So I want to get into reloading...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by CFletch, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Will be interesting to see how they perform for you.

The whackem may be slow, but was economical enough and will give you a good enough idea as to if you want to take the next step up in reloading equipement. And for a first time, you reloaded them yourself and they are your creation.

2. Squidgie

Squidgie
    Utah

That's good to hear, about the ergo prime.

3. ma96782

ma96782 New Member

Humm...........this is from some old posts of mine. The links may not work.

Choose wisely and be safe.

Aloha, Mark

4. CFletch

CFletch
    California

The OP returns!

I loved the wackem, and have now graduated to a Lee Classic Turret press. When my next paycheck comes through I'll be getting the Lee Reloading Stand to mount the thing on.

I cannot thank the contributors to this thread enough. You guys got me started on something great, especially since I reload 45-70 (my stuff is about .40 a round vs $1.50 for store bought).

5. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear! My brother has a .45-70 I've yet to shoot, can't wait to take it out.

6. CFletch

CFletch
    California

I reloaded for a handi-rifle, which is the lightest long-gun I am aware of that shoots the round. With full "marlin" loads it's a blast. It kicks, but it's more of a push, not sharp like 30-06 or similar high-velocity rounds.

7. GunBoy

GunBoy
    Salt Lake City, UT

I'm considering getting into reloading too. When i do, i'll check back here.

8. CFletch

CFletch
    California

you won't regret it if you do. With the Lee Classic "wackem" and Ergo Prime hand-primer I had less than $60 into it, iirc, excluding components. Although that is best suited to small numbers of rounds, since it is meticulous. It does allow you to get started very inexpensively though, and teaches you the basics.

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner
    Gone

Congratulations on joining the reloading addiction. I'm still using a Chucker Jr. a buddy gave me a few years ago.

10. thorborg

thorborg
    oregon

I also started with the lee hand loader in 270 about the same time, Never did move on and today I have it in six different calibers with 45-70 and 45 colt loaded monthly.( I shoot at least once a month). Over the years I added a triple beam scale, vibratory polisher, a small arbor press so I dont need to hammer the stuff, and a powder measure. in about three evenings (with a some little improvements made over the years) i can load three hundred rounds in a couple of hours per evening. Since I have more time than money it works for me. it all starts with buying two or three hundred rounds of good factory loads for the brass, as the little loaders neck size only you only want to shoot your reloads in the gun you fired the factory loads in. though this may seem limiting you'll find you can load most many times before you'll need to trim case length. I buy cast lead for target but some will hunt well also, and produce good quality stuff for slightly more than half factory price. If you want to tweek for speed and performance and take advantage of some wonderful performing bullets not generally available in off the rack factory loads you'll definately need some good books and a good scale and chronograph and patients. they will not be lower cost than factory but you will make your guns all they can be. Once you move into tweeking, start low and work up slow. keep it clean, check and recheck, work without distraction and you'll never have a misfire or trouble.I've made thousands of rounds over 47 years with out any duds and enjoyed every moment.

11. erudne

erudne Member

I know PPL that do all their reloading with a Lee, you can find them used as well!

Dunerunner likes this.
  12. erudne

erudne Member

natchezss.com
    carries a line of budget reloading gear

Dunerunner likes this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner
    Gone

Single stage and progressive Lee presses are affordable and, I too know many reloaders who use them exclusively.

14. badbob85037

badbob85037
    Phoenix

I got started with a little Lee Breech Lock press The press with some options is about $80 bills. I don't know if you can still get it with a set of dies but if you can it will save you on your dies It takes standard dies and I could load all pistol and rifle rounds on this little press. You will save a lot of time if you get a lee auto primmer. I use a couple 4 station turret presses Just make sure when you decide reloading is for you get a Dillion reloading press. The one I got I have had for at least 20 years. It,s been through 6 primmer feeds. I came out of my attic and kicked it destroying the powder hopper and the charging die. Two years ago I had the thing completely rebuilt and it would have cost more than I payed for it but with Dillions presses when they say for life they mean it. Feeling a little bad I tried to buy some decapping pins. No way they gave them to me. If I need a part it will be here in 2 days tops. No company stands by their product like Dillion.

15. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

That's great to hear. I haven't got into reloading yet, but when I do I plan on going with a Dillion setup from the get-go.

16. badbob85037

badbob85037
    Phoenix

If you need a powder dipper make one with an empty case and a 16 penny nail
    Use an old barbecue rotisserie to polish your brass
    Stand your brass up in a pan, leave the top of the round above water and heat it with a flame. It will make the brass soft and make the brass last a lot longer. I have .357 I have reloaded for 25 years.

Then when you decide you want to reload you will say 'I must I made all this junk to make it EZ.

Joe Link likes this.
  17. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Out West
    Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the tips, Bob!

18. CAMPMEAT

CAMPMEAT
    Tubac Az.

I bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load then added. I have about $1000 into mine.

Joe Link likes this.