JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was sitting at the desk reading something on the computer screen when a round cooked off in the drawer. Something richoted hit me on the belly and drew blood. Belly is an easy target. Never heard of or ever had this happen before. The bang/pop was nothing like the report that these shells make in chamber.

The drawer is plastic, the only electricity is the 5 volts for my backlit keyboard. Keyboard has no open wiring. 5 v dc seems a bit low for detonation of a primer.
Not hot, 80 with the A/C running.
Was not messing with the round in any way.
I have not found the brass or the projectile. There was a slight smell of gunpowder, but since I am olfactory challenged that would not help.
I do not know if this was an OEM or reload (by me) round. I don't even know the caliber, could be a 9mm or .45 acp. There was a couple of other rounds in the plastic drawer which have been removed.
Nothing sharp with enough mass to hit the primer. Yes a couple of pens but they weight less than a .45 round.
My remembering of College Physics says the projectile is heavier than the case so the case is probably what hit me. Looking on the floor I find nothing. I do not find the projectile in the drawer either.
Seriously doubt static electricity If the plastic drawer had become charged, the hair on my arms would move when I get them near the drawer.

I hate things that go bump with no explanation.

Anyone?

I'm not sure what to say because I'm an old firefighter, and the only way I've seen a round go off and travel any distance without being contained in the chamber of a gun barrel, they didn't go anywhere! They popped alright, and the case and bullet separated, but neither component traveled any distance. Now these were smokeless powder cartridges. I can't say with certainty black powder does the same but it should as it is an equal reaction. My only concern in those structure fires were firearms with one in the chamber, or bulk black powder in storage metal containers like heavy GI ammo cans (instant bomb). Remember as a stupid kid, throwing some old corroded ammo into a fire and running. Again loud pop but no movement of the case or bullet beyond separation. I have heard of fire starting with loose batteries moved around coming into electrical contact with flammables. In fact it's easy to start a fire with a battery and fine steel wool. Huh, electric charge setting off a primer that's a first I've heard. I think maybe something way back electric instead of a primer. Through a drawer to draw blood...do you know what caliber?

You spelled it correctly. Nice touch to include the little accent mark over the ending e...
My spell check was flagging it, and since it is a long time since i contributed to a spelling Bee I was no longer certain! I think that accent is called a tilde'. Or perhaps it's this one ~ which is used to change a canon into a can~on it is supposed to go above the n and change the
pronunciation to canyon. Darned if I can figure how to put it where it belongs. Just like putting a dash - above an e to give it the long ee sound.
Thanks!
Gabby
Now back to the mysterious explosion.

Last Edited:
I was sitting at the desk reading something on the computer screen when a round cooked off in the drawer. Something richoted hit me on the belly and drew blood. Belly is an easy target. Never heard of or ever had this happen before. The bang/pop was nothing like the report that these shells make in chamber.

The drawer is plastic, the only electricity is the 5 volts for my backlit keyboard. Keyboard has no open wiring. 5 v dc seems a bit low for detonation of a primer.
Not hot, 80 with the A/C running.
Was not messing with the round in any way.
I have not found the brass or the projectile. There was a slight smell of gunpowder, but since I am olfactory challenged that would not help.
I do not know if this was an OEM or reload (by me) round. I don't even know the caliber, could be a 9mm or .45 acp. There was a couple of other rounds in the plastic drawer which have been removed.
Nothing sharp with enough mass to hit the primer. Yes a couple of pens but they weight less than a .45 round.
My remembering of College Physics says the projectile is heavier than the case so the case is probably what hit me. Looking on the floor I find nothing. I do not find the projectile in the drawer either.
Seriously doubt static electricity If the plastic drawer had become charged, the hair on my arms would move when I get them near the drawer.

I hate things that go bump with no explanation.

Anyone?
Wow you are going to have to ask God about that one. Are you sure it was even your round?

I still have not found any evidence of a round, I did have some little button rechargeable batteries in the drawer as well. Tomorrow I am going to get the small vac and do the whole room and then sift the results. Maybe then I will find something to explain the noise in the drawer.

I found some energy laying about and did some serious cleaning. Found the brass and the projectile. The primer is missing in action, might have been devoured by the vacuum.

I was surprised that the projectile, 185 gr jacketed hollow point, had a slight dent in it, Was always convinced that if a round cooked off the brass was of greater danger than the projectile.
Any who, the mystery is solved at least the left over parts. As for why it happened in the first place I have not decided on a reason for that yet.

