JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have the same problem in Nevada. The cheat grass gets so dry, a single spark can ignite the stuff and it burns at around an acre in sixty seconds. It goes up as if it has an accelerant on it. If a shooter starts a fire on a Red Flag day, he faces a $10,000 fine for doing so. A measly $10,000 fine to extinguish a $5 million fire is a genuine bargain, but I do not have $10,000. Do you? When it's a Red Flag day, I do not shoot. Period. I do not want Carson City to outright, year-round disallow shooting in these wonderful deserts to which I came from Northern Virginia for that express purpose...

We had a single spark ignite a fire at my work the other day....
Dried dead grass and weeds went up in a heartbeat. We got the fire out before the fire department rolled up, but that's because we had plenty of water and hoses available to us. If the same thing happened in the desert - it would all burn! I am looking forward to some heavy rains, cooler temps and the desert to be opened back up again!

Dried dead grass and weeds went up in a heartbeat.
I know we've already had one shooting-related desert fire this season, and maybe two. To what degree of dimbulb does someone have to be to go out there and shoot when common sense says not to do so? The $10,000 fine was instituted to warn shooters to not shoot on Red Flag days but like speed limits, there are those who ignore the laws-- and we who abide them get the shaft. It's late on September 7. I think fire season ends at 0001 PDT on October 1. I can delay shooting until then; will make keeping ten grand in my pocket that much easier.

i meant to ask if any one knew of a place in AZ that is not banned. Some parts of AZ are not affected by fire restrictions.
Understood.

Only BLM and forest service is banned. I know people are still shooting out by Florence, but it is still really dry, so the risk of fire is still there.

I think the prudent thing to do at this point is wait just a little longer. We are almost there!

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Sandy, UT

New Resource Reviews

Back Top