JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, So I was at the range a few weeks back and overheard a convo about how a guy fills his mags with both JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) & FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). His premise was that if he needed more penetration he's have it on hand as he stacked his mags with alternating ammo types.

I have my own opinion on this, but curious what others might say.

My question would be self defense against what?

A bear? A human behind cover?

Really situation dependent, but I think the idea is preparing for all situations with one solution.
Would be like mixing buckshot and slugs in a defense shotgun Magazine.

Only real problem would be over penetration with the FMJ, if used in a situation that didn't include a target thru cover.

Another option is gun loaded with HP, and spare mag with FMJ.

I'm not giving my opinion on use.

Actually, this has some merit, Let me 'Splain!
Back in the 1898 time frame, the U.S. Army was looking for a new fighting rifle, and with the obvious choice being Paul Mauser, they took a long hard look at how the solders would be fighting and what might be asked of them! On Orders from the Army, any rifle adopted must include a Magazine cut off that would allow single rounds to be fed into the breach while the mag could be kept charged with standard ammo of the day!
We look at that today and scratch our heads, but back in those days, a solder was expected to be a marksman and capable of multiple tasks with his rifle! General fighting was done with Standard issue ball ammo, but sniping and demo were also with in his skill set, so he could also carry several different rounds, tracer, armor piercing, heavy penetration, and sniping specific ammo! With a real war looming, we accepted the 1903 Springfield rifle as the new weapon we would be using, and boy was it a stunningly accurate and capable rifle, even by modern standards!

Lessons learned, the system was rarely used, most men choosing to leave the mag switch to "ON" and could feed from standard stripper clips and run the gun effectively that way, while still retaining the ability to single load specialized ammo in a loaded rifle!

Pretty slick idea, quite useful, and as civilian surplus, these became highly sought after for savvy hunters and outdoorsmen.

Today, with modern ammo, mixed loading is a bad idea, especially hand guns for defensive use!
What If you need to shoot more then once?
What if that first round is not a Hollow point?
What if the next round isn't?
What about over penetration?
Is that FMJ going to hurt some one after it passes through a tango ( 9mm is famous for this)

I get why they would do it in a fighting rifle!

But for today's uses and for self defense in my carry pistol not a chance!!! This sounds like someone who thinks they are an operator and wants to be one but couldn't pass the physical.

Just my .02 for what its worth

I normally carry a mixed load in my pistol or revolver (unless it is work where I am restricted to factory HPs and then GOLD DOT or HSC). I have more threat around the house (AZ and AK) from nature than people. In AZ the first load I carry is CCI #4 Birdshot for the surprise rattlesnakes then good magnums for the pigs and mountain lions, in AK a cowboy load for game them Hard cast or penetrators for bears. When I go into town or where people are around I carry a work gun. I ALWAYs have a rifle or shotgun (or both if working) in the vehicle.

I normally carry a mixed load in my pistol or revolver (unless it is work where I am restricted to factory HPs and then GOLD DOT or HSC). I have more threat around the house (AZ and AK) from nature than people. In AZ the first load I carry is CCI #4 Birdshot for the surprise rattlesnakes then good magnums for the pigs and mountain lions, in AK a cowboy load for game them Hard cast or penetrators for bears. When I go into town or where people are around I carry a work gun. I ALWAYs have a rifle or shotgun (or both if working) in the vehicle.

But you don't mix the mags correct?

