JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's spring in the desert, it's not hot yet, but it's going to be getting there soon. I've got a bunch of new toys I'd like to uncork and I was thinking about doing a camping trip out near Vegas. I've been looking at spots out between Vegas and Pahrump, It looks like there are a few spots out there we can't shoot on the west side of Mt Charleston, but there are a lot of places where it's not an issue.

At this point, I'm thinking the last weekend in April Which would be 29-30th.

I've done quite a few desert events in the past, and usually have to spend a lot of time doing footwork on where it's legal to shoot, and what's a good place to actually go. I don't know if anyone local could possibly step up and suggest some spots I can at least get a photo-recon done of in the next few days so i can start planning logistics?

As usual, open to all, but safety is always a consideration.

Here's the area I'm looking at specifically (Near Mt Potosi off Pauline Mine Rd)

Google Maps

Last Edited:
Ya know? I have not had a vacation in a year and a half. My birthday is the 26th. I have several toys that need to be test fired, I love camping, my dogs love the outdoors....................This just might be something to look into and maybe plan. Spring time in the desert is so cool because everything is green and still cool enough to be comfortable. I will for sure think real hard about this. Thanx!

I've been looking to do regular shoots in NV for a while now, I was thinking seriously last year about purchasing property east of reno. Do a twice yearly thing for my CA crew, WA crew, new friends from OR, and anyone else who wants to show. However, there's some ambiguity in my life about moving to GA at the moment full time. I would rather stay in the west, but the money is too good, but I'm always afraid the offer is too good to be true. So I'm keeping my options open, still looking for the right property, just haven't decided to pull the trigger on anything yet. I would buy something in southern NV, but the prices are too high, and the summers are too hot.

Up in the northern reaches you can get pretty middle-of-nowhere for <$10k for 40-100 ac. At those prices, you can get quite a range setup and not worry too much about the carrying cost (it'll be paid for). Solar has become really cheap over the last few years, and if you have enough solar energy, you can reprocess your own water. I don't know that it would be year-round livable, but it could certainly make a great vacation spot to go out enjoy some quality shooting time.

I may take some flak for this, but I look at stuff like Nutnfancy's soldier-boy drills, and while it's really cool that he does that, as he points out, he doesn't do it more often because it's a pain in the butt to haul gear out, and when you're on uncontrolled wild land, god knows who is out there, and it can be impractical to bring a big group out.

For the most part, I probably won't be able to do this event unless I can lean on some of the locals who have either been into the area and know whether this is even a good idea. I called my cousin to see if he can go out and do a recon of the area. (he's a vegas local), and I'm pushing some of the socal people to man up and commit.

I'd be open to changing the date to accommodate people, I put up the earliest I could make it out, however much later than that and I won't be able to. (when is mother's day? may?)

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top