JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I installed a split unit air conditioner in my last garage, it cost me under $1,000 & it wasn't too difficult, just drilled a hole in the wall for the hose to run & ran a wire from the circuit box for
the 110 ac. The unit came pre-charged with refrigerant from the factory so all I had to do once it was hooked up was open a valve. Thing is when you open the garage door all the cold air goes out

Not to be that "dick" kid in the class that's smarter than everyone (I'm not a dick, LOL).... but technically (according to thermodynamic law #2) the heat (higher temperature and energy) comes into the garage when you open it, and not the cold (lower temperature and energy) going out as heat always travels toward "cold" until thermal equilibrium is achieved because nature abhors a vacuum, so close the damned door ASAP!!

BTW "cold" isn't a thing, it's just an adjective describing a physical feeling. I remember my freshman year in high school physics arguing with my science teacher when he first stated that "cold" doesn't exist... I was a "dick" at that time.... LOL

Class dismissed, carry on. ;):D

The EPA cards means you have had some instruction in the proper handling of the AC coolant gas. I have personally witnessed 3 homeowners release the Freon into the atmosphere. It's because of instances like these certifications are now required. If your Granger's purchase required interstate transportation of the AC unit then a whole new group of regulations apply.

Too bad nobody told Costco, the vast amount of refrigerant I have released has come from there

I do have the certs for refrigerant and there is a clause
"De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released while making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant including releases that occur when connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances.Sep 26, 2016
Just venting is a no no.

When I worked at the U in Tempe the systems there were so large that we could vent 1000 pounds a year and still not have to file on releases. The big chillers held 2000 pound of R12. The smallest chiller in central plant held 1500 pounds of R134.

I got thrown out of my first Refrigerant class for asking If the ozone hole is getting larger and car exhaust makes ozone do not the two balance themselves out? The U was paying for the class and really needed me to pass so they got us another instructor. He was a bit more informed. He told me that there was no study that he knew of where they were tracking the ozone produced by cars other than to call it smog.
We used 2 and 3 inch vacuum pumps for the chillers, even running 2 pumps it took 2-3 days to get a vacuum on each machine. We cracked these machines once a year for maintenance. Water is a terrible thing even distilled treated water creates terrible deposits inside the evaporators over the course of a year.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top