JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most public lands are closed to shooting during the dry season.
But, the restrictions are lifted once monsoon season hits. (Be sure to check USFS/BLM websites for the divisions in your area, to verify that the restrictions have been lifted.)

There is State Trust land here that you can use, again check for Fire Conditions, But you must have a hunting license or a State Land Permit to use the land (also needed for ATVs). Around 20 bucks a year. Must be kept in the vehicle.

Also:
Ben Avery Public Range, North of Phoenix on State Road 74 (Carefree Highway)

Main Range (the only public shooting range that permits rifles, pistols, and shotguns) will be closed on May 27th, 28th, and 29th (Wednesday - Friday) for range improvement. It will reopen on Saturday, May 30th at 7am.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/BenAveryHours.shtml

Main Range Year Round Hours - Effective on January 4, 2012

Monday CLOSED
Tuesday CLOSED
Wednesday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Thursday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Ben Avery is a great place for big bore long range stuff I believe they still have 1000yd and meter ranges.
There used to be a smaller range out on Usrey Pass Road far eastern side of the valley. I used to go out there and site my rifles in during the week and usually there were less than 5 folk about. 100 yd max if I remember. Both of these have fees to pay.

Most of my weapons do not lend themselves to wandering out into the desert and pulling the trigger or is that my brain? We used to shoot at mountain lions on the east end of South Mountain Park when the dump was there. more than 30 years ago. Drive out to 7 springs, Cave Creek and then north of the lake turn off and you will find some spots where no one is about. Pack food and water it is a drive. Be wary of any Indian land, good way to end up in the pokey unless you know some one on the council.

If you decide to use public land for gods sake clean up after your party. That includes the targets.

I live in Tucson now and have found a place where the farmer is ok with me and my friends. Last time we went out he drank a beer with us as we were cleaning up. He has been known to run folk off. He busted me once for lowering my AR10 from shooting a coyote. There were cows just above my sight line not close to the coyote but above my sight line, as a farm boy I am not explaining to anyone why I shot their livestock. He wants the coyotes gone.

<broken image removed>

Elzy Pearson Memorial Firing range, just south of Casa Grande. City maintained, un monitored, (right next to the PD range so most idiots don't come by when the cops are shooting), and FREE....

Last edited by a moderator:
We continue to fill the bed of my truck with other people's junk every time we go into the desert to shoot. It amazes me that people are so very self-absorbed that they don't realize that leaving their target trash or destroyed appliances or whatever they bring out to shoot at - will eventually cause the loss of the shooting areas we enjoy so much. People are pigs.

We continue to fill the bed of my truck with other people's junk every time we go into the desert to shoot. It amazes me that people are so very self-absorbed that they don't realize that leaving their target trash or destroyed appliances or whatever they bring out to shoot at - will eventually cause the loss of the shooting areas we enjoy so much. People are pigs.

There's nothing that pisses me off more than inconsiderate people who trash our public lands. That reminds me, I need to setup our three bags of trash program here :)

Before I moved to Reno from there they shut down Miller road to shooting, along with several other places I would frequent. Unless things changed in the past year or two.

Dang. They CLOSED this great place. South of Green Valley. Some called it "Sportsman's Range" Plenty of open area for many places to shoot. BUT.... according to the article in the Sahuarita Sun somebody decided to put up a locked gate with a No Trespassing sign. BOOOO. No_Trespassing.jpg

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top