JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks,

I had a chance to inspect/fondle the recently-introduced Ruger MKIV, in both standard and .22/45 forms.

Wow, what a joy to safe/push button to field strip. The fancy barrel on the .22/45 will take some getting used-to (for me), but I'm liking them.

Anyone had a chance to get one dirty?

Not yet but a buddy of mine just bought one, so it won't be long. They look like awesome guns.

I remember when I was young and took my MKII apart for the first time. Had to take it to a gunsmith to get it put back together again :s0114:

I do enjoy my .22/45 MkII/III style but you have to run CCI or the like in it, otherwise it gets super cruddy within 300 rounds or so. Even then, it's breakdown time. Tried to get away with a ballistol bath and swab but nope, have to breakdown and de-muck.

I'm actually getting pretty good at it, but the MKIV literally destroys the older versions from a field service perspective.

The Colt Cadet .22, however, needs an (included) allen wrench to break down, but its just one screw and done. Will be (FINALLY!!!!!) be running it next week, and will do a report accordingly.

I do enjoy my .22/45 MkII/III style but you have to run CCI or the like in it, otherwise it gets super cruddy within 300 rounds or so. Even then, it's breakdown time. Tried to get away with a ballistol bath and swab but nope, have to breakdown and de-muck.

I'm actually getting pretty good at it, but the MKIV literally destroys the older versions from a field service perspective.

The Colt Cadet .22, however, needs an (included) allen wrench to break down, but its just one screw and done. Will be (FINALLY!!!!!) be running it next week, and will do a report accordingly.

Is CCI a lot cleaner than standard 22lr?

It is rhetorical, as .22 is pretty dirty. It does work best in the semi autos for me; maybe it's that I was working through some junk and the CCI was better in comparison.

It is rhetorical, as .22 is pretty dirty. It does work best in the semi autos for me; maybe it's that I was working through some junk and the CCI was better in comparison.

Ah I see what you mean. I know out of my rifles CCI minimags are more accurate, but I'm not sure if they're any cleaner.

Sold a MK3 awhile back and bought a MK4. Installed a rail and a Volquartsen trigger upgrade. Wow, what a difference. Highly recommended.

D9E4CBBB-0F22-4BD7-8C39-3A5D035449C2.jpeg FF7A2497-9903-4BAD-822E-27C9E40D14EA.jpeg

I can't believe all the people that say they have such a hard time with the MKI and MKII takedown and put back together procedure.
Have you ever thought about reading the directions that come with it ?
For you that can't comprehend what you read , try looking up a youtube video.
It really isn't that hard.

yz3Y6gt.jpg

I picked up a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and made a few modifications to get it ready for Steel Challenge Matches.

I added a compensator and my C-More sight.

This gun runs great with just about any ammo I've tried but I've found that CCI Blazers groups the best. It runs clean enough that I don't have to clean the gun between stages. CCI SV is nice because of less recoil but why give up the extra accuracy of the Blazers?

I can't believe all the people that say they have such a hard time with the MKI and MKII takedown and put back together procedure.
Have you ever thought about reading the directions that come with it ?
For you that can't comprehend what you read , try looking up a youtube video.
It really isn't that hard.
Both of mine came used and had no directions, either one of them. And YouTube (or the internet) wasnt even a dream back then. Eventually American Rifleman published an article on the MKI which walked thru the steps.. made a big difference. Understanding those facts really isnt that hard.

I had mine long before the internet also.
Back in those days it was quite a bit harder. You actually had to write a letter to get information , then you had to walk down and put it in the mailbox , then put the flag up on the mailbox , then wait for a reply. Yes it was much harder back then , but it wasn't really that hard.

Last Edited:
Figured I'd update, I ended up building one myself. This is by far one of my favorite guns, it always finds it's way into the range bag :s0155:

full.jpg

I've had my Ruger Mk IV Target for a couple of years now and I love it. I shoot it the best, but then it has the longest sight radius of all my handguns. On a recommendation, I use CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain copper-plated round nose 22LRs. I got a box of LRNs (lead round nose) by mistake one time. It's a little cheaper, but it's a dirty round - never again...

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top