.45acp.jpg

I found some energy laying about and did some serious cleaning. Found the brass and the projectile. The primer is missing in action, might have been devoured by the vacuum.

I was surprised that the projectile, 185 gr jacketed hollow point, had a slight dent in it, Was always convinced that if a round cooked off the brass was of greater danger than the projectile.
Any who, the mystery is solved at least the left over parts. As for why it happened in the first place I have not decided on a reason for that yet.

View attachment 8628

I'm just clutching at straws here.
By any chance could that round have come in contact with any penetrating oil or Naptha or some sort of solvent, maybe even Brasso, that could have migrated inside the case and have caused a chemical reaction that ignited it. I remember being told not to use WD-40 to polish my brass because it could cause a dud or in some cases excess pressure, in either case that wouldn't be a good sceinerio with a round in my duty gun.
Gabby

View attachment 8628

No this drawer is dry and made of some plastic material. I have pretty much chalked this up and things that go bump in the night. Doubt I will ever know the true reason. The drawer is grounded sort of through the slide which is then attached to the frame of the desk. Desk on a tile floor. Since I do not move this desk often I do not have the pads on the bottom.

I've been a firefighter for many years so some experience at seeing cooked off rounds. Only danger I can see is rounds left in chambers of firearms! Left loose, rounds leave a popping noise all right, but neither the bullet or the case travels any distance...In fact the brass case is pretty intact and I suspect moves rearward as the powder burns. I never examined the primer, but plenty of room so it's not confined to not be able to move if it doesn't burn. There can't be explosive conditions unless you have confinement, like inside of a firearm chamber. Not a clue of the destruction of that brass you show. Absent is any powder residue...that's some clean burning powder? Also fail to see dented jacketed bullet??? No primer huh? Did you measure primer pocket to see if it might be enlarged? A large number of unknown things that don't add up to unknown round going off. Either heat, or a primer being detonated would be the only methods. However, the other signs you produce don't add anything to add to a detonation of an unknown cause. Oils or any chemical reactions to my knowledge would deaden, not create a ker boom. Many times in the Marines, I've witnessed run away autos, particularly the air cooled 30s, they do a run away cook off. The only way they were stopped was to twist the belt feeding them to cause them to jam. This was mostly training, as everyone knows that run that hot, barrels are throw aways! Reasons for deadly short busts is kinder on equipment too! I do believe that drawer of yours must be haunted, and just maybe someone is tampering with you?

The home office is off limits to anyone not known to me. I have two friends that have been in the room but not since Covid. Easier to close to the door to prying eyes than to answer all of the questions. The powder was 800x. Same stuff we use for our 12 gauge rounds. Keeps inventory lower. We used to use Clay's but when the power became unavailable for so long we chose another powder.

I have never shot the .30's you refer to. I did get to set off a M2 when father was still in the reserves. Mounted on a jeep and the whole platform moved when it fired. Would have been hell trying to make some fast turns. Needless to say my rounds were off in the general direction of the target. RHIP which I am sure you know the meaning of. Dad was a Colonel in Jag. Everyone want to be his friend.

I have used 800X and 700X both with loads with 45 ACP. Nothing spectacular with any either as far either being quirky, and noted mainly used as shotgun powders primary. I did note back when I used both, that they were fairly clean burning, and I used them mainly for cast 185 gr. semi wad cutter target loads. So they were pretty mildly loaded, and accurate in my 1911A1. In fact both burned a little cleaner than Clays, that was a little harder to find at times. Usually to find the brass casings totally in pieces like pictured, something else is going on...I've only seen this when a complete action has let loose and the action and brass scatters. Even then usually not that many pieces. You would have pieces sticking out and embeded all over that drawer and the action also. Rule out that!
Failed case alone usually the weak part of the brass, neat little crack follows the round contour around the case! Haunted drawer !!! or friend.

I'm guessing the small dent on the bullet may be from it resting against or close to something solid, and that caused the primer and case to travel away and equal and opposite forces were at work.