I carry a charged Rifle with ammo intended for the days task, in an urban setting, Jacketed Soft Points, and for most of the time in the wilds, the same ammo! For Large Bears, I switch to heavy hard cast solids ( depending on which Rifle) or I carry Jacketed heavies of the Woodleigh or Norma Professional line, some times Norma Orex, depending on expected species! Urban usually sees a semi auto, while the wilds is ether a bolt action or a large lever gun!
For Pistol, urban gets a mid weight hollowpoint in 4 of the 5 mags, and heavy solids in the last mag, and in the wilds, I switch the last mag to the lead mag! Just have to remember to switch them out!
For the wheel guns ( Magnum), it's always a heavy cast conical loaded to the max!
Never a mixed load in the gun or in the mags.
the one exception being a ShotGun, my Winny 97 gets 2 rounds of "T" shot, followed by three of 00 Buck and 5 rounds of slugs ride the side saddle! Pretty much the same if I'm using the 870 super or the 1187 Super, only difference is capacity, with the 870 holding the most loaded in the gun! To me, shotguns are a pretty narrow niche, so their use is usually limited to car/truck carry as back up, or Home Defense!

OK, So I was at the range a few weeks back and overheard a convo about how a guy fills his mags with both JHP (Jacketed Hollow Point) & FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). His premise was that if he needed more penetration he's have it on hand as he stacked his mags with alternating ammo types.

I have my own opinion on this, but curious what others might say.

This is like the most seriously FUDD stuff ever. I think Ura-Ki hit on it really solidly, this was maybe solid advise up until some time in the 80's or so when really decent hollowpoint bullets that had more than some passing thought put into them. Modern bonded hollow points are engineered to give you the penetration, weight retention, and stopping power. FMJ is just going to icepick through and while it might penetrate is also less likely to kill, this is why everyone who isn't required to use FMJ (military) uses hollow-points, while the military complains about how their bullets don't kill anyone.

Actually, this has some merit, Let me 'Splain!
Back in the 1898 time frame, the U.S. Army was looking for a new fighting rifle, and with the obvious choice being Paul Mauser, they took a long hard look at how the solders would be fighting and what might be asked of them! On Orders from the Army, any rifle adopted must include a Magazine cut off that would allow single rounds to be fed into the breach while the mag could be kept charged with standard ammo of the day!
We look at that today and scratch our heads, but back in those days, a solder was expected to be a marksman and capable of multiple tasks with his rifle! <SNIP>

Yep, like I said 1880's thinking.

"While the military complains about how their bullets don't kill anyone."

Maybe because they have to shoot small caliber rounds. Yeah, they wound, the thought being that a wounded soldier will tie up several others, but the current crop of targets don't care about their comrades. Perhaps that is why they have DMR operators for the real threats, usually shooting 7.62 NATO.

S u b R o s a

Maybe because they have to shoot small caliber rounds. Yeah, they wound, the thought being that a wounded soldier will tie up several others, but the current crop of targets don't care about their comrades. Perhaps that is why they have DMR operators for the real threats, usually shooting 7.62 NATO.

S u b R o s a
Problem with that is the wounded targets can still kill you and your team. My last deployment they felt sorry for the Old guy and I carried a 16 1/4 inch barreled M-14 (Selector switched worked fine) and a 1911A1 in .45 so I didn't have that problem. The M-9 (which didn't work the first time tried) was for an extended threaded barrel.
The three on the right were mine, the rest were the team I was with.

Hide TF-7 c.jpg

S u b R o s a

The thought more generally is that a 5.56 allows you to carry 3 rounds for every one round of .308. In a world where only hits count having more bullets is always better. The real problem is this anachronism:

"The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which
expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard enve-
lope which does not entirely cover the core or is pierced with incisions."
Declaration (IV,3) concerning Expanding Bullets. The Hague, 29 July 1899.

We are no longer fighting against adversaries who realize the horrors of war and seek to reduce them. Our new adversaries seek to win through abject moral terror.

I'm not in the military, never have been, but I pay close attention to what they're doing from a contract and performance perspective. Where my ammo matters, I pay the bills, I get to decide what to buy, as such I buy the most deadly bullets I can. For this 5.56 is great.

For the record I wouldn't want to be hit by a 5.56 round!! In the Army they did a demonstration and shot a empty ammo can. As you can imagine the hole going in was small but it blew the whole back of the can out.

I realize this is on steel and not human or animal flesh but the round does its job for what its intended for.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top