JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even after a hacker at Defcon showed that smart guns aren't all that smart, advocates for new firearm technology aren't worried.

At the Smart Gun Symposium in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, supporters discussed how upgrading firearms with gun-locking features like fingerprint scanners and radio-frequency identification tags could help protect police and prevent shootings. They also dismissed concerns that hackers could find ways to trick the features.

Smart guns are seen as one way to stem the tide of violence that's risen over the last decade, with more than 360 mass shootings in the US during 2016. Silicon Valley believes it can help through high-tech weapons with triggers that won't pull in the wrong hands, or that employ a radio signaled lock. After the San Bernardino, California, mass shooting in 2015, then-president Barack Obama called for a federal study on smart-gun technology in the hopes that it would improve firearm safety standards.

Like all connected devices though, smart guns aren't immune to hacks. At the Defcon security conference last week, a hacker who goes by the name of "Plore" demonstrated how he tricked the Armatix IP1 -- a smart pistol that locks unless it's near a watch with the proper radio signal -- using only $15 worth of magnets.

At the symposium, two smart-gun makers played down the threat of hacks against the connected weapons, calling it a "nuisance" but not a roadblock.

Smart-gun makers want more people to try hacking high-tech guns

and vehicle related deaths...

I think it's criminal that libs prefer having more dead kids, instead of implementing the nra sponsered Eddie Eagle program which would keep children safer from guns, all because they love gun-shot kids as they believe every new gun-shot kid brings them that much closer to banning all guns--Democrats are truly the "Baby Killer Party"

Smack a liberal and make my day

yes, ban guns from the law abiding. that way we'll be at our governments mercy and the criminals who dont obey laws anyway will be the ones with guns.

if it comes to that point, i will no longer be law abiding.

New Resource Reviews

Back Top