JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quick question about my new 110 .308. I usually start our reloading a new caliber with medium loads and work around till I get good groups, I usually determine where each bullet contacts the lands. With this gun I can't go over book max length! All my other guns have quite a bit of wiggle room. This one never showed the rifling marks on the bullets, just a shiny ring.

Here are some examples of other rifle rounds. You can see the imprint of the lands. On the .308 there is just s definite ring. WEEERRRDD! .308 is on the left.

a bullet length.JPG a bullet lenth.JPG

You need one of these. It's a dummy chamber; the riflings begin just after the lip. I set my bullets to fall just short of the lip by not more than one red hair. It works really well...

dummy-chamber.JPG

In my experience with the Savage model 10FP-LE, there's really nothing to be gained from pushing the bullet out further except problems running the rounds through the magazine. My gun will hold 1-2" groups with factory ammo as long as i do my part, and usually I'm more interested in cold bore shots than tight group size.

It's a dummy chamber; the riflings begin just after the lip. I set my bullets to fall just short of the lip by not more than one red hair. It works really well...
That's actually wrong; I did not explain very well what I meant. I set the bullets down and down in quarter-turn increments of the seating knob until the bullet no longer scrapes against the riflings. I have no idea what is the pitch of the seater's thread, so I can't say if I'm 0.005" off the lands or if I'm miles away at 0.010" off the lands. I just know that I'm clear plus whatever degree of rotation is required to get to the next cardinal point on the compass. If the bullet clears the riflings, it will provide for the easy locking of the bolt.

That's actually wrong; I did not explain very well what I meant. I set the bullets down and down in quarter-turn increments of the seating knob until the bullet no longer scrapes against the riflings. I have no idea what is the pitch of the seater's thread, so I can't say if I'm 0.005" off the lands or if I'm miles away at 0.010" off the lands. I just know that I'm clear plus whatever degree of rotation is required to get to the next cardinal point on the compass. If the bullet clears the riflings, it will provide for the easy locking of the bolt.
I would just be happy to find the rifling!

In my experience with the Savage model 10FP-LE, there's really nothing to be gained from pushing the bullet out further except problems running the rounds through the magazine. My gun will hold 1-2" groups with factory ammo as long as i do my part, and usually I'm more interested in cold bore shots than tight group size.
I guess I will have to be happy with book OAL. I'm used to seating my target rounds at different increments till I find the sweet-spot.

With mine ( 10 FCP) the rifling is aprox 7 thousandths ahead of the throat, and I could push the OAL, but find there is no real need!
Mine shoots 1/4 inch clover leafs at 100 all day long, with FACTORY Fed Gold Match, so again, no real reason to push things, 7 thou is plenty of jump to the lands! IF you wanted, you could finish ream with a match reamer to push it further, but I find it isn't needed for any of my Savages!
only one that did get changed was the 110 Lapua Magnum, which I reamed to 11 thousandths so it can take a 310 grain Bronze solid which are quite long for caliber!

With mine ( 10 FCP) the rifling is aprox 7 thousandths ahead of the throat, and I could push the OAL, but find there is no real need!
Mine shoots 1/4 inch clover leafs at 100 all day long, with FACTORY Fed Gold Match, so again, no real reason to push things, 7 thou is plenty of jump to the lands! IF you wanted, you could finish ream with a match reamer to push it further, but I find it isn't needed for any of my Savages!
only one that did get changed was the 110 Lapua Magnum, which I reamed to 11 thousandths so it can take a 310 grain Bronze solid which are quite long for caliber!
Thanks! After I get it broken in, I will see what it does.

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top