I had a upper level supervisor once tell me that it was not necessary to check the motor or transformer, just put bigger fuses in and it would clear. I had quickly checked the motor and was convinced it was ok. I wanted to TTR the transformer which was way beyond its normal life by 10 years or so. This equipment ran just fine before the event. He said to put 140 E fuses in instead of the 125 E's that normally went into the switch. This was an S&C air switch rated for 15kv ac and we were running it at 12470v ac. About 4 feet square and 9 feet high.
I got the fuses in arguing with him every step. Finally removed my personal lock and he said close the switch. I said no. He looked at me with contempt. I said first lets clear the area, he agreed to that, got everyone clear and he repeated the command. I said you used to be an electrician you do it. He walked over to the handle began the swing up to the closed position then the fool put his face close to the glass to verify the position of the switch. A large flash, loud noise and darkness occurred. The emergency generator turned on brought back the lights and mister upper management is sitting on the concrete 10 feet away. What happened were his words. You just experienced a bolted fault. Your in charge as he got up. I looked at him and said are you sure? People are running from all over wanting to know what happened. I looked at him and told him to get out of my building. He looked at me and said you do not have the authority to do that. The supervisor of the area walked up and got in his face, said, He does and I certainly do get out of my building!
I worked with a great bunch of guys, they started showing up with tools to help. I went to reset the 3000 amp main breaker, 12470v. Walked into the control room and asked the operator to please find out what was not responding, oh by the way you HAVE lost all of your water pumps. This building was the central plant for all of the chilled water for the facilitiy. Loosing the pumps on a hot day was a REALLY BIG deal.
The local supervisor asked WHEN? and I said I would let him know in 30 minutes. It took 10 minutes for lock out tag with everyone that was there. Some of these guys had never worked in this building before. 5 hours later got the pumps back on line. 6 hours later I was reprimanded for insubordination. The bubblegum bite that caused the problem kept my boss from leaving to reprimand me.
Several months later when I resigned for a much better paying job. bubblegum bite tried to explain to me why I was needed. I told him to remove the reprimand and give me a 10% raise and I would stay. He said no. My boss sitting in the chair and kept saying we told you not to piss him off. Give him what he wants. Nope nana not going to happen. A few years later he was investigated and found guilty for embezzlement.

I had a upper level supervisor once tell me that it was not necessary to check the motor or transformer, just put bigger fuses in and it would clear. I had quickly checked the motor and was convinced it was ok. I wanted to TTR the transformer which was way beyond its normal life by 10 years or so. This equipment ran just fine before the event. He said to put 140 E fuses in instead of the 125 E's that normally went into the switch. This was an S&C air switch rated for 15kv ac and we were running it at 12470v ac. About 4 feet square and 9 feet high.
I got the fuses in arguing with him every step. Finally removed my personal lock and he said close the switch. I said no. He looked at me with contempt. I said first lets clear the area, he agreed to that, got everyone clear and he repeated the command. I said you used to be an electrician you do it. He walked over to the handle began the swing up to the closed position then the fool put his face close to the glass to verify the position of the switch. A large flash, loud noise and darkness occurred. The emergency generator turned on brought back the lights and mister upper management is sitting on the concrete 10 feet away. What happened were his words. You just experienced a bolted fault. Your in charge as he got up. I looked at him and said are you sure? People are running from all over wanting to know what happened. I looked at him and told him to get out of my building. He looked at me and said you do not have the authority to do that. The supervisor of the area walked up and got in his face, said, He does and I certainly do get out of my building!
I worked with a great bunch of guys, they started showing up with tools to help. I went to reset the 3000 amp main breaker, 12470v. Walked into the control room and asked the operator to please find out what was not responding, oh by the way you HAVE lost all of your water pumps. This building was the central plant for all of the chilled water for the facilitiy. Loosing the pumps on a hot day was a REALLY BIG deal.
The local supervisor asked WHEN? and I said I would let him know in 30 minutes. It took 10 minutes for lock out tag with everyone that was there. Some of these guys had never worked in this building before. 5 hours later got the pumps back on line. 6 hours later I was reprimanded for insubordination. The bubblegum bite that caused the problem kept my boss from leaving to reprimand me.
Several months later when I resigned for a much better paying job. bubblegum bite tried to explain to me why I was needed. I told him to remove the reprimand and give me a 10% raise and I would stay. He said no. My boss sitting in the chair and kept saying we told you not to piss him off. Give him what he wants. Nope nana not going to happen. A few years later he was investigated and found guilty for embezzlement.

Geez.... I'm surprised he didn't tell you to just cut some copper piping of the same diameter to the right length and just slap 'em in there to replace them "pesky fuses"... it also sounds like he's lucky he didn't get his hand and face burned clean off. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Crossroads of the West Gun Show
Las Vegas, NV

New Resource Reviews

Back Top