JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ben Avery is a great place for big bore long range stuff I believe they still have 1000yd and meter ranges.
There used to be a smaller range out on Usrey Pass Road far eastern side of the valley. I used to go out there and site my rifles in during the week and usually there were less than 5 folk about. 100 yd max if I remember. Both of these have fees to pay.

Most of my weapons do not lend themselves to wandering out into the desert and pulling the trigger or is that my brain? We used to shoot at mountain lions on the east end of South Mountain Park when the dump was there. more than 30 years ago. Drive out to 7 springs, Cave Creek and then north of the lake turn off and you will find some spots where no one is about. Pack food and water it is a drive. Be wary of any Indian land, good way to end up in the pokey unless you know some one on the council.

If you decide to use public land for gods sake clean up after your party. That includes the targets.

I live in Tucson now and have found a place where the farmer is ok with me and my friends. Last time we went out he drank a beer with us as we were cleaning up. He has been known to run folk off. He busted me once for lowering my AR10 from shooting a coyote. There were cows just above my sight line not close to the coyote but above my sight line, as a farm boy I am not explaining to anyone why I shot their livestock. He wants the coyotes gone.
The "small" range you refer to is probably Rio Salda gun club. The public can use a range for $10 all day. Targets can be set out to 200 yds and the have steel gongs at 310yds. Safety Strictly enforced. Phoenix Rod & Gun club has public shooting satuday and sunday mornings $10. They have IDPA shoots twice a week.

Just also remember that BLM land will be closed to shooting very soon, as in before the 4th of July holiday weekend. Not sure when it'll open back up again - but they seem to close it off every year to avoid fires when the desert gets dry and sun-scorched due to consistent high temps and no rain.

Just following up....
BLM land in AZ is now closed to shooting or campfires. NO SHOOTING signs are posted.
We went to Casa Grande range today.... along with pretty much everybody else that went to their desert spot and found no shooting signs. LOL

Dang. They CLOSED this great place. South of Green Valley. Some called it "Sportsman's Range" Plenty of open area for many places to shoot. BUT.... according to the article in the Sahuarita Sun somebody decided to put up a locked gate with a No Trespassing sign. BOOOO.View attachment 668

That's too bad. Any idea if it was due to irresponsible shooting, the mess, etc?

Just following up....
BLM land in AZ is now closed to shooting or campfires. NO SHOOTING signs are posted.
We went to Casa Grande range today.... along with pretty much everybody else that went to their desert spot and found no shooting signs. LOL

Thanks for posting the reminder!

Once you got past the washing machine, and the ricochets coming over the hill, the amount of brass not picked up could have been melted into several monkeys. The place was a pig sty, never cleaned up and full of idiots who didn't follow safe practices. Used to be a good place, not recently!

Slobs have ruined many wildcat ranges. Madduner, if you had gone Sunday you could have shot the BREN and the P-10C.

Oh that figures! Hahaha

One thing I did figure out while there saturday..... I will probably shoot in the afternoons there - instead of staring into the morning sun. I also couldn't help but notice all the people shooting just south of the range. No signs are posted, so it must not be BLM land?

I asked CG Parks and Rec people about expanding the range and they said the southern border is a far as it goes, because that's private land. No idea who's out there, but in the few years I've been here they never bothered me. :)

I'm a member of the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. It's right next to the Phoenix Police Academy. Nice place with a lot of ranges. It's open to the public on weekends. I usually go on weekday mornings and have the place to myself. If you're a member you get a gate code to let yourself in. I believe a single membership is $100.00 a year now. Membership runs from September to September.

One of the best kept secrets in Phoenix area is Phoenix Rod and Gun Club. Check out the website.

I say secret because not too many people seem to know about it. Not at all uncommon to go during the week and have the whole range to yourself. Membership and fees are exceptionally reasonable. There's tons of programs if your into organized shooting. The facitilities are a little bare bones but pretty much everything you need is there. Just about every one of the sport's disciplines has space and equipment devoted to it.

Maybe I should be keeping this "secret" to myself because what I like most about it is being able to do my zen marksmanship thing all alone out there in the desert. It's not really "out there" though. Just a couple miles off Baseline at foot of South Mountain.

I'm a member of the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. It's right next to the Phoenix Police Academy. Nice place with a lot of ranges. It's open to the public on weekends. I usually go on weekday mornings and have the place to myself. If you're a member you get a gate code to let yourself in. I believe a single membership is $100.00 a year now. Membership runs from September to September.

