JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm surprised no one in Arizona has said anything about this. Has anyone noticed the increase in No Shooting signs going up the last couple years around Arizona. All state trust land has been put off limits to shooters. These lands can still be hunted on but don't get caught sighting in your weapon. I have also seen lame excuses used to keep shooters off land. According to land maps that Army
Reserve base built a couple years ago West of Phoenix, North of I-10 on Watson Road the only land owned, leased or what ever is the land inside the walls of the small base yet right past the base is a big sign saying 'no trespassing putting off limits the North side of White Tanks to everyone. I wrote the governor and as can be expected I received no reply. I am starting to believe the woman he put to head the State Trust land is a gun grabber.

The web page for this state trust land use to hit you in the face with it's no shooting as soon as you signed on But this last time I saw no mention. One voter questioning some shady goings on don't seem to cause much of a fuss. So maybe if a few of you ask the same questions we can get an answer.

I'm surprised no one in Arizona has said anything about this. Has anyone noticed the increase in No Shooting signs going up the last couple years around Arizona. All state trust land has been put off limits to shooters. These lands can still be hunted on but don't get caught sighting in your weapon. I have also seen lame excuses used to keep shooters off land. According to land maps that Army
Reserve base built a couple years ago West of Phoenix, North of I-10 on Watson Road the only land owned, leased or what ever is the land inside the walls of the small base yet right past the base is a big sign saying 'no trespassing putting off limits the North side of White Tanks to everyone. I wrote the governor and as can be expected I received no reply. I am starting to believe the woman he put to head the State Trust land is a gun grabber.

The web page for this state trust land use to hit you in the face with it's no shooting as soon as you signed on But this last time I saw no mention. One voter questioning some shady goings on don't seem to cause much of a fuss. So maybe if a few of you ask the same questions we can get an answer.

Things You Need to Know About Recreation on Arizona Trust Land
  • Arizona Trust Land is land managed by the State Land Department
    Trust Land is not public land!

• A recreation permit is required to camp, hike or travel on Trust Land that is designated as open for recreation
  • A recreation permit is an agreement between you (the responsible casual user) and the Department, to allow limited recreational activities conditional on your continued responsible behavior (see terms and conditions)

Why do I need a permit to go on State Trust land for recreation purposes and how do I obtain a recreational permit?
Arizona State Trust lands are not "public lands", as are Federal lands under the management of the U.S. Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management. Federal "public lands" are managed for the benefit and use of the public, while State Trust lands are managed for the benefit of 13 Trust beneficiaries, which include the public schools and prisons. The Land Department's trust management responsibilities include requiring a permit or lease and charging a fee for use of Trust land. Exceptions to this requirement are licensed hunters and fishers, actively pursuing game or fish, in-season, and certain archaeological activities permitted by the Arizona State Museum.
A 'Recreational Use Permit' is temporary and revocable and does not permit commercial, competitive or group events. Lands leased for agriculture, mining, commercial, or military purposes are not open to recreational use. Other State Trust Lands may be closed to some or all recreational uses due to hazardous conditions, dust abatement, in coordination with the Arizona Game & Fish Department or based on certain State, County or Local laws or ordinances.
Recreational Permit allows the signatory limited privileges to use State Trust Land for some recreation. Recreation under this permit is limited to hiking, horseback riding, picnics, bicycling, photography, sightseeing, and bird watching. Camping is restricted to no more than 14 days per year. Off-Highway Vehicular travel on State Trust Land is not permitted without proper licensing.
The holder of an Arizona State Land Department (ASLD) Recreation Permit (Permittee) shall respect the land, the rights and improvements of other authorized users, and exercise appropriate discretion to protect native plants, cultural and historic sites and the environment. Permittee shall stay on existing and designated roads and trails. Permittee shall comply with all Federal, State, County, and Municipal laws and ordinances, while on State Trust Land.
The Permittee shall not use State Trust Land that is closed by the State Land Commissioner. The Permittee shall not: disrupt plant and wildlife on, blaze trails across, visit historic and prehistoric archeological sites on, or remove natural products from State Trust Land. The Permittee shall not cause any refuse or allow any other foreign objects to be deposited on State Trust Land. The Permittee shall not discharge a firearm on State Trust Land, except pursuant to lawful and licensed hunting.

I think a permit is only for quads and motor bikes. If you have a full size truck I'm pretty sure you don't need one. But that woman the governor put in charge of the land has put up a bunch of signs saying NO SHOOTING. You can still hunt on state trust land but don't get caught sighting in your weapon. About 6 months ago I wrote the governor asking him what was up on banning shooting on the land but like all elected chumps I got no answer.

