AKA Pima County Deputy Sheriff) even I couldn't traverse across tribal lands beyond State Highways or Interstate roads just for grins and giggles. I couldn't affect an arrest of a Native American off those roads, either, unless I had a SPECIFIC L of A (Letter of Authorization) from the Chief of BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) in Washington, D.C., for specific times, places, dates and individuals! It was crazy, I tell ya. I could serve a warrant on them OFF the Res like I could any other person, but NOT on any Tribal Lands. Go figger. SMDH
Couldn't chase a fleeing Felon onto Tribal Law, either, without FIRST getting federal authority and then having a member of the specific Reservation Police on hand and in person. MADDENING, I tell ya!!!
The whole point of my rant is you'd best check, double check then triple check again with someone who is qualified to make such acquisitions for others.
It would be REAL easy to get ripped off by someone you cannot touch because they absconded to the Res with your cashola and were a Native American Con Artist. I've seen 'em and had to talk down several non-indian victims of various crimes.
So Buyer Beware.

Last Edited:
I used to make keys for a guy who did auto repo's on the Res
he told me he had been in fear for his life on several occasions
and that taking an indian's car was a death sentence if they catch you

While I have no knowledge about that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
When I was stationed in Ajo, AZ, there was a Video Store that went out of business because they made the mistake of renting video tape machines (pre-DVD days) and tapes to N.A. feeling they were a safe bet to "loan" to due to their monthly income checks from the Fed's.
Well, they'd get the machines and scoot back to the Res and never return the machines or tapes, knowing us local LEO's could do nothing and the Res cops couldn't be bothered .
That was known to happen with several New Car Dealers back when the mine was up and running, too.
N.A.'s would buy/finance a car, take it to the Res, never to be seen again or ever making payment. Eventually someone would report the car or truck as being abandoned somewhere just off the Res.
We'd respond, run the VIN, find it had been reported as STOLEN, then have it hauled it to the compound. The finance company would respond (hoping they'd be able to at least fix and resell the car) only to find the engine locked up because it was driven until out of oil, so it ended up being scrapped for parts.
It sure sucked to be the dealer but I suppose that is why they had insurance. But time after time they'd sell cars to N.A.'s anyway.
What a scam, huh? LMAO
Ah, the Good Old Days. :)

Don't go to tempe. Pretty anti gun college town over here. My appt has a no guns in common space rule I still open carry because I carry for work and outside of work in case someone recognises me. I'm gonna be moving to surprise area. It's pretty open and houses are cheap

Well OP, you have 67 "opinions" about moving to and living in the Grand Canyon state comments ranged from: don't move there, and oh H3ll no, or do not go there; tell ya what, come visit NM and see what a state with the land mass of AZ looks like with only 2.08M citizens.

Yes, Albuquerque metro has the majority of those citizens, Santa Fe & Taos are $$$, but that stated there are a gaggle of areas in the state which promote rural and quite reasonable with good friendly citizens.

A draw back, there are times when the state's governance seems it is still ruled by the Conquistadors who are stuck on stupid, oh wait, that is the current concept with the majority of the legislative arenas in this country.

Now you have alternate location 1.

Payson, AZ here. 5000' elevation, so although we can get to the low 100's (rarely) in the summer, we escape the hell-like summers of the valley. We also get a bit of snow in the winter. This past winter was very mild. We had 2.5" of snow once, and then maybe there were 2 additional "dustings". We get the summer monsoons as well. The air is very clean here, and the full time population is right about 16K people, so we have a Home Depot, a Super Walmart, and a Tractor Supply and a few different restaurants. There is an awesome outdoor shooting range just outside of town, that is ridiculously inexpensive to join, and a couple gun stores......one right in town, the other right about 5 miles away. There is lots of great camping in the mountains not too many miles away. There is always the fear of forest fires, as well. In my opinion, the cost of housing is a bit higher than it should be, based on the job market here, as I think alot of well-heeled valley residents have vacay homes here, inflating the costs a bit. Local well-paying jobs are VERY few and far between. Hope that helps a bit.

Payson, AZ here. 5000' elevation, so although we can get to the low 100's (rarely) in the summer, we escape the hell-like summers of the valley. We also get a bit of snow in the winter. This past winter was very mild. We had 2.5" of snow once, and then maybe there were 2 additional "dustings". We get the summer monsoons as well. The air is very clean here, and the full time population is right about 16K people, so we have a Home Depot, a Super Walmart, and a Tractor Supply and a few different restaurants. There is an awesome outdoor shooting range just outside of town, that is ridiculously inexpensive to join, and a couple gun stores......one right in town, the other right about 5 miles away. There is lots of great camping in the mountains not too many miles away. There is always the fear of forest fires, as well. In my opinion, the cost of housing is a bit higher than it should be, based on the job market here, as I think alot of well-heeled valley residents have vacay homes here, inflating the costs a bit. Local well-paying jobs are VERY few and far between. Hope that helps a bit.

Ah, to be able to buy a hunk of land, maybe 20 acres or more(?) then move a trailer up (or Hippy Micro Van? LOL) to the property and set up shop .(JK on the trailer. Don't want to devalue surrounding property values, right? :)

Well OP, you have 67 "opinions" about moving to and living in the Grand Canyon state comments ranged from: don't move there, and oh H3ll no, or do not go there; tell ya what, come visit NM and see what a state with the land mass of AZ looks like with only 2.08M citizens.

Yes, Albuquerque metro has the majority of those citizens, Santa Fe & Taos are $$$, but that stated there are a gaggle of areas in the state which promote rural and quite reasonable with good friendly citizens.

A draw back, there are times when the state's governance seems it is still ruled by the Conquistadors who are stuck on stupid, oh wait, that is the current concept with the majority of the legislative arenas in this country.

Now you have alternate location 1.
I'm a Desert Rat myself but like the option to drive a bit to get out of the desert and see some mountains and trees, so my only concern would be to find a chunk of land of at LEAST 20 acres and preferably a Section of land where I could sink a well for water without having to drill half way to China, then set up a solar array of enough capacity to power a homestead, plant a considerable garden, raise some livestock and become a self-sufficient as practical then get off the grid.
Ideally, the property would butt up to National Forest land that is heavily wooded in order to take advantage of the opportunity for hiking and, perhaps, hunting of big game (in season, Natch). That would be a nice slice of Heaven but even though property costs aren't extraordinarily high, my desires for the above needs wouldn't come cheap, either.
If ONLY I could win a HUGE Lottery, I'd be making tracks that way myself.

Moved from CT to Prescott Valley about 5 years ago. Climate is great. High desert. Always about 10-15 degrees cooler than the valley. A week or so in the teen's during winter. Dusting of snow now and then.
PV is a little cheaper than Prescott, but, as mentioned, Californians come in with money and screw everything up. House prices have increased greatly. Wages suck. Taxes slowly going up.
Still better than CT. Traded 2 democrat bubblegum wipes there, for 2 republican morons here. Proves its career politicians and not a party.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top