Great minds think alike? Didn't see your post before adding mine.
Maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

We've been going to indoor ranges lately. I hate losing all the brass, but I guess that's a small price to pay for someplace to shoot, and also to be cool while doing so. I'm going to have to go check out the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. It's not very far from me at all. Although I sure do like the freedom we enjoy while shooting in the remote desert places. I'll yell out "RANGE HOT!" or "RANGE COLD!" even if there's only 2 of us. LOL

Seems like an indoor range membership would be a good investment considering the temps down there.

Seems like an indoor range membership would be a good investment considering the temps down there.

The temps aren't THAT big of a deal. Our problem is that they shut down the deserts because of fire threats/restrictions and actual fires that are raging lately. We are all pretty much accustomed to the temps. Besides, it's not THAT hot if you go shooting in the mornings. 4:00 in the afternoon is the wrong time to go during the summer! LOL

We do have air conditioned indoor ranges at PRG for pistol and air gun. You need permission to use those but I don't think you have to be involved with any of the leagues anymore.

Outdoor shooting positions are under pavilion and very well shaded. Summer's are still HOT here so wear sunblock and bring plenty cold water. You park right behind the firing line so it's no problem to jump into car A/C if you need to. The old adage about AZ is that it's a dry heat (like a blowtorch) and you get used to it after a while. During the monsoon season the humidity rises dramatically and that can be a serious factor.

Caswell's in Mesa is a dedicated indoor range that is rated for high power rifle. Shooters World in N. Phoenix is HUGE and more regimented. Also indoor, they rent machineguns and pretty much anything that's legal is available. Memberships are a bit pricey at both. Caswells used to have special deals for family and business memberships that were pretty good. Probably still have those but they tightened up a bit on rules.

A side note on Shooters World: the neighborhood is something of a DMZ. Once 2 police cars were broken into in the parking lot and weapons stolen from both! That's pretty brazen. Something to be aware of.

Temps of 90 degrees and higher certainly make a difference to older folks who take certain meds. Doesn't matter too much about the sun, but even going at 8 or 9 in the morning is a challenge.
The closest indoor rifle range I'm aware of is around Ahwatukee, which is close to a two hour drive each way for me. I enjoy shooting, but don't really see the joy in driving 4 hours for an hour or two of burning powder! Wish there were somewhere closer where I can be moderately comfortable and spend time shooting 556's

Temps of 90 degrees and higher certainly make a difference to older folks who take certain meds. Doesn't matter too much about the sun, but even going at 8 or 9 in the morning is a challenge.
The closest indoor rifle range I'm aware of is around Ahwatukee, which is close to a two hour drive each way for me. I enjoy shooting, but don't really see the joy in driving 4 hours for an hour or two of burning powder! Wish there were somewhere closer where I can be moderately comfortable and spend time shooting 556's

All my rifles are "parked" until most likely September some time when they open the deserts back up... if it rains some.

Last year the area we like to shoot at was still closed for fire restrictions, but was flooded and under water. LOL The huge mechanism of government takes a little while to respond to changes. I'm sure they had to convene some sort of a committee to look over conditions and then set down some sort of proclamation that the no shooting signs could now be pulled back in for use next year.

I'd like to find out maybe a little more about this place in Sahuarita. First is it really private land or some damn liberal tree hugger just put a lock on it. Tucson is ugly with liberal whinny snowflakes and honestly I'm sick of it. This is the United States of America and there is public land and I'm the public. How can the state and Federal Government own land when the Constitution say it can't. Other then Military reverse because they fire and drop live munitions on them I'm staying out. But public land is public land and I'm the public. Why shouldn't we be able to shoot on any public land? As long of course as it's done safely. Not near roads or structures. Other then that why shouldn't we? This state trust bull Sh#t is local politicians grabbing land so they can buy it for themselves then turn around and sell to a developer. No one, including liberal tree hugging snow flakes complains when houses and golf courses, or the one chapping my bubblegum. Bike lanes through Military Bases so bubblegum head liberals can spend bubblegum loads of money on bike bubblegum and ride along with other want to be's. Look I'm sick of all the BS. And yes I'm a bit whinny here. But where with in 20 or 30 minutes of Tucson can I go shooting with going to a local government run range. I just really want to test fire some guns I've made and honestly I don't want big brother watching me. Just want to shoot for an hour or so maybe more maybe less. I'm spending enough in fuel I really don't want to pay to shoot guns after all I paid for all the parts on the weapon and ammo. Why do I have to pay to shoot?

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top