The National Guard opened a small base on Miller Road just north of I-10 at the base of the White Tanks. I checked and the only land they own is the base it's self. Yet there is a sign posted a few yards north of the base with NO TRESPASSING. It seems all land she can make off limits she is doing so. The whole mountain range there is no way to get anywhere near it. When I first moved to West Phoenix I could walk out my front door and shoot. Now it's a major road trip. I think it time to write another letter only this time be a little more demanding. I checked out some of this land she is protecting. Looked like a garbage dump to me and up to a year ago it was never a problem or marked as state trust land.

Arizona LDA-LAND Department Permits can be applied for online at this website:

Recreational Permit Portal | Arizona State Land Department

An individual permit costs $15. A family permit is $20. You might especially note the second paragraph under Responsibilities:

"The Permittee(s) shall not discharge a firearm on State Trust land, except pursuant to lawful and licensed hunting. An ASLD Recreational Permit is not required for individuals with a valid hunting and/or fishing license whom are actively pursuing game or fish. To obtain a hunting or fishing license from the Arizona Game and Fish Department, please click here (AZ.gov Arizona's Official Website - Hunting and Fishing Online License Sales)."

Alex

At my last house, APS(power co.) bought a piece of land and decided to gift it to the state--They let me know right away that if I wanted to continue walking my dog on their 'new' land I needed to buy this permit. I let them know me & the dog had been walking over there for the last decade & where they could shove their 'permit'

So sorry if my bad attitude annoys anyone--it's been annoying me for awhile too

Maybe we should all bring our dogs out there to "voice" our opinion! :)

(BTW, I can't help thinking that this is how the American Indians must have felt when we did the same thing to them.)

Maybe we should all bring our dogs out there to "voice" our opinion! :)

(BTW, I can't help thinking that this is how the American Indians must have felt when we did the same thing to them.)

Unfortunately, since the victors wrote the history, we will never know

When I lived over there people would dump their unwanted trash over there
They'd speed off when they saw me running after them trying to get a plate#

At my last house, APS(power co.) bought a piece of land and decided to gift it to the state--They let me know right away that if I wanted to continue walking my dog on their 'new' land I needed to buy this permit. I let them know me & the dog had been walking over there for the last decade & where they could shove their 'permit'

So sorry if my bad attitude annoys anyone--it's been annoying me for awhile too
If you ask me your attitude is way to nice. Some in this country think they own something. Don't pay the taxes on it and see who owns it and everything else you think is yours. There are only 35 duties of the Federal Government. no more no less. Trillions in debt it's easy to see they do it poorly or not at all. Yet never have I seen a politician retire anything but a rich man. 35 things to do and over 2,000 federal agencies to do it and we have these useless people wanting to give the government even more power. They just shut down the area in the south white tank mountains to all shooters. A woman was killed by a stray bullet a few weeks ago. I was out there when it happened. The largest group out there was showing everyone how not to shoot safe Constant firing with their backstop a wash to their west. It was my first time I had been out there in a few years but it would have been my last if that poor woman had died or not. I don't consider a bullet a stray if fired by someone that knows better in the first place but my father was a cop and when in a group they are no better than a group of bikers drinking it up in a bar. I watched this go on all day I could see some were on duty by the emergency lights flashing on these cars. A park ranger drove by my boys and I a couple times probably checking to see if we were being safe.But what park rangers is going to tell a bunch of yahoos with badges they are endangering people's lives.

Sorry I got so far off course on the subject but it really teed me and when hearing of this woman's death it made it impossible to keep it to myself.

I remember the woman's death and it's always sad when needless death occurs. Since then I was out by mile marker 15 myself and there were
plenty of folks shooting out that way. I didn't see a single sign saying No Shooting. I was a couple miles away from where the lady was killed.

I remember as a child when a couple of times the family unit was out for a hike. If Mom or Dad heard shots fired, it was time to get back in the car and go hiking elsewhere--this 'common sense' thinking does still work today

Some listen for gun fire while I listen for motor bikes. More than once they have come out of nowhere right in the path of the gun fire.The shooting happened on the north side of I-10 off Miller Rd. When I first moved here I could shoot by opening my front door now it's a 59 mile drive to get where it's safe. I've been driving out a little past Arlington and driving down Aqua Caliente Road. Any further I'll start digging a shooting range in my and my neighbors backyards. Common sense is getting to be a rare quality in this country, just look at the votes hilary got.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top