JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the threads on NWFA that was always interesting was the "spooky stories from being 'out there'". I don't have that many spooky stores, but I have some kooky stories that are still worth sharing.

One night some years ago, I had been in Vegas all week (this was before I moved) for a trade-show. Leaving Friday night, after saying goodbye to friends, and visiting some family who insisted I stay for dinner, I was getting a late start to the drive. Rather than taking the normal I-15 back to LA, I was going to spend the weekend in Twentynine Palms and do some off-roading. So I was going to go the back way, I-95 south to Goffs Rd, to I-40, and then through Amboy and down Amboy Rd. It's a slower way to go, but much more relaxing, no need to maintain a high level of speed, little risk of getting a speeding ticket. Anyway, I had gone through Amboy late, I stopped at Roys for a few to stretch my legs and walk around, there was some kind of retro-furniture aesthetic display at the showroom of the Hotel, Roys unfortunately was closed, but I stumbled around for a bit, relieved myself, and got back in the road. Rt 66 goes for another mile or two, and then turning south on Amboy Rd. This leads through some salt flats, the saline water can be an interesting thing to see during the day, the deep aquamarine color of the water loaded with salt. But not tonight, it was dark, and moonless. Might have even been overcast. Driving down the road a few miles, I see an overturned pickup, maybe 50 ft from the road. No lights, no dust, but it looked recent.

Being the full-time paranoid I pulled out and loaded my handgun and put it on the seat next to me. I slowly rolled towards the accident, a little unsure of what was going to happen. I drove completely around the Vehicle and saw no one, so I drove around again, still nothing. I drove away, and turned around, lights towards the vehicle, I was going to call the CHP, have them give it a look. I looked at the clock it was nearly 2am. As I was about to dial, a dude came stumbling out from behind the truck. I rolled down my window, and said "Hey, you ok" "yea, all things considered" "do you need a tow, EMS, or police" "I already called, they're on the way". He seemed maybe a little drunk, but it could have been a concussion or some other kind of trauma, but he seemed ok, and also didn't seem to need help or want any. That's when he said the damnedest thing: "Have you ever seen the size of the elk out here".

This is the middle of the GD desert, there are springs and oasis here and there, but there are no elk. I didn't feel the need to correct him, just wished him well and continued my drive. About 15 miles later, I passed a tow truck headed in the other direction.

I've been up and down US 95 between Fallon and Vegas about 200 times. It can get very lonely out there very late at night. I drove two each 42-foot milk tankers 169 of those 200 times; the entire length of the rig had to be around 100 feet. I was praising God I never had to pull that thang off the road at 0200 because so very, very much of US 95 has no shoulder solid enough to support a rig grossing 129,000 pounds. There were no scales on 95 when I was running up and down in 2006-2008, so I left my farm at 141,000 pounds, which is 12,000 pounds overweight. Would have been pretty much a guarantee that I'd roll the thing if I ever had to park it loaded on a soft shoulder. Then the obama would have really hit the fan...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top