JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Sell firearm to someone with out of state drivers license??

• Yes.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Maybe - depends on the person.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No.

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Not a snowball's chance in Hades.

Votes: 14 31.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have someone interested in my Rock Island 1911. He is coming to look at it this afternoon. He gave me his information for the bill of sale, but he has a California drivers license. Does anyone see a problem selling to him?? He does live in Phoenix - probably has not taken the time to get an Arizona license yet. Has anyone sold to anyone with an out of state license?? The exact pistol I am selling does not appear on the California 'approved' firearm list (how ignorant is the leadership in that state??). Just looking for some input on what you think. Let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for chiming in. The other issue is that I checked his address and it is a business address. I may just tell him that I am going to pass. I do have someone who offered what I wanted in trade (Sig P365), but it is older (built in July 2018). It will include 300 rounds of ammunition, new sights, new firing pin, original accessories, and two spare 12 rounds magazines.

I emailed the guy and told him that I am backing out. Since FFLs are not allowed to sell a pistol to someone with an out of state license, I don't want to take any chances. Plus, this firearm is not on the California 'approved' list (don't know why - the version in .38 Super is on the list).

GOOD MOVE. Business address makes it even more suspect, sounds particularly iffy. The other guy with the trade means the gun is less than a year old, I'd meet him somewhere to TEST FIRE, pay the extra bucks to be sure its what you want, get more info, etc.

I know the laws are different in AZ but I wouldn't sell to anyone that made the hairs on my neck stand up. Would be nothing worse than seeing something on the news and finding out that it was that guy with the gun you sold them.

It's good. I called it off, so no worries. Now I need to decide if I want to trade it for the P365, or hope that someone buys it and put the money towards a Kimber Raptor.

Just for an example if the "Buyer" has an Arizona ID Card but not an Arizona Drivers license it's a legal sale.

The Brady Law prohibits out of State sales. You made the right choice.

It's good. I called it off, so no worries. Now I need to decide if I want to trade it for the P365, or hope that someone buys it and put the money towards a Kimber Raptor.
Good choice!

77FEF6BE-33E9-4B74-BB1B-5590D3625589.jpeg

I have someone interested in my Rock Island 1911. He is coming to look at it this afternoon. He gave me his information for the bill of sale, but he has a California drivers license. Does anyone see a problem selling to him?? He does live in Phoenix - probably has not taken the time to get an Arizona license yet. Has anyone sold to anyone with an out of state license?? The exact pistol I am selling does not appear on the California 'approved' firearm list (how ignorant is the leadership in that state??). Just looking for some input on what you think. Let me know. Thanks.
Until he has proof of residency, which has a six month sandclock, he is not considered a legal state resident. Additionally, if he does not show he is permanently here, and takes an "unauthorized" firearm back to Commifornia, and they bust him for it, they'll also charge you. Best to ask him for proof of residency, and with that he can go to ADOT and get a state ID, even if he doesn't have the AZ license yet. Make a written sales receipt with copies of his proof of residency, ID card, your license, and agreed upon sales amount. Both sign and date it, both get copies.
THEN, and only then are you both protected. Him, if he stays here. You, no matter what he does.

Until he has proof of residency, which has a six month sandclock, he is not considered a legal state resident. Additionally, if he does not show he is permanently here, and takes an "unauthorized" firearm back to Commifornia, and they bust him for it, they'll also charge you. Best to ask him for proof of residency, and with that he can go to ADOT and get a state ID, even if he doesn't have the AZ license yet. Make a written sales receipt with copies of his proof of residency, ID card, your license, and agreed upon sales amount. Both sign and date it, both get copies.
THEN, and only then are you both protected. Him, if he stays here. You, no matter what he does.

What all you suggest sounds like more work than an FFL goes through--I'm not an officer of the law and I didn't agree to do the state's checking for them. If I want to sell a gun, I'm going to sell a gun--& when I do there won't be any log book or bill of sale or records made of the buyers drivers license or ccw #-- And I will continue to flag every post I see on Armslist that suggests a private sale is going to need to have a background check done

What all you suggest sounds like more work than an FFL goes through--I'm not an officer of the law and I didn't agree to do the state's checking for them. If I want to sell a gun, I'm going to sell a gun--& when I do there won't be any log book or bill of sale or records made of the buyers drivers license or ccw #-- And I will continue to flag every post I see on Armslist that suggests a private sale is going to need to have a background check done
That is your right to sell to whoever you wish. The question asked was if it was wise to sell a firearm to someone with only California identification. I responded to that question. For the record, I AM an FFL holder. If asked that by one of my own customers, they would receive the same advice. If you cannot handle sound, grounded, legally tested advice, that is not my problem, nor is it the problem of the person asking or this message board.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top