JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Simple, lets toss ideas and help each other out. Depending on where you live in this great country there is always a threat to our way of life and things that can make the crazies go crazy!

What event are you trying to be ready for?
What do you have in your vehicle to get you home to loved ones?
What if your vehicle doesn't run or the roads are gone?
Can you communicate with loved ones?
Are you fit enough to make it home?

These are just some of the things to think about. Let me know your thoughts and what you are going to do.

The big event for me would likely be an earth quake. With that in mind I always keep my truck above 1/2 tank of diesel and hope that I can take the side roads most of the way home. The last thing I want is to get caught in town with a bunch of wigged out people that are looting or tearing things up.

If I need to abandon my rig I always have a go bag with all the essentials for the time of year. 5 days worth of food and water. two pistols with spare mags and soon a AR pistol in 300 black out.

I figured worse case scenario it would take me three days to walk home. Keep in mind this is a 25 min drive for me most days. Two way radio for when I reach a distance that it will work to let my wife know I am ok.

Mine is much like your's especially after reading how'd we fair in an Cascadia event. In addition to what you've stated I have tennis shoes in the trunk in the summer and Gortex boots in the winter plus a winter coat and thermal hat.

We recently had a "Snow day" that turned a 35 minute commute into a 3.5 hour circus...It was a great reminder to always be prepared.

Mine is much like your's especially after reading how'd we fair in an Cascadia event. In addition to what you've stated I have tennis shoes in the trunk in the summer and Gortex boots in the winter plus a winter coat and thermal hat.

We recently had a "Snow day" that turned a 35 minute commute into a 3.5 hour circus...It was a great reminder to always be prepared.

This is just it. Imagine what a earth quake would do. :eek:

Ya and you live in the heart of where it would be ugly! I know like four members that we all agreed to meet up at a known location for security in numbers if it came down to that.

Yep, this area would be total chaos.

I travel so much (is some seasons) my nickname is "WALDO" and the wife named the dog after me. I drive from the Mid Atlantic, to the Southwest, and to Central Alaska. My vehicle is a Ford F-350 Superduty with a cap on it for this 3-5 month trip. The dog and I have enough food for a few weeks, tent, AR-10, Rem 870 Marine, a Wild West CoPilot, rucksack, water purification, clothing, and boots. (when going through Canada) in the lower 48, this includes sidearms and suppressors (these I already have in a weapons locker at the house in Alaska). For commo, I use a Satellite transceiver to keep family and friends informed of status and location, cell phone for layer two of coms, and for the final layer of coms are radio transceivers in a few bands for ground too air, and ground too ground. Tools, chainsaw, axes, chains and a 16.5-ton winch with accessories I try to stay off interstates when possible and have extended (50 Gal) diesel tank for boonie travel.
This is my practice to get anywhere when necessary.

In the trunk of the car:

An ice chest with wheels & handle. Inside the chest, an inflatable raft that's big enough to carry my wife, me, and our gear. (Might have to cross the Willamette to get home after the big earthquake). A pump to inflate the raft. A couple of take-down oars.

The get-home bag, packed with food, etc. A tarp or two. Parachute cord. Knives, hatchet. Assorted medicines. A couple of armored Life-straws. Lighters and cooking/eating utensils. Road flares (easy to make fires with them, even in the rain.) Soap & toiletries. A bunch of coin tissues. Flashlight & batteries. A hand-crank radio.

Probably forgot about a few things. Basically it's just enough stuff to get a geezer-dude and his elder-babe home without starving or dying from exposure.

DCD058A6-2A93-46C8-8B6D-4B7A5A05F48B.jpeg

D49DC9A6-657A-4083-9D45-D5CF3D0A60C2.jpeg

F411EC9D-1C39-44E5-A422-4269C4AACA96.jpeg

dont have anything on my truck but i am well prepared for a SHTF situation, stored food, ammo, guns, knives, cloths, bows, arrow. Etc. i am good to go.

dont have anything on my truck but i am well prepared for a SHTF situation, stored food, ammo, guns, knives, cloths, bows, arrow. Etc. i am good to go.

I reckon if that kind of situation does happen, we're all going to need to rely on each other more than we do now. Being able to access clean water, and being able to grow food, will probably be right at the top of the list of "most important things".

Then there's medical, dental, etc - all the stuff that most of us take for granted. People who have skills in those fields will be extremely important. Toilet paper could become a very valuable trading commodity. So someone who knows how to make paper would be good to know.

We have some food set back, and could probably get through a winter - but we would still need seeds, water, land, tools, etc in order to grow enough food to get us through the next winter. (If it turned into a long-term collapse of society.)

I guess what I'm rambling on about is the need for an organized community, if a long-term collapse happens. A few months of food stores and some weaponry/hunting tools are just a start.

I reckon if that kind of situation does happen, we're all going to need to rely on each other more than we do now. Being able to access clean water, and being able to grow food, will probably be right at the top of the list of "most important things".

Then there's medical, dental, etc - all the stuff that most of us take for granted. People who have skills in those fields will be extremely important. Toilet paper could become a very valuable trading commodity. So someone who knows how to make paper would be good to know.

We have some food set back, and could probably get through a winter - but we would still need seeds, water, land, tools, etc in order to grow enough food to get us through the next winter. (If it turned into a long-term collapse of society.)

I guess what I'm rambling on about is the need for an organized community, if a long-term collapse happens. A few months of food stores and some weaponry/hunting tools are just a start.

:s0101: and welcome to SWFA Howard!

Not living in AZ I always wonder how different it is to grow food in the dust and heat than it is for us in our region.

Not living in AZ I always wonder how different it is to grow food in the in the dust and heat than it is for us in our region.

Definitely different than it is here (I'm on a farm just west of Salem, Oregon).

My family in the Deep South has a longer growing season than we do here, and can grow okra and purple-hull peas much better there.

I would imagine that water is even more important when living in the desert. I can see digging for water or needing a well with a generator to operate it. Which brings in all kinds of things to think about.

I talk to people all the time about solar or generator for water wells..... the problem with a SHTF situation is that anything you have - somebody else also needs, and they won't be shy about taking it by force. Then you have to defend and protect it if you want to keep it.

It for sure is a tough scenario.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top