JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Won't do anything to it. I tend to keep my stuff inside the house, but that heat won't bother it. I won't store components in high heat, but that's just me.

Last Edited:
As a lot of you know I just moved to AZ. My intent was to store stuff in the garage but holy hell it must be 120 degrees in there.

do you guys store ammo in cans and reloading supplies in that kind of heat?
Luckily, the threshold for damage is much higher for ammo than it is for humans. Welcome to the valley! Next month it will warm up some more.

Lived in Alaska. Extreme cold effected metal and wood properties. Thus, I submit extreme heat may effect chemical materials. The little bit of scientist in me says to eliminate vectors. My solution for powders was a small wine cooler, since my reloading room is in my shop which is insulated but not air conditioned or heated. That cooler died so Father's Day brought a Sam's Club small fridge. Keep powder in controlled environment, perhaps not needed, according to some. Extra spaces allows to keep a supply of cigars in airtight storage. Convenient for cool drinks.

When I bought my home here in LHC it had a swamp cooler that would keep the garage fairly cool. But, it also rusted my 5/8" thick welding bench that is also my reloading table. I'm also sure it would affect my powder performance as well. So I created a small insulated room with 2x4's and drywall and installed a small window A/C and now it's great. I did lose a parking space so I have to park my old pick-up truck under a carport so I cam keep our family car in the garage. I suggest, if you have room, buy a wooden shed and insulate it well and install a small window A/C, that shoukd resolve most issues. That is my ultimate goal so I can get my parking space back for my pick-up.

Yes the heat will effect most everything. I have a closet inside the house that I use for the tightly sealed powder bottles. In a different room I store my primers inside a metal container. Brass and projectiles are fine in the garage least wise for me. I used sealed plastic containers because of the critters that are here in the desert. I live close to the wild and have javelin frequently in my front yard. Along with the occasional rattle snake in the back. I can hear the coyotes singing over the back fence and wish they would invite me for their parties. I also have an HOA to contend with. This part of Tucson is mostly developed, I have a golf course near so there is a lot of critters living there.
Be especially careful of anything made of hard plastic even in the garage. I bought hard plastic for some of my networking stuff and left them in the garage. 8 years later they are breaking when I move them or open them, they were never exposed to the sun.
As others have mentioned about evap coolers they can be the death of a lot of products. I do not use them any more.
Welcome neighbor, glad you made it.

Yes the heat will effect most everything. I have a closet inside the house that I use for the tightly sealed powder bottles. In a different room I store my primers inside a metal container. Brass and projectiles are fine in the garage least wise for me. I used sealed plastic containers because of the critters that are here in the desert. I live close to the wild and have javelin frequently in my front yard. Along with the occasional rattle snake in the back. I can hear the coyotes singing over the back fence and wish they would invite me for their parties. I also have an HOA to contend with. This part of Tucson is mostly developed, I have a golf course near so there is a lot of critters living there.
Be especially careful of anything made of hard plastic even in the garage. I bought hard plastic for some of my networking stuff and left them in the garage. 8 years later they are breaking when I move them or open them, they were never exposed to the sun.
As others have mentioned about evap coolers they can be the death of a lot of products. I do not use them any more.
Welcome neighbor, glad you made it.

Haha thanks for the info I was going to buy a cooler but I guess that is out of the question. This also changes how I want a house laid out when I buy one. Oh the wife will be so happy :s0140:

Coolers can be used, but getting the right mixture of water and air is hard to do unless you have some instruction. I was lucky when I moved to Phoenix, I had a workmate that explained it to me and showed me how to make it work. The real problem is exhausting the air. To keep the rust down you must exhaust 100% of the air coming in. This usually mean leaving doors or windows open. BAD idea. They used to make a thing called UPDUCT. Where you could exhaust the air into the attic. Which could work, but you need so many of them.
Up-Dux 14 in. x 7-1/4 in. Evaporative Cooler Ceiling Vent-7610 - The Home Depot
Christ those got to be expensive.
Check to see if your garage attic is insulated. Some are some are not. Also the door. You can pick up a insulating kit at the box stores for about 100 bucks including the spay glue Cellofoam Garage Door Insulation Kit (8-Pieces)-Garage Door Insulation Kit - 8 pcs - The Home Depot
Helps some, just make sure the glue and board are compatible.
The monsoon season has started and the dew point will be rising, last week we here in Tucson it was around 10 now it is 50 ish. We had rain way east and south yesterday. First time in 35 days.
The chart is the premier example of what a cooler can do at its best. It was done by a weather guy called Phillips from Phoenix long ago.
One other minor tid bit. Any cooler you look at will state CFM's. It is all a lie using the pulleys that come with it you will be as much as 1000 cfm's less. Last cooler I set up I changed the big pulley to next larger diameter and got close to rated CFM. The single pad coolers work a bit better and are a lot easier to clean. They are also more expensive.
Water can get expensive, so water your plants and or lawn only after the sun goes down. Doing it while the sun is up is just asking for evaporation to accelerate. A pool can loose 2" inches a day depending on the wind and size.
You arrived just in time for the 4 months of the year that it gets warm. Come October, November you will know why it is a great place to live.
I saw snow in Phoenix 3 times in 46 years. Usually it just gets cold enough to make the hoses stiff.

DewPoint.jpg

Ammunition will deteriorate in the heat we have here. As will powder and primers. Components will typically be okay, except for lead with lube. Yes, ammunition CAN survive storage in high temperatures, but there are many instances that have proven it is not the smartest choice.

In a different room I store my primers inside a metal container.
Also known as a bomb. :D

I would suggest wood or plastic.

Powder can definitely be made unstable in high heat found in AZ garages in the summer. Before I air conditioned my garage I recorded temperatures over 130 degrees. I suggest you get a split system air conditioner for your garage. The system can be installed in 1day for under $2,000.00 if you can do most of the work yourself. The final hookup of the coolant lines can be done by an AC tech for under $200.00 if you cannot do that yourself. Do this and you will never regret it.

Powder can definitely be made unstable in high heat found in AZ garages in the summer. Before I air conditioned my garage I recorded temperatures over 130 degrees. I suggest you get a split system air conditioner for your garage. The system can be installed in 1day for under $2,000.00 if you can do most of the work yourself. The final hookup of the coolant lines can be done by an AC tech for under $200.00 if you cannot do that yourself. Do this and you will never regret it.

This is the best idea, swamp coolers will put out too much moisture that has to be dealt with. A ductless spilt system like a Mitsubishi, Daikin, LG, or Toshiba will cool (and heat) the space as needed, plus they'll also dehydrate the humidity from the room.

(HVAC/R, boiler, and chiller mechanic ;))

So ammo is safe. But I think I'll put the components in the spare closet until I figure out how to get the garage cooled off

I installed a split unit air conditioner in my last garage, it cost me under $1,000 & it wasn't too difficult, just drilled a hole in the wall for the hose to run & ran a wire from the circuit box for
the 110 ac. The unit came pre-charged with refrigerant from the factory so all I had to do once it was hooked up was open a valve. Thing is when you open the garage door all the cold air goes out

I installed a split unit air conditioner in my last garage, it cost me under $1,000 & it wasn't too difficult, just drilled a hole in the wall for the hose to run & ran a wire from the circuit box for
the 110 ac. The unit came pre-charged with refrigerant from the factory so all I had to do once it was hooked up was open a valve. Thing is when you open the garage door all the cold air goes out

You did it right. The prices for the split systems have definitely gone up. My $2,000.00 estimate was for a 2 ton split system, electrical separate circuit wiring, prefab ac compressor slab, and a permit. A homeowner needs to get a permit for resale value and to avoid fire insurance problems if something unforeseen happens. Make sure your garage attic is insulated. If not do it yourself as many houses were built in AZ without garage insulation. If the garage door isn't insulated you had better do it or the AC will run a lot more. Also be sure your garage door seals are in good condition. You will be glad you did.
Retired master electrician , electrical contractor , and 3rd generation AZ native.

I cheat - the only thing in the garage is the lead pot and lead. When it gets hot enough to melt lead the house will be on fire and I won't worry about doing any reloading. Everything else is in the computer room/reloading room. Converted a TV stand to a single stage press table. Powder is in a double draw WOOD filing cabinet, and primers are stored on the top shelf of the closet behind me when not in use. House has an AC unit, not swamp - I learned a LONG time ago as a wee sprat in AZ that swamps are great for half the summer and useless the other half. AC costs more and is far better if you want actual cool air.

You did it right. The prices for the split systems have definitely gone up. My $2,000.00 estimate was for a 2 ton split system, electrical separate circuit wiring, prefab ac compressor slab, and a permit. A homeowner needs to get a permit for resale value and to avoid fire insurance problems if something unforeseen happens. Make sure your garage attic is insulated. If not do it yourself as many houses were built in AZ without garage insulation. If the garage door isn't insulated you had better do it or the AC will run a lot more. Also be sure your garage door seals are in good condition. You will be glad you did.
Retired master electrician , electrical contractor , and 3rd generation AZ native.

My dad checked my work, we had no problems with the install--only trouble I ran into was I ordered from Grainger & when the A/C arrived Grainger refused to let me take delivery cause I didn't have an EPA card-- So I ordered from Home Depot Maintenance Warehouse and picked it up at my local Home Depot. It's tough when local companies can't understand the law & since it came pre-filled at the factory there was no reason why I needed an EPA card

I cheat - the only thing in the garage is the lead pot and lead. When it gets hot enough to melt lead the house will be on fire and I won't worry about doing any reloading. Everything else is in the computer room/reloading room. Converted a TV stand to a single stage press table. Powder is in a double draw WOOD filing cabinet, and primers are stored on the top shelf of the closet behind me when not in use. House has an AC unit, not swamp - I learned a LONG time ago as a wee sprat in AZ that swamps are great for half the summer and useless the other half. AC costs more and is far better if you want actual cool air.
The cost of using an AC unit vs. an evaporative cooler is less than you would think. The increase of water usage with their corresponding sewer fees greatly reduce any difference. The greater service required for the evaporative cooler also offsets their higher cost. When compared with a new high efficiency split system AC the evaporative cooler electrical power requirements are about equal . In the long run a split system AC unit wins hands down . P.S. a split system AC is also a lot quieter. Hope this helps make a decision.

The EPA cards means you have had some instruction in the proper handling of the AC coolant gas. I have personally witnessed 3 homeowners release the Freon into the atmosphere. It's because of instances like these certifications are now required. If your Granger's purchase required interstate transportation of the AC unit then a whole new group of regulations apply.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top